cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
You're right Rocky. The defense couldn't stop a 3rd and 23 and allowed a 2nd string QB who isn't particularly mobile to run for 100+ yards. Those things cannot be blamed on Beck.

But, DESPITE the piss-poor 1st half, despite the swiss cheese defense, BYU still had chances to win the game at the end of regulation. The defense didn't overthrow Harline. The defense didn't sphyxter up in OT (well, they did techincally, but not when BYU had the ball). My point is, I expect my QB, given those types of opportunities, to make plays like that, like the pass to Harline, or be smart enough to tuck it and run, or make something happen.

Now, there are a lot of people at fault for the Utah loss. Utah also deserves some credit as well, because they won. I will say that a bigger part of the blame should fall on the defense, but Beck also deserves his share of the blame as well. And if he can't take that type of criticism, then he shouldn't have been a quarterback. End of story.
Of course you're assuming Harline would've caught the pass had it been on target. As great as Harline was last year, he dropped A LOT of passes last year. Way more than Daniel Coats ever did, but he didn't get flack for it, because of his otherwise stellar play.

I think you guys hammer Beck too much.

Simple fact......our defense is what prevented our team from having a very good season last year. There's no logical way to say otherwise that if our D had been good and we'd won the TCU, Utah and maybe Cal games, you or no one else can logically say that Beck isn't clutch.

He had plenty of clutch moments last year, but of course nitpicking a couple here and there where he didn't over shadows his very good year.

The defense did in fact lose the Utah game, not John Beck. Not even remotely close. Also who's to say that Beck didn't accept his part of blame for the loss in game? Knowing him and his competitive nature, I guarantee you that he did, so your comment about him saying that if he can't take criticism and what not.... doesn't make any sense at all.

Having said that, while in the Beck camp, I also firmly state that he's still got a lot to prove. I can't put him in an upper echelon unless he does the trifecta of Win the MWC, Beat Utah, and Beat a Boston College or win a bowl game.

His detractors have somewhat merit of their grievances towards, but in reality..not much.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 07-09-2006 at 04:08 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #32
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
It was just a stupid joke playing off of "The Real Slim Shady". I believe that you play trombone, and I know there is a 2nd Trombone on Cougarboard, so I was just tyring to have a little lame sense of humor.

I meant nothing derrogatory from it.

Lame joke on my part, nothing more.
I wasn't necessarily offended; I just wasn't quite sure what it meant. I assumed it had something to do with me playing trombone.

Interestingly, I played next to 2nd trombone in the BYU pep(bb) band. I was '1st' trombone. We went to the NCAAs in Chicago that year with the team and beat SMU in the 1st round and lost to Kansas in the 2nd. He wore a blue and white basketball on his head and, as a result, got some camera time(consequently, I did too).That was a sweet trip between the city, the per diem, & the basketball.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #33
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaCougar
Of course you're assuming Harline would've caught the pass had it been on target. As great as Harline was last year, he dropped A LOT of passes last year. Way more than Daniel Coats ever did, but he didn't get flack for it, because of his otherwise stellar play.

I think you guys hammer Beck too much.

Simple fact......our defense is what prevented our team from having a very good season last year. There's no logical way to say otherwise that if our D had been good and we'd won the TCU, Utah and maybe Cal games, you or no one else can logically say that Beck isn't clutch.

He had plenty of clutch moments last year, but of course nitpicking a couple here and there where he didn't over shadows his very good year.

The defense did in fact lose the Utah game, not John Beck. Not even remotely close. Also who's to say that Beck didn't accept his part of blame for the loss in game? Knowing him and his competitive nature, I guarantee you that he did, so your comment about him saying that if he can't take criticism and what not.... doesn't make any sense at all.

Having said that, while in the Beck camp, I also firmly state that he's still got a lot to prove. I can't put him in an upper echelon unless he does the trifecta of Win the MWC, Beat Utah, and Beat a Boston College or win a bowl game.

