cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #31
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
That's part of my point. This team drops any game from here on out besides the bowl game and you really can't make any comparison. Tons of what ifs either way.

Here's hoping for 10-2. Maybe we can revisit this comparison then.

Good point and that makes sense.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #32
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Comparison to 2001....

I think a healthy Luke Staley made the 2001 team better. Now if 2006 were to play 2001 and both Luke and Curtis were not allowed to play I take 2006 by a much greater margin than 2001 would beat 2006 with Luke.

Luke Staley was the greatest skill player ever to play at BYU, and that includes muh man Jimmy Mac.

However, this team has more collective talent and ability than any BYU team since 1996, IMO.

I am excited to see how the finish out. I think they should win out. This is a normal year for the MWC. The one good team should win out. That is how it has been in the WAC/MWC every year but perhaps 3 or 4 over the past 20+ years that I have been paying attention.

This is fun. I don't understand why folks get so uptight about not enjoying it until BYU does _______________, but to each their own. This is about as good as this team could play and I am not convinced that BYU could put a team on the field significantly better. That is not to say that this season is as good as BYU can do, unfortunately this team did not take advantage of its opportunities. I just think this team is really playing well right now. Since Ty Detmer left there have been 3 teams play this well, 1994, 1996 and 2001.

Personally, I will enjoy it.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:35 PM   #33
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think a healthy Luke Staley made the 2001 team better. Now if 2006 were to play 2001 and both Luke and Curtis were not allowed to play I take 2006 by a much greater margin than 2001 would beat 2006 with Luke.

Luke Staley was the greatest skill player ever to play at BYU, and that includes muh man Jimmy Mac.

However, this team has more collective talent and ability than any BYU team since 1996, IMO.

I am excited to see how the finish out. I think they should win out. This is a normal year for the MWC. The one good team should win out. That is how it has been in the WAC/MWC every year but perhaps 3 or 4 over the past 20+ years that I have been paying attention.

This is fun. I don't understand why folks get so uptight about not enjoying it until BYU does _______________, but to each their own. This is about as good as this team could play and I am not convinced that BYU could put a team on the field significantly better. That is not to say that this season is as good as BYU can do, unfortunately this team did not take advantage of its opportunities. I just think this team is really playing well right now. Since Ty Detmer left there have been 3 teams play this well, 1994, 1996 and 2001.

Personally, I will enjoy it.
I think a lot of why it's hard to enjoy is that the MWC sucks really bad. Winning MWC teams doesn't prove anything. It would be nice to stack this team up right now against a few top 20 teams to see what would happen.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #34
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Our defense mostly sucked that year. I mean we gave up what...70 points to Hawaii? lol

Sure there were plays here and there by Madarieta to save the game up in laramie against a very bad Wyoming team and the legendary pick by Gilford against Utah.

The defense was not good that year.
Hawaii was a horrible game. Why we scheduled that game for the last game of the year was beyond stupid. You couldn't have scheduled a game more prime for a let down. Special Teams alone killed us. Staley was out. Doman got hurt. Didn't Peterson get hurt as well? And Mahe too I believe. I remember everyone complaining about the turf and the concrete they were playing on. Had we been healthy I honestly believe it would have been a very different game.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #35
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think a lot of why it's hard to enjoy is that the MWC sucks really bad. Winning MWC teams doesn't prove anything. It would be nice to stack this team up right now against a few top 20 teams to see what would happen.
I mostly don't care who we play as long as we're winning. Doesn't take the joy out of it for me.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:46 PM   #36
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
History has taught me that we don't stack up as well as we think. We will win some and lose more than we win.

BYU will get a decent team in a bowl and can make its statement there. However, I will enjoy this ride. I would rather have an undefeated conference season than a bowl win. 8 happy saturdays versus one bad weeknight during the Holidays!

I just watching BYU win. In the end BYU will beat as many top 25 teams as they should and it will not be very many. They are 1-1 this year, .500 is higher than their statistical average.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #37
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I agree with Jay here. While I'd be pissed and hopping mad if this team was getting killed in the MWC, I can't get excited about winning games they should win. Which is why BC and UofA are still lingering like a dark cloud over this team in my mind.

I love this team. I am happy for Beck. I am so glad he's been able to put it together.

But I just don't get the same feeling about this team as I did the 2001 team. I agree with you Goat. Staley was the best skill player ever at the Y. He had the "it" everyone debates ad nauseum on CB. When he touched the ball you're half way out of your seat because he was special and on any play he could bust one.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

When does Fui get healthy again?

It is nice that we might be able to debate whether BYU could compete with 2001 or 1994. I do not believe this team could defeat what might have been BYU's best team ever in 1996. That team was better defensively.

With the lack of tv exposure, and me not being able to see the games, I can't really enjoy them as I would like.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #39
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
When does Fui get healthy again?

It is nice that we might be able to debate whether BYU could compete with 2001 or 1994. I do not believe this team could defeat what might have been BYU's best team ever in 1996. That team was better defensively.

With the lack of tv exposure, and me not being able to see the games, I can't really enjoy them as I would like.
I won't be surprised if they hold Fui out of the Air Force game. High Ankle Sprains are a beeyotch to get over.