cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #31
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
On a neutral field or at home I take BYU
Same.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #32
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
We have already agreed that there are exceptions. This past 5 weeks, the MWC has done well against the Pac 10. No problem with that.

Indy already provided us the historic data. The MWC has fared poorly against BCS conferences. It was actually worse than I had imagined.

So if you are using the past 2 months as your sample size, then I suppose you are correct. The MWC is on par with the BCS conferences.

The reason mid-majors are the way they are is a variety of things...lack of depth, being one of them. So yes, SC would benefit from a weak Pac 10 this year. But their depth is what affords them their high ranking. The mids generally have no such depth.

Sanchez gets injured....oh, well put in Mitch Mustain...threw a pick but also threw a TD. Emmanuel Moody transfers to Florida? No problem, give the ball to Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson, or whomever you choose.

It is a night and day comparison.

Also, Ohio State being "not good..." you would pick BYU over Ohio State this year? Doubt it.

Yeah we get that USC's good. If we hadn't noticed watching games on Saturday, we definitely have learned it through your posts.

You throw out "BYU is mid-major" as an insult to BYU. BYU is in a non-automatic-qualifying BCS conference. That is correct. Shout that one from the rooftops.

There are 63 "BCS" schools. BYU ranks in the upper to mid-tier of these 63 programs in terms of attendance, success, fan base, national prominence, etc.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM   #33
jay santos

Quote:
Vegas would have OSU a 1/2 point fav on neutral field and BYU the fav at home based on last week's poll.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #34
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Yeah we get that USC's good. If we hadn't noticed watching games on Saturday, we definitely have learned it through your posts.

You throw out "BYU is mid-major" as an insult to BYU. BYU is in a non-automatic-qualifying BCS conference. That is correct. Shout that one from the rooftops.

There are 63 "BCS" schools. BYU ranks in the upper to mid-tier of these 63 programs in terms of attendance, success, fan base, national prominence, etc.
You have some issue with my talking about SC. That much you have made clear.

What is the issue? I dont get it. You brought them up in this thread, not me.

Also, there is no insult to BYU. I have stated from the beginning that I dont view mid-major as a bad thing. So why would it be an insult.

You definitely view it as a bad thing, which explains why you are loathe to admit it. You have stated before that most of your wardrobe is BYU gear. BYU football is very important to you, obviously. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry if my submissions are rocking your world or shaking your foundation. But like it or no, that is how the MWC is viewed...mid-major.

Goat seems to concur and has responded in kind, expressing concerns along the way. You are digging in your heels unnaturally.

Like archaea, enjoy banging your head against the wall in the future. And see you at the New Mexico game.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #35
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
When do people play on neutral fields?

I have never been to a game that was neutral.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #36
jay santos

Quote:
You have some issue with my talking about SC. That much you have made clear.

What is the issue? I dont get it. You brought them up in this thread, not me.

Also, there is no insult to BYU. I have stated from the beginning that I dont view mid-major as a bad thing. So why would it be an insult.

You definitely view it as a bad thing, which explains why you are loathe to admit it. You have stated before that most of your wardrobe is BYU gear. BYU football is very important to you, obviously. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry if my submissions are rocking your world or shaking your foundation. But like it or no, that is how the MWC is viewed...mid-major.

Goat seems to concur and has responded in kind, expressing concerns along the way. You are digging in your heels unnaturally.

Like archaea, enjoy banging your head against the wall in the future. And see you at the New Mexico game.
You're an elitist bastard.

You're not getting it. I don't have any problem whatsoever admitting BYU is "mid-major". It's a conference designation. And it's regularly defined as a conference which is not a BCS automatic qualifier. It's not a matter of opinion.

I'm taking issue with why you're using this mid-major title to beat down BYU fans.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #37
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Vegas would have OSU a 1/2 point fav on neutral field and BYU the fav at home based on last week's poll.
there you go
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #38
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We have already agreed that there are exceptions. This past 5 weeks, the MWC has done well against the Pac 10. No problem with that.

Indy already provided us the historic data. The MWC has fared poorly against BCS conferences. It was actually worse than I had imagined.

So if you are using the past 2 months as your sample size, then I suppose you are correct. The MWC is on par with the BCS conferences.

The reason mid-majors are the way they are is a variety of things...lack of depth, being one of them. So yes, SC would benefit from a weak Pac 10 this year. But their depth is what affords them their high ranking. The mids generally have no such depth.

Sanchez gets injured....oh, well put in Mitch Mustain...threw a pick but also threw a TD. Emmanuel Moody transfers to Florida? No problem, give the ball to Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson, or whomever you choose.

It is a night and day comparison.

Also, Ohio State being "not good..." you would pick BYU over Ohio State this year? Doubt it.
Are you seriously going to argue that Ohio State without Beanie Wells is good? Answer the question using facts pertaining to college football and try to do so without referencing BYU.

However, I am firmly convinced that BYU would beat Ohio State without Beanie Wells, the same team USC beat this year, 6 out of 9 times if the 9 games were three each at OSU, BYU and on a neutral field.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #39
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When do people play on neutral fields?

I have never been to a game that was neutral.
Umm serious?
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #40
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Umm serious?
He barely knows more about college football than SeattleUte. Do you now see why the good ol boys from Simi Valley hated those polo wearing shirts faggits out in the Conejo Valley? Is it any surprise Ben Olsen has still yet to recognize a blitz?