cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #31
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

To simply reject Nibley's critique as "awful" is intellectually irresponsible. You will have to be more specific as to why Nibley knows a lot less than you do. Feel free to site his work if you wish.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Now I'm laughing out loud, at the irony. Brody was a tenured professor of history at UCLA, a world-class university. That's a dinstinction that was well beyond Nibly's reach. Whatever the status today of her biographies other than No Man (which I think we've established is a mainstream classic), when they were published they were well received and she made a lot of money selling many copies of them. That's the most any author can expet in his/her lifetime. Who knows what future generations will think of them? Outside the Church, nobody would call what Nibly wrote "scholarship." Honestly, he's considered a nut job, outside the Church.
Was UCLA "world class" at the time of her hire and tenure? I don't know, as I'm not a historian, but Harvard, Oxford, ToDai, BeiDa come to mind as world class. Or is that a little hyperbole?

UCLA probably has been a good university for some time, but as good as even Berkeley?

Let's try national or regional class.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #33
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
UNR, now there's a great institution.
They have the best nature literature writing program in the world.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #34
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
They have the best nature literature writing program in the world.
They also have a very good school of mining, Mackey School of Mines has had notoriety for some time.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #35
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Was UCLA "world class" at the time of her hire and tenure? I don't know, as I'm not a historian, but Harvard, Oxford, ToDai, BeiDa come to mind as world class. Or is that a little hyperbole?

UCLA probably has been a good university for some time, but as good as even Berkeley?

Let's try national or regional class.
The University of California system, the crown jewels of which are UC Berkely and UCLA, is absolutely world class, and has been for a long time. UCLA does many more things well than any Ivy League school except Harvard. Great public unversities are in a special class in terms of the breadth of things they do well. Although it's very difficult to get into UCLA, and its peers such as Michigan and Berkely, you don't measure them just by the test scores and GPAs of their entering classes.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #36
fusnik11

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Good heavens, Fusnik. You read this book on your honeymoon? That is beyond bizarre.
Thanks.

Four hour flight each day, a day on the beach where the wife is immersed in the 'Idiot,' my inability to be a robot and instantly recharge gave me plenty of time to rip through 65% of the book.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The University of California system, the crown jewels of which are UC Berkely and UCLA, is absolutely world class, and has been for a long time. UCLA does many more things well than any Ivy League school except Harvard. Great public unversities are in a special class in terms of the breadth of things they do well. Although it's very difficult to get into UCLA, and its peers such as Michigan and Berkely, you don't measure them just by the test scores and GPAs of their entering classes.
Amen. UCLA is a great school.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #38
fusnik11

Quote:
Brodie's book is interesting to me on two levels:

a. It serves as the banner work people cite while leaving the work

and

b. Historically she is spot on.

So, I would assume, it creates quite the predicament for the intellectually honest, and spiritually led.

It, IMO, raises no more questions than Bushman's latest work, difference is, one must wade through her leaps to get to the real content of the book.

A mathematical example to demonstrate her book.

1 + 1 = 2, in every single language

1 + x = y, y = standard mormon testimony, x = the unknown

1 + x(y/x) = Brodie's book
Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #39
Archaea

Quote:
Well who's measuring?

From my academic experience, I remember emphasis on these public institutions, Michigan, Virginia, Texas at Austin, Berkeley.

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know whether Cal Tech and MIT are public or private, as I believe they are public, but never checked to find out. Those two universities rank highly.

In England or abroad, I bet you would be hard pressed to get recognition of UCLA as on par with Harvard, Michigan, MIT, Stanford, or Berkeley.

"World Class" should be reserved to a few, not a lot. Are we ranking based on endowment? Are ranking based on publications?

No, it seems the north end of the state does scholarship and south end does sports.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #40
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Brodie's book is interesting to me on two levels:

a. It serves as the banner work people cite while leaving the work

and

b. Historically she is spot on.

So, I would assume, it creates quite the predicament for the intellectually honest, and spiritually led.

It, IMO, raises no more questions than Bushman's latest work, difference is, one must wade through her leaps to get to the real content of the book.

A mathematical example to demonstrate her book.

1 + 1 = 2, in every single language

1 + x = y, y = standard mormon testimony, x = the unknown

1 + x(y/x) = Brodie's book
And that's the problem, life is a partial integral, not a simple algebraic equation, which is too linear.