cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #31
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default dixie chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
No the Dixie Chicks are like other artists who piss me off who grandstand on the stage and give me an earful of their political views instead of the music I paid to listen to. Nothing pisses me off more than paying decent money for a show to only have the artist I like go into a diatribe about Bush, the environment, or whatever else.
You paid money to see the Dixie Chicks?

Seriously, I definitely agree a gaggle of young airheads who can look cute while crooning a tune are not a good source of political insight or warfare strategy.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #32
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Aren't JL and TB both right, to some extent?

On the one hand, yes, they lost their target market, they (still) aren't being played on country stations, there's no point in touring south of the mason/dixon line.

On the other hand, the controversy has allowed them to reinvent themselves. The new album and song have had phenomenal success, and the "critics" now take them seriously instead of considering them a trio of cute blonde chicks. But they're getting airplay as an adult contemporary artist instead of as a traditional country artist.

They'll probably never again be welcome at the CMAs but I think they're nominated for like five grammys or something like that.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #33
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That was a pretty selective cut-and-paste job. Bravo.
No more selective than citing the wiki article as definative evidence that the dixie chicks are now in the poor house as a result of the comments!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #34
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Aren't JL and TB both right, to some extent?

On the one hand, yes, they lost their target market, they (still) aren't being played on country stations, there's no point in touring south of the mason/dixon line.

On the other hand, the controversy has allowed them to reinvent themselves. The new album and song have had phenomenal success, and the "critics" now take them seriously instead of considering them a trio of cute blonde chicks. But they're getting airplay as an adult contemporary artist instead of as a traditional country artist.

They'll probably never again be welcome at the CMAs but I think they're nominated for like five grammys or something like that.
Bingo! Well stated.

I would also ad that the Dixie Chicks had peaked, they had tapped their market .... They had to reinvent themselves to get access to new markets. That's why I don't think the comments were sincerely unscripted!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
No more selective than citing the wiki article as definative evidence that the dixie chicks are now in the poor house as a result of the comments!
Yeah, whatever. I never said poor house. I am saying that they took a hit financially. I have read that in numerous places, including the cited article.

Either way, go ahead and declare victory. I really don't care that much.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #36
tooblue

Quote:
Yeah, whatever. I never said poor house. I am saying that they took a hit financially. I have read that in numerous places, including the cited article.

Not trying nor interested in declaring victory. I see the situation differently.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Bingo! Well stated.

I would also ad that the Dixie Chicks had peaked, they had tapped their market .... They had to reinvent themselves to get access to new markets. That's why I don't think the comments were sincerely unscripted!
I'm not a musician or in the music business, but I'd guess that if a band has to reinvent itself, perhaps it's because the product is bad.

Then again, the hyper-patriot in me would never buy one of their albums, even if they were the reincarnation of Bananarama.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #38
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
. . . and the "critics" now take them seriously instead of considering them a trio of cute blonde chicks.
Actually one of them (the cute one IMO) is a brunette. Just so the record is clear, not that I have noticed or anyting like that.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #39
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think it is probably true that the newest record did not do as well, but as I've said I think that at least partly is it because it is not as good as the others.

I have no doubt that they have made less to the extent that they are not making as much as they might have. On the other hand, as has been pointed out, they are actually one of the biggest acts of all time and at the point the controversy began already each had more money than most of us can easily conceive of. Point being that their wealth has been part of what has allowed them to take the stand that they have. I think that if they were just starting out they would have been more careful or stuck with the apology rather than remaining defiant.

In any case, whatever happens, they can each go home at the end of the day and dive into a swimming pool filled with C notes to console themselves if they want.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #40
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
if they were the reincarnation of Bananarama.
Now I'd pay to see that.