cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm curious (being out of the loop as I am and is my wont), why the anger at Quinn? So he's gay. Call him a sinner, a freak, whatever (from devout Mormons' perspective), but hate him for that? I'm not being pedantic or preachy here, it just strikes me as curious that he would arouse such strong antipathy just for being gay--people would go out of their way to black ball him, deny him a means to earning a decent living. Okay, so he's written well-researched and persuasive stuff that arguably casts doubt on Joseph Smith's claims. So has Bushman and other devout Latter-Day Saint scholars, and others who are not devout Mormons and have not aroused such rage in conservative Mormon circles. I confess to not having been a great consumer of Quinn's writing, but I doubt it's as Archea represents. As I understand the situation nobody considers him to be anti-Mormon in a vitriolic, Tanner-like way; there are sound bases for all of his viewpoints.

So I find it curious that he attracts such venom. Am I wrong about any of the facts? My guess is that people are so angry because he was once in so exalted a position in the Church.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-22-2006 at 09:10 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

On what basis are you saying he attracts venom?

Based on what people have said about him on this thread?

I get the impression that he is considered a somewhat flawed scholar, based on some of his recent work. Meaning that it wasn't up to par. But "Friend" for example, feels like he could regain his standing if he did work more akin to his earlier stuff (and less wildly speculative stuff with an agenda).

Again, I've met to meet someone who reads Mormon history and speaks venomously about Quinn. We must run in different circles.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #33
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters

I get the impression that he is considered a somewhat flawed scholar, based on some of his recent work. Meaning that it wasn't up to par. But "Friend" for example, feels like he could regain his standing if he did work more akin to his earlier stuff (and less wildly speculative stuff with an agenda).

Again, I've met to meet someone who reads Mormon history and speaks venomously about Quinn. We must run in different circles.
All I'm basing my post on is this thread and the Wall Steet Journal article. That's why I asked whether my assumed facts were right.

By the way, the WSJ article looks a lot like a PR firm piece/plant to me. That's what they do, is plant stories. In fact, on any given day half the business section in any paper may have been written or contrived by PR firms. There's a symbiotic relationship there--the news outlets constantly need fresh material about emerging stars in their field or controversial figures and PR firms are in the business of building positive public images or repairing battered images.

As far as my "circle" in Mormonism, you guys are pretty much it except for my family, and we don't much discuss this stuff.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-22-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I would second Mike's comments. It appears that most LDS history buffs both in and out of the church respect his scholarship and his contributions to LDS history. But once he became "exed" and "outed", he will forever be persona non grata to the vocal conservative core of the church. It's a real pity since (to the best of my understanding), he has been a relatively friendly apostate. He still claims to believe the core tenets of the faith, for crying out loud.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I'm off, but the average Mormon conservative is not likely to be a history buff. Sustained interest in Mormon history usually induces a bit of "liberalism" in the sense of being able to sustain multiple views and ideas at the same time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Maybe I'm off, but the average Mormon conservative is not likely to be a history buff. Sustained interest in Mormon history usually induces a bit of "liberalism" in the sense of being able to sustain multiple views and ideas at the same time.
Agreed.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #37
SeattleUte

The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
All I'm basing my post on is this thread and the Wall Steet Journal article. That's why I asked whether my assumed facts were right.

By the way, the WSJ article looks a lot like a PR firm piece/plant to me. That's what they do, is plant stories. In fact, on any given day half the business section in any paper may have been written or contrived by PR firms. There's a symbiotic relationship there--the news outlets constantly need fresh material about emerging stars in their field or controversial figures and PR firms are in the business of building positive public images or repairing battered images.

As far as my "circle" in Mormonism, you guys are pretty much it except for my family, and we don't much discuss this stuff.
His early stuff was helpful, reasonably well-researched and well-received, but his post excommunication stuff, was not up to par, and appeared to have an agenda.

Mike summarized the sentiments toward him. Fulton's words are telling, "he's a nothing person," meaning there isn't venom toward, but really apathy because he's not longer in good graces and no longer producing quality stuff. He went from historian with no agenda to fiction writer with an agenda.

As SU has pointed out, it's a narrow field, and if your stuff isn't any good, absolutely nobody has use for you. So there isn't venom, just apathy, and no desire to hear an old guy with an agenda.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #39
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Mike summarized the sentiments toward him. Fulton's words are telling, "he's a nothing person," meaning there isn't venom toward, but really apathy because he's not longer in good graces and no longer producing quality stuff. He went from historian with no agenda to fiction writer with an agenda.
I know Ira Fulton and he is a great guy with a big heart and a ton of money, but hardly what I would call an LDS history buff.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #40
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
I know Ira Fulton and he is a great guy with a big heart and a ton of money, but hardly what I would call an LDS history buff.
Then you travel in bigtime circles if you personally know Ira. My circles are with small guys and nobody of that wealth, that I know of.