cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The Jews shouldn't take offense because

1. It doesn't involve any religious coercion. No living non-believer is forced to participate in the ordinances nor in the process of obtaining genealogical records for this purpose. Those on the other side are perfectly free to accept or reject the work done on their behalf.
2. The performances are done in secret, not in a public venue.
3. The identities of the people who have had work done for them, while technically available to the public, isn't publicized by the church.

IMO, the church was and is already "sensitive" about this issue, regardless of any of this wrangling over Holocaust records and so forth.

The bottom line is that this only became an issue because someone with a burr up their butts sought to make this an issue.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
What you call being political correct, other people simply call being respectful. Is it really that big of an inconvenience to try to not offend other people?
I think Indy has pointed out that the Church has tried to be respectful. What some of the outspoken are stating is we should defer to their religious views and not our own. When will the Jews defer to our religious views and not theirs? Should the Jews stop leaving a cup for Elijah because that offends in that he has already come?

In this matter, those complaining appear to be overly sensitive. The Church members have done the work discreetly and it is the offended who have made it public.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #33
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Your criticisms are hollow and disrespectful of the Lord's annointed. Each and every member of the church is responsible for the successful understanding and application of revelation ... the failure to act on all revelation rests with the body of the church.
Okay, the phone comment was out of line. My apologies. However, I don't think they get a free pass on not honoring their agreements because they happen to be General Authorities. If they are not willing or able to honor the agreement, they need to just say so. To me, whether or not the Jews have the right to stop the baptisms is a separate issue. The fact is they agreed not to do it. The burden of honoring the agreement is on the church.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #34
Indy Coug

I'm just curious how you think the church has any feasible means to provide any real oversight over this agreement. Temple work submissions are done by individuals, not by the church.

All the church can and should be reasonably be expected to do is to make known the church policy regarding work for the Jewish deceased and hope that its membership complies with their request.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 12-19-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be interesting if someone were disfellowshipped or excommunicated for knowingly doing the work on a Jew.

That would be a very strange place to arrive to.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #36
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm just curious how you think the church has any feasible means to provide any real oversight over this agreement. Temple work submissions are done by individuals, not by the church.

All the church can and should be reasonably be expected to do is to make known the church policy regarding work for the Jewish deceased and hope that its membership complies with their request.
The reason I think they have the means for oversight is they agreed to do it. So either the plan they devised before making the agreement isn't working or they never planned on honoring it. Most likely, they made a plan that doesn't work. If there is no possible way to make it work, I think they should go back and say that they have tried, but it can't be done. I would like to think that in the age of computers, they could come up with something workable.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:01 PM   #37
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It would be interesting if someone were disfellowshipped or excommunicated for knowingly doing the work on a Jew.

That would be a very strange place to arrive to.
Disfellowshipped for doing temple work... That would be interesting!
Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I think the reasons the Jews don't want their relatives baptized are irrelevant. The Church should just keep their word and not baptize them. They shouldn't have made a promise they didn't intend to keep. Why God's "inspired" leaders couldn't come up with an effective plan to honor their agreement is beyond me.
If it's really that simple, what is your proposal for improved enforcement? If we're going to start bashing the church leadership for being uninspired and/or deceitful, then please provide the text of the agreement and let's go over point by point what was agreed to and what mechanisms the church claimed would be used to implement such an agreement.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 12-19-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #39
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Okay, the phone comment was out of line. My apologies. However, I don't think they get a free pass on not honoring their agreements because they happen to be General Authorities. If they are not willing or able to honor the agreement, they need to just say so. To me, whether or not the Jews have the right to stop the baptisms is a separate issue. The fact is they agreed not to do it. The burden of honoring the agreement is on the church.
Actually the burden is on faithful temple recommend holders to do the work instead of bitching about it.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:38 PM   #40
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If it's really that simple, what is your proposal for improved enforcement? If we're going to start bashing the church leadership for being uninspired and/or deceitful, then please provide the text of the agreement and let's go over point by point what was agreed to and what mechanisms the church claimed would be used to implement such an agreement.

Thanks in advance.
I don't have a proposal for improved enforcement. It wasn't my promise. The only knowledge of the agreement I have is what has been reported on the news. The key point (which the church hasn't disputed) is that the baptisms would no longer take place. I'm not privy to their point by point plan of enforcing it. It's not necessary to know what the plan is to know that it isn't working. Like I said before, if it can't be enforced at this time, come clean and say it can't be done.