cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You can argue all you wish, and although I see your point I like my definition better and prefer it to yours. It's neater in your binary world.

Not a hundred, a hundred and hundreds.

Otherwise, it's not a hundred, a hundred, more than a hundred and hundreds. One can use that assumption which you are, but I purposefully choose not to use that delineation.

I choose less than a hundred, exactly a hundred and hundreds, meaning more than a hundred.

And more importantly I rounded up in this instance, given that we have more than 1600 hundred years of this experience.
I'm saying what is common usage (as in almost everyone). You are saying what you prefer and what makes sense to you.

I win.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm saying what is common usage (as in almost everyone). You are saying what you prefer and what makes sense to you.

I win.
Are you menopausal?

People who are not trying to be mathematically precise will agree with me that after you exceed more than half the other way, i.e., six, that you can round up and arrive at two, making it multiple.

You win what? Using the common banal meaning of a phrase? How boring is that. Leaders don't conform to social "norms."
Old 08-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #33
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't see Mormonism, as founded, as based on fear-mongering. I see it as transcendently hopeful, even blasphemous in its belief in the common man and woman, that they can become like gods.
What would you say is the difference between fear mongering and warning? For example, when I teach from the Book of Mormon the warnings of the prophets concerning the consequences of a disobedient people is that fear mongering or just a warning? Should the church be transcendentally hopeful that a wicked people, such as the ones described in the BOM can become Gods, and give them a pat on the back? Or is it the job of the Prophet to teach, warn exhort, etc? To invite them to repent and come unto Christ or to shrug his shoulders? Jona didn't want to go to Ninevah; it probably isn't always easy for the prophet to say what he must.

My view of this is shifting. I guess the question for members is whether we are going to trust the prophet on a moral issue or decide that he has it wrong. Thanks in advance for not erecting the John D. Lee straw man in response. I respect your right to say that the church has it wrong, but you should respect the right of others to defer to the prophet. The thrust of your argument seems to be that based on what we know from scripture and about the church that the prophet couldn't be on the Lords errand in this case. You could be right, but that is that decision each of us are having to make. I can respect either choice, can you?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #34
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If it's as fundamental to the purpose and existence of our mortal probation as marriage, yes.

You may well be right, but I will admit that I am very uneasy about the establishment of any law with the rationale being "God said so". I do not want laws that come out of the Koran to be enacted simply because Muslims believe that Allah desires it. I would feel somewhat a hypocrite if I opposed that but was fine with my side doing the same thing. If there is a valid reason outside of the religious one for making a law (such as in the case of "Thou shalt not kill"), it is obviously a different matter.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
What would you say is the difference between fear mongering and warning? For example, when I teach from the Book of Mormon the warnings of the prophets concerning the consequences of a disobedient people is that fear mongering or just a warning? Should the church be transcendentally hopeful that a wicked people, such as the ones described in the BOM can become Gods, and give them a pat on the back? Or is it the job of the Prophet to teach, warn exhort, etc? To invite them to repent and come unto Christ or to shrug his shoulders? Jona didn't want to go to Ninevah; it probably isn't always easy for the prophet to say what he must.

My view of this is shifting. I guess the question for members is whether we are going to trust the prophet on a moral issue or decide that he has it wrong. Thanks in advance for not erecting the John D. Lee straw man in response. I respect your right to say that the church has it wrong, but you should respect the right of others to defer to the prophet. The thrust of your argument seems to be that based on what we know from scripture and about the church that the prophet couldn't be on the Lords errand in this case. You could be right, but that is that decision each of us are having to make. I can respect either choice, can you?
Holy Cow, going again to the Tick notion that LDS who support the official church position are being oppressed by LDS who do not.

To use a pretty strong analogy, this is a little like the Nazi concentration camp staffers saying, "We have it pretty bad here too, stop complaining!"
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #36
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
To use a pretty strong analogy, this is a little like the Nazi concentration camp staffers saying, "We have it pretty bad here too, stop complaining!"
Strong is not he s-word adjective I would have chosen.

Despite your willingness to see it, no one is suggesting you are in position to oppress anyone else. The question was whether you, as a person, can respect the opinion and decision of others on this issue.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Strong is not he s-word adjective I would have chosen.

Despite your willingness to see it, no one is suggesting you are in position to oppress anyone else. The question was whether you, as a person, can respect the opinion and decision of others on this issue.
Just because I am critical of the libertarian turned fascist argument of Tick, and Archaea's loose and incorrect use or language doesn't mean that I can't theoretically respect the views of a reasoned, thought-out, heartful, compassionate decision that opposes mine.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #38
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just because I am critical of the libertarian turned fascist argument of Tick, and Archaea's loose and incorrect use or language doesn't mean that I can't theoretically respect the views of a reasoned, thought-out, heartful, compassionate decision that opposes mine.

Sure, it's possible. Do you?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #39
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

How am I a facist? Because I don't agree with you?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #40
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Heh. John D. Lee, Nazi concentration camps, and fascism.

Part of me wonders why some of you continue to engage Waters.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote