cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
????? What is a moot point. Are you saying your Dad's ward therefor doesn't have brown skinned people?
Brown skinned people??? How the heck did you get on that topic?

We're talking about the affect of the "white shirt policy" on new members or less actives.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #32
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
????? What is a moot point. Are you saying your Dad's ward therefor doesn't have brown skinned people?
I don't really get your point either. Catholic Latinos play soccer in Utah county?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #33
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Brown skinned people??? How the heck did you get on that topic?

We're talking about the affect of the "white shirt policy" on new members or less actives.
You brought up Utah County and I answered about the breaking of the Sabbath down there. Then you mentioned the 95% thing.

I still don't get it. Are you saying because the ward is 95% active there won't be a problem with a white shirt policy.

It used to be so simple. If you broke the WOW, were unchaste, masterbated or killed someone you were considered to be inactive. Now if you where a blue shirt to church you will be considered inactive.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #34
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't really get your point either. Catholic Latinos play soccer in Utah county?
BYU71 doesn't like illegals in this country, and esp. does not like it when cities announce that they are "sanctuaries" for illegals.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #35
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that when the church cycles in and out white shirts from the local temples, they are going to make them freely available for those shirt-challenged members, if they aren't able to afford their own mighty whities.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #36
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Indy indicated Utah County is ready for the higher law. How can the county be ready for the higher law if there are people down there breaking the Sabbath.

There was some sattire in my post. Maybe it wasn't very good satire.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #37
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
all men must wear white shirts and be clean shaven. All women must wear nylons and no sandals.

Her bishop also does not schedule talks, he calls people up at random out of the congregation to discuss certain topics. He does give the topics the week before and he expects everyone to go home and study them.

My mom told me that the foyers have never been so full.
I'm not sure I understand the deal with nylons. Are nylons more modest then bare legs or just dressier? Sandals look trashy but a woman with tanned and toned legs can be quite inspiring.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #38
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
My understanding is that when the church cycles in and out white shirts from the local temples, they are going to make them freely available for those shirt-challenged members, if they aren't able to afford their own mighty whities.
It's not an issue of whether they can afford them. It's an issue of them making it to church and you telling them their offer isn't acceptable because it's they're not clean shaven or wearing nylons. It just isn't right.

My stake prez told us in priesthood leadership that we should wear white shirts and encourage ym to wear them when administering the sacrament. I can live with that kind of presentation of a white shirt rule. I've got an inactive deacon that wore a blue shirt last time he came. Over time I'll broach the subject, but I know the family and I promise you it's not something they need to deal with right now.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #39
jay santos

Quote:
Indy indicated Utah County is ready for the higher law. How can the county be ready for the higher law if there are people down there breaking the Sabbath.

There was some sattire in my post. Maybe it wasn't very good satire.

Gotcha. I just didn't understand where you were going with that.

And I'm easy to get my feathers ruffled at Utah County slams. I've lived here a long time, and most of the people don't fit the stereotype.

Lebowski, Coug Junkie, and I are the Utah County guys of CG, as far as I know. Compare that group to Lingo, Tex, and Indy all non Utah guys at the moment.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My ward growing up had no policy about shirt color. Sacrament was often a rainbow affair, with colors of all types.

The mission rate was very high, almost 100%.

In my ward, white shirts are emphasized, and results have not been very good.

Is there a relationship between white shirts and outcomes?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote