cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 10:40 PM   #31
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisqueyano
Of course we can never take anything at face value. Suspicion and doubt is always the best policy.

Not that you care SU. But this is interesting.
http://farms.byu.edu/pdf.php?filenam...&type=cmV2aWV3
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Of course we can never take anything at face value. Suspicion and doubt is always the best policy.
I thought I was the one taking "Book of Mormon Studies" at face value.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #33
SeattleUte

Quote:
Not that you care SU. But this is interesting.
http://farms.byu.edu/pdf.php?filenam...&type=cmV2aWV3
How ironic, my nemesis, Daniel Peterson, defender of the faith.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 PM   #34
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte
Now that's funny.

I thought you might enjoy it.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #35
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
SU, going mano a mano with the Farms boys shows a lot more determination than I would ever have.

And I have to wonder why you do it. I will share my thoughts and feelings here because there seems to be a core group of people who can talk about stuff respectfully and civily, and some good can come from it, even if that good is ultimately the realization that in spite of our differences of belief, we are essentially fighting the same good fight (with the exception of Waters, who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, and has suggested that I accept his view of my person over my own self-deceived version).

But you won't find any of that over on the FARMS page... or am I wrong?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #36
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Now that's funny.

I thought you might enjoy it.
Creekster, is that you on the chalk bike in your photo?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:03 AM   #37
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Creekster, is that you on the chalk bike in your photo?
No. I found the photo somewhere on the internet. My wife thinks it is ridiculous which I thought made it appropriate for me.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #38
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I sure thought that BH Roberts didn't lose faith, but those who have lost faith, take solace in a GA who "appeared" to have lost faith.

Interesting. Each finds what one wants.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:17 AM   #39
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
SU, going mano a mano with the Farms boys shows a lot more determination than I would ever have.

And I have to wonder why you do it. I will share my thoughts and feelings here because there seems to be a core group of people who can talk about stuff respectfully and civily, and some good can come from it, even if that good is ultimately the realization that in spite of our differences of belief, we are essentially fighting the same good fight (with the exception of Waters, who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, and has suggested that I accept his view of my person over my own self-deceived version).

But you won't find any of that over on the FARMS page... or am I wrong?
You're right. I have not posted over there a great deal; sometimes I'll write something in another context and think that maybe this particular piece might generate some intrest over there. I find the crowd over there too polarized and set in its ways for my taste, both apologists and anti-Mormons (though I will say the antis are fewer in number than what I saw when I was last over there last year this time). It's not that I expect the antis to compromise their positions by any means; I object to their narrow focus on these subjects such as the B of A scrolls that grow old very fast because there's only so much there there. They're mirror images of the people they despise.

I will say, however, that this Apostasy thread of mine over there (still high on the best seller list) has been illuminating to me, because it has helped to confirm certain thoughts I've been refining during the process of working on my novel, thoughts about Christianity and its different permutations and its tortured, though symbiotic relationship with Classical philosophy. Those guys dwell in irrelevant minutia (as far as I'm concerned) and I will concede that in general they know a lot more of the detail than I do about the subject matter. But it's nice to make certain points and see them essentially stand up as the FARMS boys blather about this minutia that amount to red herrings.

Also, Peterson occasionally says some interesting things about ancient history and philosphy in general, and face it, he's the grand duke of Mormon "study and research" on ancient documents, theology and history bearing upon the Church; it's fun to cross swords with such a person very occasionally. One of the glories of the Internet is that it makes such things possible. I mean, he and Dan Vogel go at it over there too. They are like the seep dog and the coyote. It's kind of funny.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-29-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:34 AM   #40
creekster

Quote:
Also, Peterson occasionally says some interesting things about ancient history and philosphy in general, and face it, he's the grand duke of Mormon "study and research" on ancient documents, theology and history bearing upon the Church; it's fun to cross swords with such a person very occasionally. One of the glories of the Internet is that it makes such things possible. I mean, he and Dan Vogel go at it over there too. They are like the seep dog and the coyote. It's kind of funny.
Robin asked WHY you do it. You sort of answered but you should be clearer. As a litigator I think I can say that the nub of it is a chance to cross swords. Sometimes a good argument is simply fun. Even if you don't know what your talking about (referring to me, not you SU). There may be ancillary reasons, but I suspect that chance to have a good ole barrom brawl is the biggest one.