cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 02:34 AM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I may be wrong but this isn't that uncommon to have missionaries living with members, however, there are stipulations at least with the missionaries that lived with members in my mission in Denver. The missionaries had to have there own entrance to the apartment separate from the home where the members resided. Everything was separate in fact and no living areas were shared. The only missionary apartment in a member's home I ever entered on my mission was a garage that had been converted to a mother-in-law's apartment with it's own bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, and living room, with a private entrance on the side of the home. There was a common door like an adjoining door in a hotel room but it was locked from each side and was required. The family received rent for housing the missionaries.
If it's uncommon then it must be recent. I lived with members in 2 different areas I served on my mission. Once in South San Jose and once in Fremont.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 AM   #32
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
If it's uncommon then it must be recent. I lived with members in 2 different areas I served on my mission. Once in South San Jose and once in Fremont.
I said that it's not that uncommon.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #33
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
There is little to no innovation. Leaders are surrounded by "yes" men. More time is spent in meetings then in selling the product. Money is spent to aggrandize the headquarters rather then build the new markets. Competitors are far out-preforming us but we keep patting ourself on the back and pretend we are doing great.

If you look at the church as an organization, it fails on every level but the one that matters--cash flow. Because the Jesus really is the Christ and because Joesph really did get the BofM from a flashing angel and really did get keys of priesthood authority from Peter James John and John, the money keeps flowing in. People like Tex and people like me just won't stop paying tithing. So there is no pressure to change.

I honestly don't think Christ will be very happy with the manner in which the Church as been run over the last 30 years. We need a major shake-up.
Only on Cougarguard will you find people so gleefully criticizing the leadership of the church at large.

And comparing the church to a business? Like it's Microsoft or something? Weird.

You guys manage to top yourselves all the time.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #34
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
And comparing the church to a business? Like it's Microsoft or something? Weird.
Religion IS a business. I just happen to think that on occasion, religion is a very honorable, inspired business that makes bad people good and good people better. Nothing like convincing people to worship an invisible man in the sky who always needs money, and thereby improving the world. I admit it--I'm thoroughly convinced.

And Mormonism has owned/run plenty of businesses over the years, including ZCMI.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 07-11-2007 at 03:31 AM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 AM   #35
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Religion IS a business. I just happen to think that on occasion, religion is a very honorable, inspired business that makes bad people good and good people better. Nothing like convincing people to worship an invisible man in the sky who always needs money, and thereby improving the world. I admit it--I'm thoroughly convinced.

And Mormonism has owned/run plenty of businesses over the years, including ZCMI.
Well yes, but owning businesses is not the same as BEING a business.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #36
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Well yes, but owning businesses is not the same as BEING a business.
So a Church can own a business without being a business. I think that depends on what the definition of the word is is.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #37
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Somebody told me if you sue the Church and reject its settlement offer it will excomunicate you (haven't read this thread so sorry if someone said that). The source was knowledgeable. I thought that was funny.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 AM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The problem at church HQ is that too many people check their brains at the door when meeting with an Apostle or 70. When in the presence of a man with amazing priesthood keys, nearly all believers wilt and accede to whatever notion the man has when he came into the meeting. You can assume that every such notion is divine edict from on high--that they are infailable Popes.
You've been in a lot of these meetings at HQ, have you?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 AM   #39
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Are you disputing my point or just farting in the corner again?

Do you think church employees generally stand up to GAs and argue against the GA's policy predilections?

Until you are willing to think something, you aren't worth talking to.

Stop slurping while you suck.
Anything you state is conjecture on your part.

At least admit that.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:36 AM   #40
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you disputing my point or just farting in the corner again?

Do you think church employees generally stand up to GAs and argue against the GA's policy predilections?
I'm asking for some substantiation, yes. I know some church employees, and I worked for a guy that the church contracted with. None, so far as I know, checked their brains at the door.

I do seem to a remember a talk by a much-maligned senior apostle about the mantle being greater than the intellect, however.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote