cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #41
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay
No, my reasoning is very much in line with SWK, a consecrated prophet.
so which one is wrong bdb? brigham or spencer?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 PM   #42
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay
Default Re: Adam-God Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkili
Quote:
Okay there are a few things here that don't make sense to me about the Adam-God theory. If God is Adam, does that mean that God transgressed in the Garden of Eden? Hardly seems possible for a perfect God. How does that work?

I think you need to understand the theory better in order to understand how this idea becomes believeable. Michael came to earth and became as a little child not knowing good from evil. That is how he was able to transgress the law that was given to him by Elohim.
I understand that...Moses 6:59 "That by reason of transgression cometh the fall..." God is perfect, not just innocent.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #43
fusnik11

Default Re: Adam-God Theory

Quote:
I understand that...Moses 6:59 "That by reason of transgression cometh the fall..."
bdb what is transgression?

when is sin a sin?

when is a transgression become a transgression?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #44
Black Diamond Bay

Default Unless there's something

I'm missing here, seems to me like Adam had to repent, and not just for one transgression. I read "transgressions." God does not have to rely on the atonement of Jesus Christ to be perfected.

51 And he called upon our father Adam by his own voice, saying: I am God; I amade• the world, and bmen cbefore they were in the flesh.

52 And he also said unto him: If thou wilt turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, and believe, and repent of all thy transgressions, and be abaptized•, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of bgrace and truth, which is Jesus cChrist, the only dname• which shall be given under heaven, whereby esalvation shall come unto the children of men, ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, asking all things in his name, and whatsoever ye shall ask, it shall be given you.

53 And our father Adam spake unto the Lord, and said: Why is it that men must repent and be baptized in water? And the Lord said unto Adam: Behold I have aforgiven thee thy transgression in the Garden of Eden.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #45
Black Diamond Bay

Default I'm going to have to stick with

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Quote:
No, my reasoning is very much in line with SWK, a consecrated prophet.
so which one is wrong bdb? brigham or spencer?
the more current prophet. Nothing against Brigham.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:29 PM   #46
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oh dear, is the semantics game going to be played?

Quote:

if brigham was wrong where do we draw the line? can i now as a member of the church say wilford woodruff was wrong and the church has been in apostacy since the 1890s?
You are taking an absolutist view of things.

If you believe prophets can be fallible, why is unreasonable that perhaps BY was wrong?

Just because BY may have been wrong on this issue, what does that have to do with Wilford Woodruff?

Your logic escapes me here.

Quote:

i struggle saying a prophet was blatantly wrong...its easier for me to accept the leadership of the church sweeping an issue under the rug, than it is for me to claim a prophet was wrong...which essentially is what i believe swk did....
Once again. Do you believe prophets are infallible?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 PM   #47
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
You are taking an absolutist view of things.

If you believe prophets can be fallible, why is unreasonable that perhaps BY was wrong?

Just because BY may have been wrong on this issue, what does that have to do with Wilford Woodruff?

Your logic escapes me here.
i dont believe prophets are perfect, but i struggle with the notion that a prophet testifying over and over, and teaching other prophets, and dictating the temple ceremony to clim certain things, as brigham being wrong....

make any sense?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:12 PM   #48
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

i dont believe prophets are perfect, but i struggle with the notion that a prophet testifying over and over, and teaching other prophets, and dictating the temple ceremony to clim certain things, as brigham being wrong....

make any sense?
Fair enough.

Well, either BY was wrong or SWK was wrong. Take your pick.

BTW, this is not a topic that I feel passionately about nor have I studied it much. Just thought I would chime in.

Carry on...
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:20 PM   #49
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Just for fun, does anybody have the SWK quote?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #50
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unless there's something

Quote:
I'm missing here, seems to me like Adam had to repent, and not just for one transgression. I read "transgressions." God does not have to rely on the atonement of Jesus Christ to be perfected.

51 And he called upon our father Adam by his own voice, saying: I am God; I amade• the world, and bmen cbefore they were in the flesh.

52 And he also said unto him: If thou wilt turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, and believe, and repent of all thy transgressions, and be abaptized•, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of bgrace and truth, which is Jesus cChrist, the only dname• which shall be given under heaven, whereby esalvation shall come unto the children of men, ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, asking all things in his name, and whatsoever ye shall ask, it shall be given you.

53 And our father Adam spake unto the Lord, and said: Why is it that men must repent and be baptized in water? And the Lord said unto Adam: Behold I have aforgiven thee thy transgression in the Garden of Eden.
I don't see why these scriptures present a problem for the adam God theory. I think its pretty safe to say that Adam had a perfect an imortal body, and I don't know of anyother way of getting a perfect and immortal body but through life, death, and resurrection.

If when Adam came down a veil of forgetfullness was placed upon him then why wouldn't he be able to sin?