cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #31
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about. You might as well say that physics is God and Newton is the prophet (Einstein as first counselor?). Are your beliefs so tenuous that you can't handle knowledge coming from sources other than Mormon leaders?
That's an attempt to dodge and deflect; to denegrate my beliefs, to turn the discussion from you onto me. If you cannot other wise contend with my ideas other other than to condescend, resist the urge to post.

My faith is not tenuous -yours, in science, is.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I have no idea what you could possibly be talking about. You might as well say that physics is God and Newton is the prophet (Einstein as first counselor?). Are your beliefs so tenuous that you can't handle knowledge coming from sources other than Mormon leaders?
I think this thread is a good case in point why it's folly to jettison the spiritual in favor of the physical when the two appear to be irreconcilably opposed. Our very incomplete understanding of the physical is not enough for some of us to dismiss the spiritual witness we've received.

Evidently you're more than comfortable in doing so.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #33
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
That's an attempt to dodge and deflect; to denegrate my beliefs, to turn the discussion from you onto me. If you cannot other wise contend with my ideas other other than to condescend, resist the urge to post.

My faith is not tenuous -yours, in science, is.
You presented a silly, subjective parody. How am I to "contend" with that?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #34
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
so Evolution is God and Darwin is the prophet of the restoration ... how would you like to pay for the registration of your religion -cash or credit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Woot is to science what Tex and Aaron Shaf are to religion.
Whoa. Did I miss something?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #35
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I think this thread is a good case in point why it's folly to jettison the spiritual in favor of the physical when the two appear to be irreconcilably opposed. Our very incomplete understanding of the physical is not enough for some of us to dismiss the spiritual witness we've received.

Evidently you're more than comfortable in doing so.
Indeed, I am. I'm not sure how this thread demonstrates your point. New evidence will be brought forth daily for as long as humanity continues. Is each instance of this supposed to remind me that science doesn't know everything? I needn't be reminded of something I deal with on a daily basis in my own work.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #36
Indy Coug

Quote:
Indeed, I am. I'm not sure how this thread demonstrates your point. New evidence will be brought forth daily for as long as humanity continues. Is each instance of this supposed to remind me that science doesn't know everything? I needn't be reminded of something I deal with on a daily basis in my own work.
My point?

Anti-LDS stance: DNA evidence proves no Middle Eastern presence in ancient America. Therefore, the Book of Mormon is false.

New research: New DNA evidence shows that ancient America was populated from various corners of the earth besides Trans-Siberian settlers, including Europe.

So if you've made your bed with the Anti-LDS stance, you have to at least admit there are a few bed bugs that have crawled in and disturbed your slumber.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #37
woot

Quote:
My point?

Anti-LDS stance: DNA evidence proves no Middle Eastern presence in ancient America. Therefore, the Book of Mormon is false.

New research: New DNA evidence shows that ancient America was populated from various corners of the earth, including Europe.

So if you've made your bed with the Anti-LDS stance, you have to at least admit there are a few bed bugs that have crawled in and disturbed your slumber.
Not in the slightest. Even if we found evidence that a small band of people crossed the ocean at about 600 BC in an improbable boat, it wouldn't back up any of the supernatural claims. I agree it would give me pause, though. That there is still not a shred of positive evidence in favor of this story should give you pause.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Not in the slightest. Even if we found evidence that a small band of people crossed the ocean at about 600 BC in an improbable boat, it wouldn't back up any of the supernatural claims. I agree it would give me pause, though. That there is still not a shred of positive evidence in favor of this story should give you pause.
http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/Entomo...000/wells.html
Old 10-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #39
woot

Quote:
I'll need an interpretation of how that applies to what we're talking about.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #40
Indy Coug

Quote:
I'll need an interpretation of how that applies to what we're talking about.
Circumstantial evidence of Pre-Columbian American contact with Egypt as it relates to your comment about an "unlikely boat".