His detractors have somewhat merit of their grievances towards, but in reality..not much.
Harline might have dropped the pass, but were that the case, I wouldn't be putting the blame on Beck for that. Just to clear that up. When Watkins has dropped passes, I've called him out on that as well.

Now, Harline might have dropped more passes than Coats last season, but over the last three years, Coats has had some costly drops. I will give DC credit as he has improved DRAMATICLY on both his blocking and receiving since he's been here and, IMO, should have a solid NFL career because of it. Coats has become a BEAST when it comes to blocking.

Again, I do put the majority of the blame for the Utah loss on the defense. But to not put some blame on Beck is also unrealistic. Ask yourself, could Beck hace made a play at the end of regulation to get us in FG range to win it? Yes. Could he have extended it to a 2OT? Yes. Would the overtime have likely made a difference? Probably not, because our defense couldn't have stopped Timpview high that night (note: I am exaggerating here, but only slightly).

As far as Beck not being able to take criticism, I meant on the board. Part of being a QB is you get the glory. No player is as celebrated as the QB. But with that when you don't live up to the expectations, your performance, likely the performance of the entire offense, is going to rest upon your shoulders. That's just the way the game goes.

I agree that Beck has a lot to prove. I like the kid. I admire his determination as well as his character. I can promise you that he's probably the most dedicated player on the team, as well as the hardest worker. I"m very impressed with that aspect of his game. But I've also seen what he's capable of, and I don't think that he's lived up to his best yet.

I don't know if he'll get there this year or not, but believe me when I say that I hope that he does. I think our opinions of Beck are probably closer than most realize, we just have a different view and way of expressing it.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #34
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

This all reminds me of 1986 - my freshman year at BYU. Steve Lindsley's first game as BYU QB was a great one - I think he threw for almost 400 yards in a blow-out of Utah State.

I think early in the game, even before Lindsley got going (maybe even on his first completion), some guy in front of me in the stands stood up and yelled, "All right! No more Robbie Bosco!" I bet that guy felt pretty stupid later in the year. (Well, maybe not - nobody seems to ever admit they're wrong.)

Sometimes we tend to not appreciate what we have. I think some of that's going on with Beck. I think a lot of the criticism of him focuses only on the negative, while ignoring that he's made some great and clutch plays.

He's not Detmer of McMahon. But he's also not Feterik or Shoemaker. I just hope some of the detractors allow themselves to enjoy his accomplishments this year. He's got a lot of talent and ability. It's been a long time since we've had a good senior QB (5 years).

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
I think early in the game, even before Lindsley got going (maybe even on his first completion), some guy in front of me in the stands stood up and yelled, "All right! No more Robbie Bosco!" I bet that guy felt pretty stupid later in the year. (Well, maybe not - nobody seems to ever admit they're wrong.)
Somebody was actually glad that Boscoe was gone? The QB of the '84 NC team? Amazing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #36
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

BYU needs your own Lance Rice to let you know what a bad QB really is.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #37
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
Somebody was actually glad that Boscoe was gone? The QB of the '84 NC team? Amazing.
What, you're surprised that every once in a while you run across a stupid BYU fan?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #38
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What, you're surprised that every once in a while you run across a stupid BYU fan?
Well, there's stupid, then there's stupid.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #39
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Here's how I look at it: I couldn't wait for Feterik to graduate. I couldn't wait for Engemann to get benched. I was happy to see Walsh leave early. I didn't think those guys were up to par. As for Beck, I'm really looking forward to seeing him play this year. I think he's going to answer his critics.
You'd rank Beck above Walsh?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:48 AM   #40
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
You'd rank Beck above Walsh?
Walsh took a ton of undeserved crap from BYU fans.

Right now though I can't rank Beck ahead of Walsh. Beck hasn't won a significant game yet,,,,but I think he'll win a number of them this season. I like Beck a lot.