cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yeah I doubt this has ever happened. Good thing Mormons don't volunteer for the military in proportion to Non-Mormons, or this situation might crop up once.
You honestly think the church policy applies equally in this case?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's sort of weird talking to people who believe that abortion (in the case of incest and rape) is a personal choice but adoption is not.

I feel like I am in bizarro world.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #33
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

I think the church only advises unwed mothers to place their children for adoption. If the unwed parents decide to marry, I do'nt think the church will advise the married couple to adopt out the child.

In the case of the widow, she is definately not "unwed". I don't think the church will advise her to do anything but rather would offer support, as needed.

All in all, the church's policy on adoption seems very reasonable and inspired to me. It should also be noted that I'm not too big on LDS Social Services and I still think the policy is a good one.

And for the record, I'm against abortion in the case of rape or incest.

Also, for the record, I think unwed mothers that keep their children instead of choosing adoption are self centered and selfish (but not nearly as much as those that choose abortion).

Last edited by Burning Bright; 11-13-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #34
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Mike, do you have something against adoption? Or is it something against the church suggesting that a baby born to an unmarried woman is likely to be better off in a two-parent home? Typically, wouldn't the child be better off in a two-parent home? Single moms are statistically more likely to be living in poverty.
Statistics are meaningless to individuals. My wife had a baby out of wedlock and was a single mom for 9 years. Now, her daughter does have a mother and a (step-)father. I doubt that when she's grown she (or anyone else) is going to look back and say she'd have been better off with another family.

In other words, I see what Mike is getting at, and I agree. I don't think the counsel he says was given over the pulpit was appropriate or correct.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #35
Indy Coug

Quote:
It's sort of weird talking to people who believe that abortion (in the case of incest and rape) is a personal choice but adoption is not.

I feel like I am in bizarro world.
You're in bizarro world if you honestly think that adoption is not a personal choice.

Does the failure to put a child up for adoption result in church disciplinary action?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You're in bizarro world if you honestly think that adoption is not a personal choice.

Does the failure to put a child up for adoption result in church disciplinary action?
Does abortion in the case of rape/incest result in disciplinary action?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #37
Burning Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Statistics are meaningless to individuals. My wife had a baby out of wedlock and was a single mom for 9 years. Now, her daughter does have a mother and a (step-)father. I doubt that when she's grown she (or anyone else) is going to look back and say she'd have been better off with another family.

In other words, I see what Mike is getting at, and I agree. I don't think the counsel he says was given over the pulpit was appropriate or correct.
I'll say it. She most likely would have been better off. The only exceptions I can think of would be if the adoptive parent turned out to be a molester or an idiot or something.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Does abortion in the case of rape/incest result in disciplinary action?
You didn't answer my question.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #39
Indy Coug

Quote:
When the decision is made to place an infant for adoption, the infant is not the only one who benefits. Young women who choose adoption are more likely to complete high school and go on to higher education. They are more likely to be employed and less likely to live in poverty or receive public assistance. They are also less likely to repeat out-of-wedlock pregnancy (see Kristin A. Moore and others, Adolescent Sex, Contraception, and Childbearing: A Review of Recent Research [1995]; see also Steven D. McLaughlin and others, “Do Adolescents Who Relinquish Their Children Fare Better or Worse Than Those Who Raise Them?” Family Planning Perspectives, Jan.–Feb. 1988, 25–32).

In most cases, teenage unwed fathers are absent from the lives of their children. One noted sociologist cites a number of studies that suggest children who grow up without their fathers are three times more likely to have a child out of wedlock, twice as likely to drop out of high school, and two to three times as likely to have emotional or behavioral problems, and they often become the poorest of the poor (see David Popenoe, Life without Father [1996]).
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #40
Burning Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You didn't answer my question.

I don't think it does, but I'm not positive.