cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #31
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I knew you'd love this.
I was out a week for scout camp and I'm just now catching up on some of the fall camp stuff.

Don't you find this Collie at QB thing bizarre?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I was out a week for scout camp and I'm just now catching up on some of the fall camp stuff.

I doubt he gets used much, if at all, at QB, so I honestly don't really care. If he gets used for a handful of red zone plays, I'm fine with it.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #33
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
This Collie at QB thing is not dying. At first I thought it was a gay CB joke, like Bernard for Heisman or FM moving to Utah. This morning Harmon was talking about it on the radio. What the hell?? Seriously.

Collie is a critical element of our offense and he is recovering from injury. And we're wasting time messing with him at QB?? I seriously am boggled by this.
I don't get it either. This has to be a gimmick. I can't believe Collie is a better option at QB than either of the two backups or Covey. This one doesn't make any sense at all, which is why I am certain it isn't what it seems to be.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #34
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't get it either. This has to be a gimmick. I can't believe Collie is a better option at QB than either of the two backups or Covey. This one doesn't make any sense at all, which is why I am certain it isn't what it seems to be.
Has it been confirmed that what they're doing with Collie is prepping him to be the actual backup QB? or is it simply for a few plays in a game like many teams do?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #35
scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Has it been confirmed that what they're doing with Collie is prepping him to be the actual backup QB? or is it simply for a few plays in a game like many teams do?
Wrubell reported on Friday that the backup QB is Gaskins, with "Collie and Covey also training to take 'situational' snaps":

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=4079390

Wrubell then confirmed yesterday that BYU released its depth chart for the Northern Iowa game, and there were only a handful of deviations from his projected two-deep, QB not being one of those deviations:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498&sid=4096998
Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #36
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It's just Weddle 2.0. Staley lined up at QB a few times for Crowton too. As long as it does not become the norm I don't have a big problem with it. I am willing to suspend judgement until I see how it works.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #37
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
It's just Weddle 2.0. Staley lined up at QB a few times for Crowton too. As long as it does not become the norm I don't have a big problem with it. I am willing to suspend judgement until I see how it works.
If that's all it is, I'm cool, but...

1. It appears to be more than that, based on what I'm hearing from Harmon, Wrubell, etc.

2. It's coming at a time Collie is recoving from injury and therefore needs any practice time devoted to timing and other position duties.

Just seems really bizarre.

One of my favorite plays of all time is when Staley audibled out of a run and threw it out to Mahe. Sweet.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #38
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Here is my prediction. At some point, probably in the UW game, they'll break huddle and Max Hall will awkwardly line up at wideout while Collie lines up at shotgun. When the ball snaps he'll run a sweep or option around the side opposite Hall. It will gain about five or so yards. Sometime later that game they'll run the play again. The next time they run it, Collie will fake the sweep and launch one deep to a wideout. Or they'll run a reverse.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #39
scottie

Quote:
If that's all it is, I'm cool, but...

1. It appears to be more than that, based on what I'm hearing from Harmon, Wrubell, etc.
What exactly did Harmon say about it? (See my post above re: what Wrubell is saying about it).
Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #40
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
What exactly did Harmon say about it? (See my post above re: what Wrubell is saying about it).
I caught the tail end of the interview, but he seemed to be saying that they are looking at Collie as a legitimate backup QB in case Hall is hurt, both running and throwing. And they are giving up enough reps to prepare him as such.