cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is the primary premise underlying the church's stance on homosexual relations?
Anal sex is inherently immoral 1 2.44%
Oral sex is inherently immoral 0 0%
Both anal and oral sex is inherently immoral 0 0%
Sexual relations with someone of the same sex is inherently immoral 22 53.66%
Sexual relations with someone you cannot have children with is inherently immoral 1 2.44%
Homosexual relations undermine the structure of the family 14 34.15%
Homosexual relations are against the natural order of things 12 29.27%
Homosexual relations contradict the commandment to multiply and replenish the earth 9 21.95%
Only God knows 6 14.63%
None of the above 8 19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Here's something that's been on my mind.

If the prohibition agasint homsexual relations is based primarily on the mechanical nature (i.e., because anything other than vaginal intercourse is not appropriate), then I don't see how that could be overcome or changed in the future in order to allow for the church policy to change, other than maybe giving homosexuals vaginas.

However, it seems to me if any of the other premises are the primary underlying premise(es) for the prohibition, conceivably, God could change the rules, right?

So setting aside our own personal feelings (I know, impossible for certain of us), it's not inconceivable that one day the church could change its stance against homosexual relations, correct?
It is inconceivable to me. I don't see the Church bending for this minority group. I see women receiving full administration of the priesthood, maybe in our lifetimes, but gays receiving full fellowship? No.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here's something that's been on my mind.

If the prohibition agasint homsexual relations is based primarily on the mechanical nature (i.e., because anything other than vaginal intercourse is not appropriate), then I don't see how that could be overcome or changed in the future in order to allow for the church policy to change, other than maybe giving homosexuals vaginas.

However, it seems to me if any of the other premises are the primary underlying premise(es) for the prohibition, conceivably, God could change the rules, right?

So setting aside our own personal feelings (I know, impossible for certain of us), it's not inconceivable that one day the church could change its stance against homosexual relations, correct?
Far be it for me to dictate to God what he should do with his church.

But I don't conceive it happening, no.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #33
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you come to this thread with the idea that there's one right answer, and everyone else is wrong, because it is impossible to know the mind of God, without being willing to consider other viewpoints, then, frankly, I'm not interested in your opinion. I'm sure you'll share it, anyway.
Boy, you're predictable, Tex.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #34
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Boy, you're predictable, Tex.
Hey, you asked.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #35
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I see your point, but in the opinion of this never married, single woman...so take it for what it's worth, a really great marriage would be the marriage where both partners learn to not just see differences as hurdles to be overcome, but learn how to utilize them to enrich the relationship. I think my grandparents were a great example of that. They were about as opposite as two people could be, and both lacking in areas where the other was strong, and by the time I was old enough to see what was going on, they had learned to rely on each other to help the other through weak areas, so together they were far stronger than they ever were apart. Admittedly I don't know any gay men that have had a long term relationship, and perhaps that's why it's especially difficult for me to see how that would work with two members of the same sex. I am sure that two members of the same sex could learn to get along, and have a close relationship, what I'm not sure of, is if they would have the same benefits of learning to use strengths and weaknesses that are inherent in members of the opposite sex to grow together, and to become better people as well. I'm not gay and I'm not married, so this is speculation on my part, but it makes sense in my head.
Being single doesnt invalidate your opinion on marriage. Hey, I am hitting my 10th this summer and I am still figuring out how to do the marriage/relationship thing.

One thing for sure about inherent gender differences....I have seen firsthand that my wife has maternal instincts with our children that I simply do not have. I have often relied on her instinct or inspiration of whatever you want to call it when it comes to matters concerning our children. I am not sure if this is pandemic, maybe I just suck at being a dad. However, my "#1 Dad" coffee mug would shatter that assertion into smithereens.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #36
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
If they did, why would one member of the gay couple always be trying to act like a woman?

This may be true for some homosexual relationships but this is not always the case. In fact, this is often not the case.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #37
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
This may be true for some homosexual relationships but this is not always the case. In fact, this is often not the case.
You mean they take turns......NOW THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #38
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
You mean they take turns......NOW THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKIN' ABOUT!!!!!!
That made me laugh
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #39
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

its funny as I was on a run this morning and this thread (and similar others) popped into my mind. Some people do their thinking on the toilet I do mine when I am on a run. Anyway I've been thinking about the gay marriage issue and especially this poll and here are my conclusions.

The church doesn't want same sex marriage because then people aren't sinning if they are married. If one makes the argument that its still a sin because its "against the natural order of things" that opens up a can of worms. Isn't birth control going against the natural order of things? Same for the tubes being tied and vasectomies. Is oral sex against the natural order of things?
One could make the argument... "people that are married to the same gender cannot have children naturally thus its a sin" this argument seems moot when one considers all of the heterosexual couples who can't have children naturally. They couldn't be sinning just because they are having sex and not reproducing.

Obviously for the time going forward the church will have a policy against homosexuality. I that is the way the brethren feel is the right way then it is their organization and they can do what they want. anyway just thought I would put in my 2 cents.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #40
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
its funny as I was on a run this morning and this thread (and similar others) popped into my mind. Some people do their thinking on the toilet I do mine when I am on a run. Anyway I've been thinking about the gay marriage issue and especially this poll and here are my conclusions.

The church doesn't want same sex marriage because then people aren't sinning if they are married. If one makes the argument that its still a sin because its "against the natural order of things" that opens up a can of worms. Isn't birth control going against the natural order of things? Same for the tubes being tied and vasectomies. Is oral sex against the natural order of things?
One could make the argument... "people that are married to the same gender cannot have children naturally thus its a sin" this argument seems moot when one considers all of the heterosexual couples who can't have children naturally. They couldn't be sinning just because they are having sex and not reproducing.

Obviously for the time going forward the church will have a policy against homosexuality. I that is the way the brethren feel is the right way then it is their organization and they can do what they want. anyway just thought I would put in my 2 cents.
I don't think the poll was asking why the Church is against homosexual marriage.

It is asking why the Church is against homosexual sex. All the poll choices revolved around sex, not marriage.

Your answer, while certainly plausible, simply begs the question as to why married homosexual couples would be sinning were they to be married. Hence, back to the sex question.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote