cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 02:46 AM   #41
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
How about I hijack the thread back to the original topic...

ME... It's all about ME!

Ok... Really...

Do you see where I'm coming from Robin? I don't dispute the existance of a GSA, I don't care... I just think that nobody should push their political or idealogical agenda in public schools while using my tax dollars to pay for it.

Homosexuality is like any other "hot" issue out there. Those who agree with it want it to be a part of mainstream culture, those who disagree want it out. IMHO a high school is not the place for that debate.

Isn't there a Unitarian church nearby where they can meet? And the "key" club... Can't the local Rotarians sponsor those guys? Mrs. Hippie went to the Utah HS where the GSA thing blew up in everyone's face. The school board outlawed any non-academic clubs. Everybody thought it was such a tragedy... WHY?

Since when is the HS supposed to be the center of society and culture in our community? Mrs. Hippie was upset because they outlawed the "fencing club." Big freakin' whoop... The same kids went to a local fencing gym and told them what happened. The local gym decided to sponsor them and they met there from then on.

Guess what... THAT'S PERFECT! Let somebody else pay for the lights and heat and liability insurance. This is what community is for.

If you want to have a "service" oriented club then churches or other non-profit charities should be encouraged to let the kids in. In the long run, giving the NP a tax break or whatever you do to make them more inclined to take on a group like the GSA, will end up costing the people far less than doing it at the school and... IMHO... It will get done better.

Sorry Hippie, I got distracted.

It seems like our differnce of opinion have nothing to do with the GSA and everything to do with our views of the role of government.

I'm a liberal with a bit of Libertarianism in my blood.

Both liberals and conservatives look at a situation like this and say, "Long live freedom of expression and the free market of ideas."

But the liberal has this extra bit of dialogue go through his brain:

'Long live freedom of expression and the free market of ideas... but how strong can the free market of idea be if there are no forums in which to discuss and debate those ideas? The conservative has his answer to this question -- private parties will pay for the advocacy of their pet private projects. But is the free market of ideas better or worse when the only voices that find an audience are those that are backed by money? What about kids with good ideas, but who don't have money? Or who have ideas that are not popular with adults. Or how about the ideas that are really good, but simply need a long time to take root before they can work a mircaculous change in the world? The liberal's answer is simple. The free market of ideas benefits when there exist SOME forums where people can express their POV for FREE. But NOTHING is free! Every square inch of 'forum' is owned by someone or some group of people or the government. Okay then, if not free then how about damn cheap? How much does it cost for public libraries and public schools to lend their rooms to taxpaying citizens for public use? 75 CENTS! That is the total cost of electricity and heat and insurance for thrity minutes of use of a single classroom??? Now divide that by the number of people at the meeting and get a per/person rate. Hell, there may be no free forums, but together we can pool a TINY amount of resources and strengthen the free market of ideas in a significant way!'

Liberals look for ways that government can be used to make the world a better place for everyone, including the poorest among us.

I think that sums up our different views.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:15 AM   #42
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Liberals look for ways that government can be used to make the world a better place for everyone, including the poorest among us.
You are correct... this is truly where we depart... I am a conservative when it comes to the role of government with a few exceptions.

I feel the government should step in if and only if no other group can (I get strung up by my conservative friends when I say health insurance is becoming one of those situations). However, in this case I think there are other groups who are ready and willing to fulfill the need. Further, I think they would do a MUCH better job.

Not that Faith is doing a "bad" job, but how much more would she be able to do or how much more freedom from red tape would she enjoy if she were a volunteer at a local "Safe Zone" kind of establishment.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:17 AM   #43
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Umm, Rocky-what happened to this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I'm turning over a new leaf
Okay, okay...I know I've said this before but I'm really dissapointed with the tone of some my posts over the past couple weeks.

No excuses.

Time to be better than I have been.

To NS, Robin, Fusnik, MikeWaters, HoyaCoug and others I've offended I apologize.

I realize I need to be nicer sometimes. Sorry. I'll work on being more open minded.
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...ight=apologize

Which of the following in this thread alone exemplifies your "new leaf?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Hippie you're wasting your time with Robin. I mean this is a man who thinks it's a good idea to deliberately harm and abuse his son in exposing him to the very worst life has to offer in Burning Man and other examples cited by him.

Quote:
All over the map....this from a guy who revels in mentally, emotionally and spiritually abusing and manipulating his wife and child and then thinking it's funny.

I feel bad for them.

Quote:
Ahh...the ignominy of Robin and his abusive treatment of those around him.

Quote:
I call taking a young boy to Burning Man and then bragging about it abusive and sickening. Sorry if you see otherwise.

Quote:
Anyone who is guileful enough to get someone to marry a person a like Robin.....that's abusive. Kind of TIC.

Quote:
Oh okay....so since you approve of your son going to Burning Man then both of you are guilty of abusing your child. Thanks for clearing things up.

What is the point of having a discussion about something if all you are going to do is try to insult the other parties to the discussion (namely Robin)?

Seriously, everyone- relax and try to have an honest conversation. The thread began badly with sarcasm in the first post and just got worse from there. Why are we restarting a thread if the only real purpose to the thread is to show the other side they are stupid?

Hard to see how this thread is going to be an upgrade from the other one that was deleted by a person who really flew off the handle.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 08-17-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #44
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Hoya, you are the LAST person on this board who should ever be imploring someone to have an honest conversation.

By the way.....welcome back.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #45
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Hoya, you are the LAST person on this board who should ever be imploring someone to have an honest conversation.

I simply don't understand your point. Just because you disagree with what I am saying doesn't mean I am being dishonest in saying it.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #46
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Rocky, this isn't going any where, let's find something else we can disagree upon, like what's wrong with our CBs.

Hoya's back, and all's good.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #47
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Rocky, this isn't going any where, let's find something else we can disagree upon, like what's wrong with our CBs.

Hoya's back, and all's good.
Agreed and my bad. I welcome Hoya back with open arms.

Actually I don't know that you and I will find much disagreement in our CB's...lol....I'm not too confident of their performance until I'm proven otherwise.