cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #31
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There was someone that was a very successful Pentacostal preacher in NYC. Long story short, despite being baptized, he refused to give up his connections to the Pentacostal church and continued to preach there. He even attempted while in church to recruit some of the YM to go there instead.

While he was warned about his recruiting, no disciplinary action was taken against him.

I guess I am doing a very poor job of asking the question.

I will try one more time. Can a person who has not asked to be removed, be removed although the removal does not involve disciplinary action.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

I will try one more time. Can a person who has not asked to be removed, be removed although the removal does not involve disciplinary action.
Not that I'm aware of. It's one or the other.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #33
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
But I don't understand the idea of a friendly offer to remove people who have done none of the above, but have simply gone astray.
But that's not an accurate characterization. It's more involved than that.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #34
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

You all have gotten soft. I think Mike should be ex'ed just for being friends with this guy.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #35
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
But that's not an accurate characterization. It's more involved than that.
Indeed. I believe the circumstance in question is specifically someone who's actively involved in (and an official member of) another denomination.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #36
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post

No. The person must request name removal. Until then no action can be taken.

Even those that ask for no contact will remain on the records until they ask for their names to be removed. I remember visiting or calling inactive members who didn't want to be contacted. I asked them to write a letter to the Bishop to have their names removed so we would quit bugging them (I explained new leadership would eventually come and they would probably be contacted again). Had I had a form letter with me I would have had them fill it out then and there to get the job done. Who knows if they every took action.

In Mike's friend's case, I say ex his ass. We'd be doing him a favor as his speaking fees on the "I was a Mormon, but now I'm found" lecture tour would double or triple overnight with that little gem on his CV.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #37
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
In Mike's friend's case, I say ex his ass. We'd be doing him a favor as his speaking fees on the "I was a Mormon, but now I'm found" lecture tour would double or triple overnight with that little gem on his CV.
LOL.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #38
El Paso Coug

El Paso Coug
Default Church Handbook of Instruction Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He is a former Elders Quorum President. He is now a Baptist and is some kind or ordained Baptist minister (I think he is a form of minor lay clergy).

He's a good guy, and I like him. Even though I am not a huge fan of excommunication, I'm starting to think he ought to be excommunicated.
As used here, apostasy refers to members who:
1. Repeatedly act in clear, open, and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its
leaders.
Page 95
2. Persist in teaching as Church doctrine information that is not Church doctrine after
they have been corrected by their bishops or higher authority
3. Continue to follow the teachings of apostate sects (such as those that advocate plural
marriage) after being corrected by their bishop or higher authority.
In such cases, excommunication may be necessary if repentance is not evident after
counseling and encouragement.
Priesthood leaders must take disciplinary action against apostates to protect Church members.
The Savior taught the Nephites that they should continue to minister to a transgressor, but "if he
repent not he shall not be numbered among my people, that he may not destroy my people" (3
Nephi 18:31; see also Mosiah 26:36).
Total inactivity in the Church or attending or holding membership in another church does not
constitute apostasy.

This passage is regarding excommunication. I think the answer is no excommunication unless he is actively speaking against the LDS Church.