cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #31
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I said there wasn't any such thing and he gave me the Articles of Faith, which, as Archea notes, don't even claim to be doctrine.
Doctrine

1. A principle or body of principles presented for acceptance or BELIEF, as by a religious, political, scientific, or philosophic group;

The AofF are immutable...they will never change

We will always for example believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
sorry, meant to direct it at seattle.
I'm not trolling. I honestly think that it's unfortunate that LDS like Ute4ever are unable to reflect enough to realize that what Benedict has done is no different than what has happened in the past in the LDS Church.

There is one distinction, and that's that the Catholic Church has always been assiduous about announcing doctrines and related guidance in writing. Often they appear as elegant philisophical tracts and even perhaps the type of pseudo-mathematical problem solving as Pelagius offered here. The LDS Church, in contrast, really doesn't have a coherent doctrine expressed in writing, so it's easy to deflect changes as something other than "doctrine."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #33
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Doctrine

We will always for example believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost.
Is it a trinity or differentiated as Arians believed? Where can I find that outside of "Mormon Doctrine?" Seems to me this is a pretty fundamental question.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #34
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Is it a trinity or differentiated as Arians believed? Where can I find that outside of "Mormon Doctrine?" Seems to me this is a pretty fundamental question.
Okay now you are trolling. Three separate beings who are united in purpose is something that is taught over and over in church. You even did so many times as a missionary.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #35
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not trolling. I honestly think that it's unfortunate that LDS like Ute4ever are unable to reflect enough to realize that what Benedict has done is no different than what has happened in the past in the LDS Church.

There is one distinction, and that's that the Catholic Church has always been assiduous about announcing doctrines and related guidance in writing. Often they appear as elegant philisophical tracts and even perhaps the type of pseudo-mathematical problem solving as Pelagius offered here. The LDS Church, in contrast, really doesn't have a coherent doctrine expressed in writing, so it's easy to deflect changes as something other than "doctrine."
If you are truly not trolling, I apologize, but a majority of your posts here really do seem like trolling. Of course, a difference between our beliefs and the Catholic Church are that we believe that we have a true prophet of God on this earth who receives revelation from God while Catholics believe that Heaven is closed to further revelation (at least that is my understanding.)
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #36
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
The articles of faith are the LDS church core doctrines. Other doctrine like baptism for the dead....endowments are a subset of the core doctrines
I wouldn't call them core doctrines, but launching pads of belief.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #37
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
If you are truly not trolling, I apologize, but a majority of your posts here really do seem like trolling. Of course, a difference between our beliefs and the Catholic Church are that we believe that we have a true prophet of God on this earth who receives revelation from God while Catholics believe that Heaven is closed to further revelation (at least that is my understanding.)
I don't think that does justice to what they believe. On the other hand, they don't claim the pope regularly talks to Christ or angels. Do Mormons claim that about their leaders? (Cite, please.)

They do believe in miracles because that's how they decide who should be a saint, as I understand it.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't think that does justice to what they believe. On the other hand, they don't claim the pope regularly talks to Christ or angels. Do Mormons claim that about their leaders? (Cite, please.)

They do believe in miracles because that's how they decide who should be a saint, as I understand it.
We do not claim it. In fact, today they don't even talk about it, when and if it does happen, except extremely infrequently. If you follow LDS logic on the issue, least common denominator, it will be a rare occurence when angels or God visits even the leaders.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #39
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

Not only are you trolling, but you're also lying. 2 traits common with your character, or lack thereof.

Some of the "intellectuals" on here feed your ego because they won't call you on your bullshit manipulation act while respecting your ability to intelligently express that bullshit, but I've no problem seeing it for what it is.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-21-2007 at 01:29 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #40
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I wouldn't call them core doctrines, but launching pads of belief.
Some are core doctrines,,,some are launching pads of belief.

Article 1 is a Core Doctrine

Article 2 is a Core Doctrine

Article 3 is a Core Doctrine

Article 4 mentions several Core Doctrines

Article 5 mentions more Core Doctrines

Article 6 isn't as specific, but still touches on a Core Doctrine

Article 7 see Article 6

Article 8 is most definetly a Core Doctrine..in fact a keystone of it.

Article 9 is Core Doctrine, but is more statement oriented and less specific

Article 10 is a Core Doctrine, but rarely talked about.

Article 11 is more of a statement of do what you want.

Article 12 a belief statement

Article 13 basically a statement saying we seek good things.

Most of the Articles are VERY much Core Doctrine, but not all.