cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #31
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
There aren't that many "football analysts" who aren't pretenders here. Junkie, CJF, who else? Some say Hot Lunch is one. Who else? Ah, I forgot Maake.
That's the best you can do?

Get some sleep, SU. You've had a big day posting here and on utefans.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There aren't that many "football analysts" who aren't pretenders here. Junkie, CJF, who else? Some say Hot Lunch is one. Who else? Ah, I forgot Maake.
Ma'ake spends a lot of time with the Utes, and has inside info on them, but he's not analyst.

The difference between those of us who have devoted too much time, to real football players is immense. I've sat with several pro players watching fooball and they are fun to listen to, but what's weird, is that they will watch schemes but sometimes they just sit back and watch the ball as well. They simply recognize tendencies fast as lightning and know what a play is called.

Most casual observers ignore line play and schemes, which are more complex than most basketball schemes.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That's the best you can do?

Get some sleep, SU. You've had a big day posting here and on utefans.
It's like SU's been prancing around the whorehouse all day and still can't find someone to take his money. I'd be in a bad mood too.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 AM   #34
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not an analyst. I'm just a fan like everyone else. Without film from different angles is difficult to get a full appreciation that is happening during these games. One thing film doesn't always show is the swagger. That is part of the reason I think BYU is slightly ahead of Utah. They're playing with a chip on their shoulder, but honestly that's just speculation also. It's all fun for now, but it means nothing when the top dogs start playing each other.

Hot Lunch knows his football and has the ability to get more insight from either BYU or Utah than the rest of us combined. Thrill from CB is also a very intelligent football mind from the boards.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #35
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What are you taking about? Air Force is a better team than UW, by a mile. BYU's other three games have been at home against three other REALLY bad teams. Utah has played one REALLY bad team, and has two road wins.

Utah has the inside track because it plays BYU in Salt Lake City. Stop being so obsequious and show some guts.
I don't think Utah is our scariest game. If we lose one, it will be to TCU. Short week, no practice on Sunday, fairly long road trip. That one has me much more nervous than Utah.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #36
CJF

CJF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I don't think Utah is our scariest game. If we lose one, it will be to TCU. Short week, no practice on Sunday, fairly long road trip. That one has me much more nervous than Utah.
I would agree except the last time we were in this situation we beat a ranked TCU team. If I remember correctly, TCU was even coming off a bye after beating a ranked Texas Tech team. TCU went 11-2 that year. They were good also. If we don't lose 8 players on defense in 2005 we win that game going away. I just think we have TCU's number. They've yet to prove they can slow us down at all and they're not dynamic enough on offense to make me more concerned about them than Utah. Even on a short week and travel.

That doesn't mean I don't think TCU can beat BYU this year. Just means I think the Utah game is much more dangerous game.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF View Post
I would agree except the last time we were in this situation we beat a ranked TCU team. If I remember correctly, TCU was even coming off a bye after beating a ranked Texas Tech team. TCU went 11-2 that year. They were good also. If we don't lose 8 players on defense in 2005 we win that game going away. I just think we have TCU's number. They've yet to prove they can slow us down at all and they're not dynamic enough on offense to make me more concerned about them than Utah. Even on a short week and travel.

That doesn't mean I don't think TCU can beat BYU this year. Just means I think the Utah game is much more dangerous game.
I was at that game. Patterson said, essentially, the Frogs were beaten by a NFL quarterback.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #38
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was at that game. Patterson said, essentially, the Frogs were beaten by a NFL quarterback.
A backup NFL quarterback, it seems.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #39
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
BYU has proven the past 3 years that they are very good team on short weeks. They have beaten TCU twice (once on the road) on Thursday and killed Wyoming 2 years ago on a Thursday night.

I have not seen TCU play yet this year so I have no idea what type of team we are up against. I will be watching this Saturday and cheering for the Horny Toads though. I hope they show well against a damn good Sooner team. I do know that Bronco has done an exceptional job preparing his teams for Thursday night games.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote