cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #31
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
SU is saying that "what comes around, goes around." Though the "goes around" part sometimes takes a while. I really don't think this is immature. I was just funnin' with him.
Well then, that suggests cause and effect, which doesn't square with his statement "that this just happens."

Like Obama, it appears that SU has been knocked off his game.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #32
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Not only is the notion that "obedience leads to blessings" a common myth in the Church, I think it's responsible for a lot of the anxiety felt by Church members (it wasn't until I started hanging out with non-members that i realized that not everyone in the world is hooked on anti-depressants). During my periods of activity I could never understand why I wasn't as happy as I was during my periods of inactivity. It wasn't until I left the Church and embraced my unhappiness that I was truly happy.
Don't blame the church for that. I know plenty of very happy people who live the principles of the gospel.

They also do things some would look their nose down at, like gambling, wearing blue shirts, drinking coke, etc. However, they don't let others determine what obedience means for them. They are comfortable living the gospel as they feel.

Now, if we move onto adultery, big time drinking, etc., I can see how one will have a problem with being happy in the church as those items do really matter.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Well then, that suggests cause and effect, which doesn't square with his statement "that this just happens."

Natural law, my friend.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #34
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Good post.

It reminds me of a scripture I haven't ever understood very well:
"And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."

Thoughts on this? Does that mean that every blessing in my life I've somehow earned by obedience to some principle? Because I sort of feel like I'm the beneficiary of a lot of others' efforts in a lot of areas of my life.

Don't mean to hijack the thread--I'm just also intrigued by the strong connection we tie between obedience and blessings. This is sort of the converse of your original argument.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #35
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

Didn't you know? SU is a Vishnu lovin, karma belivin', Kama Sutra practicing Hindu.

or not
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Good post.

"And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."

Thoughts on this? Does that mean that every blessing in my life I've somehow earned by obedience to some principle? Because I sort of feel like I'm the beneficiary of a lot of others' efforts in a lot of areas of my life.

Don't mean to hijack the thread--I'm just also intrigued by the strong connection we tie between obedience and blessings. This is sort of the converse of your original argument.
I have lots of problems with that scripture. But that's a big enough topic that maybe it deserves another thread.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #37
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Didn't you know? SU is a Vishnu lovin, karma belivin', Kama Sutra practicing Hindu.

or not
No doubt SU wrote the Kama Sutra in a previous life.

Hence this lawyer gig in Seattle.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Coug View Post
One of the predominent themes in LDS Church meetings is the concept of being blessed for a righteous act. I think we all know what I'm talking about. When you go to a stake priesthood meeting that starts at 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday, the Stake President states that all of those in attendance will be richly blessed for making the sacrifice to attend. We will be blessed if we pay our tithing and fast offering. Blessings come when we do our home teaching. I could list a hundred examples and testimony meetings typically have at least one person who shares an experience where the person believes that he or she was immediately blessed after some righteous act. LDS members get pounded with the righteous act=blessings logic. There is no doubt in my mind that the primary motivation for many members to do certain actions within the church is to receive blessings.

I would just like to say that I don't believe in this concept at all and my personal life experiences regularly contradict it. I just wanted to get this off my chest and didn't want to be bombarded by holier than thou responses on cougarboard.
God is not a vending machine where you put your 50 cents in, and out comes your Diet Coke. To the extent that a member believes this, he's wrong.

On the other hand, we have some pesky scriptures that say the following:

Quote:
D&C 82:9-10

9 Or, in other words, I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation.
10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.
Quote:
D&C 121:33

How long can rolling waters remain impure? What power shall stay the heavens? As well might man stretch forth his puny arm to stop the Missouri river in its decreed course, or to turn it up stream, as to hinder the Almighty from pouring down knowledge from heaven upon the heads of the Latter-day Saints.
And not to be forgotten ...
Quote:
D&C 130:20-21

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.
Thus it is clear that blessings are tied to obedience. That doesn't mean that attending that 7 AM meeting will result in an HDTV materializing on your front doorstep, although temporal blessings may follow. More likely the kinds of blessings the Lord intends are those that prepare us for the eternities. I can't say it better than ute4ever did.

The Vending Machine God is immature, yes. But so is the "I never got a plug nickel from God for my obedience" attitude. As usual, the truth is somewhere in between.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #39
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

There are many laws which, when obeyed, convey blessings. It's unfortunate that:

1. We (in general) expect a blessing to occur for every action taken.
2. We assume we will recognize the blessing as being such.
3. We expect the blessing to come according to our time frame rather than the Lord's.
4. We expect the blessing involved to be no more than an increase in faith/spirit/knowledge/etc.

I don't think that PEC attendance is a law that conveys a promised blessing.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #40
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Good post.

Like I said above, a blessing (plural in some cases) is conveyed for obedience to a law upon which blessings are promised. It's very much like a contract with the Lord.

Unfortunately, we expect to be able to define blessings and sort them into categories..."this comes from obeying that law, and this comes from obeying that law". I don't think it's fair to expect to do that.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote