cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #31
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
So is that fair?

Is it less fair to create a championship system that really goes through painstaking effort to get the two best teams into a championship game? And would anyone really argue that the BCS doesn't do this?
The two best teams selected to play in the fake championship are determined by what people tell computers to do.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Seperate the issue. Equal access to championship game is what I'm talking about. Though, you could make a pretty damn good argument that the rest of the BCS bowls have become equal access as well.
Do you honestly believe that if Hawaii ended up being the only undefeated team in the country, it would be allowed to play in the championship game?

The BCS is biased against non-BCS teams from the start. That's the unfairness argument.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #33
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Do you honestly believe that if Hawaii ended up being the only undefeated team in the country, it would be allowed to play in the championship game?

The BCS is biased against non-BCS teams from the start. That's the unfairness argument.
If you had a vote, would you vote Hawaii #1 or #2?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #34
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had a vote, I'd vote for a playoff that would allow Hawaii to prove how good or bad they are. Until they lose, no one can prove they don't deserve a crack at the national title, skeptical as most might be.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #35
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
If you had a vote, would you vote Hawaii #1 or #2?
By asking me that question, it would seem that you agree that not every team has an equal shot at the BCS championship.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #36
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
By asking me that question, it would seem that you agree that not every team has an equal shot at the BCS championship.
I laid out having a reasonable schedule as a prerequesite. That's the ante to get in the game. If you're not in a BCS conference and you don't want to schedule at least two or three traditional powers, then you're saying you're not in the game.

If you do that, and you blow the doors off the competition, and you show over a 12 game season week in and week out that you are a #1 or #2 team, I have faith in the current system that you will get your shot.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #37
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

So often we hear that the BCS conferences do not want a playoff, for various reasons.

So why don't the "mid-majors" get the ball rolling? The MWC, WAC, C-USA, and MAC can create their own playoff. Eight teams, two from each conference.

It will generate revenue, and from now on the MWC's third place team can go to the crappy Vegas bowl.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
So often we hear that the BCS conferences do not want a playoff, for various reasons.

So why don't the "mid-majors" get the ball rolling? The MWC, WAC, C-USA, and MAC can create their own playoff. Eight teams, two from each conference.

It will generate revenue, and from now on the MWC's third place team can go to the crappy Vegas bowl.
So we agree to the artificial division and now we legitimize it by creating another layer of division?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #39
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So we agree to the artificial division and now we legitimize it by creating another layer of division?
There are layers of problems here. The BCS conferences refuse to budge because of stubbornness, and the other conferences do not take alternate measures because of pride.

And thus doometh the greatest sport today: division 1 college football.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #40
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I've always thought that a 16 team playoff was very doable.

Take the Champions from all the D-I Conferences, plus Notre Dame/Navy if they qualify.

From there based on a variety of avenues....use the remaining statistical analysis via rankings and computer jumbo junk to determine the remaining at-large teams to fill out the rest of the slots.

That's 11 Automatic Slots plus sometimes 1 in years where an Independent like Notre Dame or Navy would qualify. Big East, ACC, Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, Pac-10, MWC, WAC, MAC, C-USA, Sun-Belt.

That leaves 4-5 at-large spots remaining.

That also leaves plenty of bowl games left over for teams who didn't make it in.

The higher seeded teams....1-8 could host the first round games and from there on out use the rest of the higher paying out bowls to round the rest of the playoffs.

Seed the games and competition in a similar fashion to how the NCAA Bball Tournament is seeded. If that means the Champion from the SunBelt is seeded #16 all the time, then so be it.

A little crude yes,,,but for all of the money in the BCS....there could be a TON more made with a legit playoff system.

My problem is with the 11 conferences. Some of these schools should not be playing D1 football. Base it off attendance, revenue whatever you would like but D1 needs to be narrowed down to 8, 12 team conferences and that would give you 8 autos and 8 at large. Done and Done.
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote