cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #41
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Am I the only one who pictured DDD as the balding, 20 something guy with the surfboard in the broadcast? He was obviously only at that campaign meeting to pick up on the chicks from the singles ward.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #42
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
I have 2 gay uncles. And I also have a gay aunt. They all have partners that I love to death. They have eaten meals at my house, we have held family Christmas at my house. I have stayed at their houses as have my family.

I still am Yes on Prop. 8
*Mike's brain explodes*

This whole discussion reminds me of white politicians having to claim they're not racist by rattling off their black friends.

Or better, this:

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #43
BYUHoopster

BYUHoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Given that California is a solid blue state, I would say it appears that non-"ultra conservatives" are also choosing to vote yes.

And yes, it surprised me as well.

Interestingly enough, I read an article a week or so ago about the connection to Obama and Prop 8. The article argued that the black community is suppose to turn out this year in record number to vote for Obama. Additionally that group is largely opposed to gay marriages and are likely to vote against Prop 8. As a result, the black community could be the difference in whether Prop 8 passes or not.
BYUHoopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUHoopster View Post
Interestingly enough, I read an article a week or so ago about the connection to Obama and Prop 8. The article argued that the black community is suppose to turn out this year in record number to vote for Obama. Additionally that group is largely opposed to gay marriages and are likely to vote against Prop 8. As a result, the black community could be the difference in whether Prop 8 passes or not.
Sorry, no sir. God and the California Mormons will get all the credit.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #45
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Am I the only one who pictured DDD as the balding, 20 something guy with the surfboard in the broadcast? He was obviously only at that campaign meeting to pick up on the chicks from the singles ward.
Hey, i still have a decent head of hair.....I'm no Sampson, but there's enough to comb over.

Why was there a surfboard guy in a Prop 8 broadcast?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #46
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Hey, i still have a decent head of hair.....I'm no Sampson, but there's enough to comb over.

Why was there a surfboard guy in a Prop 8 broadcast?
In addition to outlining the coalition plan for the next 4 weeks (May God help those that sign up for that assignment), the meeting was largely to rally the young people in CA to get involved with the effort. So they had a large portion of the meeting devoted to encouraging young singles and young married to get on the internets to "blog" and "write on the walls" to get all of their like-minded friends to vote for Prop 8. "Everyone get out there and 'Go Viral!'"

Several of the videos showed singles from (presumably) SoCal who were getting involved, including the balding surfer guy. There was also an "informal" meeting with Elder Bednar and some college age kids at what appeared to be an institute doing a Q&A.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
In addition to outlining the coalition plan for the next 4 weeks (May God help those that sign up for that assignment), the meeting was largely to rally the young people in CA to get involved with the effort. So they had a large portion of the meeting devoted to encouraging young singles and young married to get on the internets to "blog" and "write on the walls" to get all of their like-minded friends to vote for Prop 8. "Everyone get out there and 'Go Viral!'"

Several of the videos showed singles from (presumably) SoCal who were getting involved, including the balding surfer guy. There was also an "informal" meeting with Elder Bednar and some college age kids at what appeared to be an institute doing a Q&A.
I don't do facebook. But my brother does. One of his LDS friends had joined a pro-prop 8 "group" on facebook, and this really pissed him off. He fired off with all cannons.

I told him I was very disappointed that Mormons had outraised all the gays in America on this issue. I mean, if gays care that much, shouldn't they be able to come up with more than 15 million. Hell, 1 million of that is from Bastian the ex-Mormon.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #48
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I venture to say that most people on this board and on CG have no gay friends or acquaintances.

Gays are still "the other."

How many here have invited an openly gay man into their home for a meal?
I have no gay friends or acquaintances. No one that is gay has ever caused me harm nor have I ever harmed a gay person. I have never invited an openly gay man/woman to my home for dinner. Does that make me intolerant? No, I just don't socialize with any people that are gay. I don't go out of my way to avoid gay people nor do I make any efforts to only associate with straight people. Unless someone tells me they are gay or flaunts their "gayness", I wouldn't know that they were gay. I would treat a gay person with kindness and respect just like anyone else.

As recently as a year ago, I was a home teacher to someone who is now married to a woman and continues to struggle with same-sex attraction, this revealed to me during a hometeaching visit with spouse present, but feels he has it under control. I didn't treat him any differently after his revelation. I am no longer his hometeacher as the bishop felt it would be more appropriate for him to personally home teach the individual. We are Church friends, but we do not socialize.

Other than the above individual, that I would consider a friend or acquaintance, was my encounter about 15 years ago with an individual that wanted to leave the gay lifestyle and came to me as his bishop after having concluded the lifestyle he was living was inappropriate and wanted to repent. We counseled together for many months and as far as I know, he remains active in Church and we ocassionally see each other at stake meetings and exchange pleasantries.

I am not a bigot, I am not intolerant, and I don't have a problem with the Church's position on prop 8 or the activities that are being carried to support the proposition. I just don't associate with gay people, that I know of. I'll be honest, I am uncomfortable being around someone who flaunts their "gayness", but only because of my perception that it is not normal for a man to display female characteristics or express male/male affection towards one another and not because the Church tells me the lifestyle is wrong.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #49
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
I was there last night and I really enjoyed it.

I was against the LDS effort on Prop 8 beforehand, because of how my local leaders were handling things. But after watching last night I am behind the effort completely.

I will post more about it later tonight. I am busy at work today.

And here is my disclaimer...

I have 2 gay uncles. And I also have a gay aunt. They all have partners that I love to death. They have eaten meals at my house, we have held family Christmas at my house. I have stayed at their houses as have my family.

I still am Yes on Prop. 8

More later tonight.

I found that meeting to be almost intolerable. The same poor arguments we've been hearing since the beginning were rehashed for an hour. This is by far the most difficulty I've ever had with the church's stance on an issue. And it's not that I feel very strongly one way or the other re: gay marriage. It's the poor arguments and the zeal which many members seem to have for the fight that bothers me. There are folks in my neck of the woods who are enjoying this a little too much.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #50
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

This whole discussion reminds me of white politicians having to claim they're not racist by rattling off their black friends.

Believe it or not, one of the videos promoted last night and available on the church's new website actually uses that line. It's a snippet of an interview with a young college student and she says something like "this isn't anti gay, we have gay friends...." I had to chuckle at that one. Not sure how it made it past the editor.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote