cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #31
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Conjugal visits are allowed in some prisons. I am hoping this logic holds true for me.
You'll be a spirit. You won't feel anything.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #32
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
How is that not backed up by the verse he quoted following?
1. That verse only refers Celestial Kingdom. When your loved one dies, they're not going to the celestial kingdom by the time of the funeral no matter if they are worthy to or not.

2. Back to my points 1,2,3 from first page post. If you don't have exact knowledge on those three points, then you are flat out wrong telling me my grandpa wasn't reunited with my dead grandma upon death. If Nelson does have exact knowledge, then I wish he would share it, because it's unclear to me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #33
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Who here besides Indy believes this?
I do. What's your point?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #34
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You'll be a spirit. You won't feel anything.
says you...sex with me is a spiritual experience...so I am told
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #35
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I do. What's your point?
Apostles are regular members of the Church, just with different calling, having the same rights to revelation as the regular joe-schmoe church member. Didn't BKP recently give a talk stating as much? Curious if people here besides Indy believe otherwise.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #36
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Apostles are regular members of the Church, just with different calling, having the same rights to revelation as the regular joe-schmoe church member. Didn't BKP recently give a talk stating as much? Curious if people here besides Indy believe otherwise.
I have a more conservative view of the apostles than that. I believe without a doubt they have more understanding than I do on true doctrine. I don't think Nelson really thought through what he was saying. And if he does believe that (my 1,2,3 from first page post), he may be right, but it's not clearly revealed, and I'd appreciate some more light on the subject before we go potentially offending people for no reason.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #37
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
So the Gospel is essentially a giant wink and nod exercise?

Despite your claim for astute reading and thinking, that's the most you can gather from my comments?

Frankly, I attributed more to you than that. Thank you for clearing up my misconception.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #38
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a more conservative view of the apostles than that. I believe without a doubt they have more understanding than I do on true doctrine. I don't think Nelson really thought through what he was saying. And if he does believe that (my 1,2,3 from first page post), he may be right, but it's not clearly revealed, and I'd appreciate some more light on the subject before we go potentially offending people for no reason.
I disagree, obviously. Why would they have more understanding than you or me on true doctrine? They may have different opinions of what "true" doctrine is, but not more understanding. That wouldn't seem fair or logical to me.

Last edited by scottie; 10-08-2008 at 10:02 PM.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #39
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1. That verse only refers Celestial Kingdom. When your loved one dies, they're not going to the celestial kingdom by the time of the funeral no matter if they are worthy to or not.

2. Back to my points 1,2,3 from first page post. If you don't have exact knowledge on those three points, then you are flat out wrong telling me my grandpa wasn't reunited with my dead grandma upon death. If Nelson does have exact knowledge, then I wish he would share it, because it's unclear to me.
1. Whoa, wait a minute. Where in that scripture does it say "this only applies to the Celestial Kingdom"?

2. Nelson did share it, but you're not accepting it.

Here we have God saying "I don't honor earthly connections" and that apparently means nothing to you. We have Jesus speaking of a "great gulf fixed," as does Nephi. What does that mean to you?

I also think you're reading too much into one sentence. I don't think Nelson was drawing an absolute on all contact whatsoever--who the hell knows what exactly existence is like in the afterlife? His point is, a true reunion--a reuniting and reconstitution of the marital relationship which existed here on earth--is not possible and will not happen.

Even if God let's them sneak in a hug and a phone call, it won't last. Not until they are bound by a contract with eternal efficacy. In the end, the doctrine is true that they will be separate.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #40
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Elder Nelson would prefer that obituaries were a little more realistic:

"Jane Smith, beloved wife and mother, passed away on October 8, 2008. She has NOT been reunited with her deceased husband, John, as they were only married until death. The location of her spirit is not entirely clear, but it has been revealed that it likely resides in solitary confinement in the Spirit Correctional Facility pending further spiritual development (e.g. kicking that coffee habit that plagued her to the end)."
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote