cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 AM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That's funny that you would feel a need to link that. Like we don't know the story.
You know, your comment that people don't get exed for thinking was so ludicrous and patently ahistorical you had me wondering.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #32
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why don't you write a review that I can read. You know, for my benefit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You know, your comment that people don't get exed for thinking was so ludicrous and patently ahistorical you had me wondering.
LOL.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:41 AM   #34
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Not sure I agree. I think that question deals with doctrinal issues rather than political ones. Similar to the marriage amendment a while back, opposing (or even campaigning against) Prop 8 would not, in my mind, constitute an automatic violation of that question.

As the question implies, one would have to be involved (or sympathize) with groups and/or precepts that contradict teachings or practices of the church itself. One can certainly cross that line in opposing Prop 8, but it isn't de facto.
Reasonable and well-thought out? I like new Tex.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #35
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Fair point. I don't pretend that Bishops, or any of us, is infallible, by any stretch.

I am specifically discussing a TR interview and this particular Prop 8 issue. I really think that there should be nothing to fear as it pertains to this whole issue. Which is why I already spoke to my Bishop. As I stated before, it barely registered with him. He literally said, "ok," and that was it. It hasn't been discussed again since.

I think it is something I may bring up in my next interview.....it would be interesting to hear who my SP interprets that question. I personally do not feel like I sympathize with apostate groups, but who knows? Is CG an apostate group? Is planned parenthood an apostate group? what if I go to an ERA rally? The Church has spoken out about airline de-regulation back in the 80s or late 70s, I think.....what if I don't agree about airline de-regulation?

My point to T Blue is that I don't like to live my life in fear of asking questions. This whole Prop 8 conundrum is, for me, a huge question. T Blue seems to be suggesting that I would be better served keeping my mouth shut (everyone would be better served if I kept my mouth shut, frankly), but I tend to think that my best spiritual interests may be served by asking for clarification. Not sure what I will do yet, but I have been giving it some thought.

As a complete aside, I think Bishops can be inspired on any topic given the right circumstances...it is up to the individual to ultimately decide whether to heed counsel or whether the counsel feels "right," and sometimes it likely isnt.

Actually I think there is no way you will state it to your bishop the way you have stated it here, how you feel about the Prop 8 amendment.

You will puss out and go all weak sauce about how you feel about it, telling him that you are questioning it, in a way that there would be no possible repurcussions, that's the way I think you will put it to him.

If you came across to him as strong as you do in here, its possible you will see problems.

Blast away, but you know that is the way you would do it.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #36
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bishops based on my experience are pretty sharp people. They are not oblivious to the fact that a good number of their congregation are not comfortable with the effort to marshall the troups.

On the other hand, Bishops are extremely loyal or faithful. In a situation like this I would call it loyal, but have no problem with those who want to classify it as faithful. Therefor they will fully support the effort and even if they personally have misgivings will not let that be known to their flock. Loyalty or faithfulness if you will, far outweighs personally feelings amongst most Bishops, IMHO.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #37
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Bishops based on my experience are pretty sharp people. They are not oblivious to the fact that a good number of their congregation are not comfortable with the effort to marshall the troups.

On the other hand, Bishops are extremely loyal or faithful. In a situation like this I would call it loyal, but have no problem with those who want to classify it as faithful. Therefor they will fully support the effort and even if they personally have misgivings will not let that be known to their flock. Loyalty or faithfulness if you will, far outweighs personally feelings amongst most Bishops, IMHO.
Well put and I think completely accurate.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #38
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Actually I think there is no way you will state it to your bishop the way you have stated it here, how you feel about the Prop 8 amendment.

You will puss out and go all weak sauce about how you feel about it, telling him that you are questioning it, in a way that there would be no possible repurcussions, that's the way I think you will put it to him.

If you came across to him as strong as you do in here, its possible you will see problems.

Blast away, but you know that is the way you would do it.
what else is there to say? I dont support it. Not sure what else I can say to clarify it more. i already told my Bishop. he asked if I was going to be helping out with talk/walk. I said no, because I am against Prop 8 and am not planning on voting for it. He said ok.

I guess i dont get where you are going with this.

When we are in our TR interviews, they are mostly wanting a Y/N response. When they ask about Chastity, they want our overall best answer. Maybe I am missing the boat, but do people go into extensive detail about every impure thought they have had since their prior interview? Do they express sincere repentance and shed tears because they may have not been completely honest in their dealings?

I don't go to my TR interview to argue and debate. I simply go to answer my questions and say hi to the SP. I definitely plan on asking about how my stance towards Prop 8 would affect me in the Church. If you are claiming that I will not get angry and argue with my SP, then you are correct. That isnt part of my plan.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #39
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
what else is there to say? I dont support it. Not sure what else I can say to clarify it more. i already told my Bishop. he asked if I was going to be helping out with talk/walk. I said no, because I am against Prop 8 and am not planning on voting for it. He said ok.

When we are in our TR interviews, they are mostly wanting a Y/N response. When they ask about Chastity, they want our overall best answer. Maybe I am missing the boat, but do people go into extensive detail about every impure thought they have had since their prior interview? Do they express sincere repentance and shed tears because they may have not been completely honest in their dealings?

I don't go to my TR interview to argue and debate. I simply go to answer my questions and say hi to the SP. I definitely plan on asking about how my stance towards Prop 8 would affect me in the Church. If you are claiming that I will not get angry and argue with my SP, then you are correct. That isnt part of my plan.
T Blue is just going where he's usually going:

Because you are not a hand, you do not belong to the body.

And never mind that Paul goes on to write that, "On the contrary, the members of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensible, and those members of the body that we think less honoroable we clothe with greater honor, and our less respectable members are treated with greater respect; whereas our more respectable members do not need this. But God has so arranged the body, giving the greater honor to the inferior member, that there may be no dissension within the body, but the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it." (1Cor. 12:22-26, NRSV)

Wouldn't a deep, thoughtful discussion of this passage be refreshing right about now?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #40
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'm not implying you would get angry and start yelling or anything like that, I'm simply saying that if you were to go into your interview and tell the Stake President how wrong you think the Church is for their stand on this issue, and how you feel there is ZERO ground for the Church to base this stand on, you would get more than a group hug and some little pick you up line.

Now of course you won't do that, even though you have NO PROBLEM doing it in here, see the difference?

Show us that you aren't just a weak sauce pussy, that you are a man of conviction, that you aren't a lemming who just toes the company line, drop that bomb on him and then tell us the response you get.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote