cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #41
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

My first dog was a doberman named Duke. He got loose one night and wandered out onto the highway in Hawaii and was hit by a car and died. Our second dog was some mix I can't recall named Aspen. When we moved to the mainland we had to give him up for adoption or else he would have had to be quarantined for months. We went through several cats. Puddins died of leukemia. Something happened to Sanoe, don't remember what. We went to Hawaii for a month one summer and our cat Cloudy became so attached to the neighbor who cared for her in our absence that she never came back home. Then we had Tita. Tita died after a good life. That one was tough on my mom and siblings. On the heels of Tita came Ikaika, a black lab-German shepherd mix. He was a fun pup. Then my dad got transferred and we couldn't take Ikaika so we took him to the pound to be put up for adoption. Before the move, my mother would take my siblings to the pound every day to see him. Then one day they showed up and he wasn't there and my family was elated that someone had adopted him. When they inquired into the family who adopted him they were informed that someone had made a paperwork mistake and Ikaika had been euthanized. Then we had Poke. She disappeared one day after about 8 years. We think a coyote or some other predator got her one night.

I understood the circle of life from a young age.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:06 AM   #42
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
My first dog was a doberman named Duke. He got loose one night and wandered out onto the highway in Hawaii and was hit by a car and died. Our second dog was some mix I can't recall named Aspen. When we moved to the mainland we had to give him up for adoption or else he would have had to be quarantined for months. We went through several cats. Puddins died of leukemia. Something happened to Sanoe, don't remember what. We went to Hawaii for a month one summer and our cat Cloudy became so attached to the neighbor who cared for her in our absence that she never came back home. Then we had Tita. Tita died after a good life. That one was tough on my mom and siblings. On the heels of Tita came Ikaika, a black lab-German shepherd mix. He was a fun pup. Then my dad got transferred and we couldn't take Ikaika so we took him to the pound to be put up for adoption. Before the move, my mother would take my siblings to the pound every day to see him. Then one day they showed up and he wasn't there and my family was elated that someone had adopted him. When they inquired into the family who adopted him they were informed that someone had made a paperwork mistake and Ikaika had been euthanized. Then we had Poke. She disappeared one day after about 8 years. We think a coyote or some other predator got her one night.

I understood the circle of life from a young age.
I'm going to play message board psychiatrist here.

You don't hate pets. You've built a wall of pet "hate" as a defense mechanism against getting hurt again when yet another pet dies tragically. And you don't want your daughter to have to experience the same sense of loss that you did so many times.

Go get a dog. Let the healing begin.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:07 AM   #43
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Why love a dog when you know that eventually Runner Coug's dad is going to kill it?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 AM   #44
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Why love a dog when you know that eventually Runner Coug's dad is going to kill it?
No no, dad's a dog lover. It's those useless felines that need to fear him.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #45
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I'm going to play message board psychiatrist here.

You don't hate pets. You've built a wall of pet "hate" as a defense mechanism against getting hurt again when yet another pet dies tragically. And you don't want your daughter to have to experience the same sense of loss that you did so many times.

Go get a dog. Let the healing begin.
You want the honest truth. I was mauled by a dog on the beach in Hawaii as a toddler. The dog was playing more than anything. And I believe that more than anything fosters my indifference towards animals.

What drives me nuts too is that I am like Doctor Doolittle when it comes to animals. They all love me. Dogs jump into my lap. Horses follow and nuzzle me. Cats will rub up on me all day. Birds chirp "Surfah." It's ridiculous. I think the animal kingdom knows that I hate them so they do it to spite me.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #46
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Can your cat retrieve a dead pheasant? I didn't think so.
As I have no need for a dead pheasant, I really don't care.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #47
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I never thought I'd see Gidget go to the "you suck" card. Sister Bertrille, maybe, but not Gidget!
It's true, I am very much above the "you suck" card. I apologize.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #48
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
It's true, I am very much above the "you suck" card. I apologize.
No need to apologize. I like the more in-your-face Gidget. The world needs more of you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #49
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You want the honest truth. I was mauled by a dog on the beach in Hawaii as a toddler. The dog was playing more than anything. And I believe that more than anything fosters my indifference towards animals.

What drives me nuts too is that I am like Doctor Doolittle when it comes to animals. They all love me. Dogs jump into my lap. Horses follow and nuzzle me. Cats will rub up on me all day. Birds chirp "Surfah." It's ridiculous. I think the animal kingdom knows that I hate them so they do it to spite me.
Stop carrying sugar cubes in your hat and the horses will leave you alone. Kick the cats and the dogs will chase after them. Shoot the birds.

Problem solved.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #50
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Interestingly, my oldest son is almost exactly the same. When my boy was about 2.5 or 3 he was knocked down and licked into submission by a very freidnly Great Dane. My son misunderstood the dog's intent and was scared out of his mind by the experience. From that day forward he did not like animals one bit; not at all. Ironically, like Surfah, animlas LOVE him. Wherever he goes dogs, cats, horses, you name it, will go directly to him for attention. It used to scare him but now, as he is older, he tolerates it but he has never cared for it and wishes he could stop it.