cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I think I should have been more detailed when I wrote before. The discussion might not have become so derailed. Cathy Stokes lived in Chicago as recently as 2 years ago. Does she live in Chicago now? I don't know. Also, she has been involved with projects originating in Salt Lake for quite a while now. She is involved with the Genesis Group and was involved with the Freedman's Bank Records genealogy project. Thus, she it was not unusual for her to be in Salt Lake as part of these projects. There is a good chance that she happened to be in Salt Lake and not flown in specifically for the project (assuming she still lives in Chicago). Also, she has a certainly prominence as a member. For example, she is mentioned in the following Church news article:

http://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/ind...004e94610aRCRD

She also is featured (along with many others) in the book or pamphlet called Why I Believe (http://deseretbook.com/store/product..._id=100035353). Thus she does have some prominence in the church and make sense that she was involved with the Sharpton visit.
The hijacking is my fault ... I suppose I should've made the Lee/Genesis comment in a new thread. Sorry about that.

It's nice to hear black members of the church representing it so well to others. I once heard a black woman member of the church speak very eloquently on the topic at Ricks College way back in the day, and I wonder if it was her. She was very persuasive and it was a fascinating speech.

I've never heard of the Genesis Group before and I'd like to learn more about it.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
"Almost everyone"? I didn't keep a poll, but there was more than a few posters hypothesizing about Lee's racism based on the reported "not while I'm prophet" statement. A few even suggested the shortness of his tenure was a result of this stance.

So don't pretend the statement doesn't reflect a fair amount of sentiment.

True, I could've left out the word "pig" and avoided some of this hyperventilation. It is also true, however, that no matter how rationally and attack-free I make my points, it's met with consistent ridicule (see my sig for just a few mild examples). And the moment I make a small personal retort in return, the thread explodes.

Until I see some similar rhetorical anger directed at your fellow posters, I'll thank you to end the lecture on what a civil place Cougarguard is, sans my comments.
Go back and read my post again. Where did I say it was a civil place? Can you find it? You have no idea what I think about these issues. In fact, I have been very disappointed in the way several persons have dealt with you and others on this site and I have told them so. At the same time, it is hard to urge others to behave more civilly if the target of their ire acts in the way they claim.

Moreover, you avoided the primary point I was trying to make: Why do you approach it this way? To what end? If you just want to stir it up, get a rise out of people, then I suppose you are succeeding. If you want to persuade or convince you are failing spectacularly. This is especially true when you accuse me of these things, as I have never taken the positions you assume. You can be as civil or uncivil as you will, but if you want me or others to take you seriously (and this is equally true of several of your more vocal foils) then you need to approach it as something other than a game or an opportunity to display your high school debate techniques.

Btw, are you making an offer that if I lecture my "fellow posters" (and here I thought that is what you are) you will behave more civilly in the future? If so, I accept.

I iwll also accept responsibility for the hijack. Sorry about that.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #23
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Go back and read my post again. Where did I say it was a civil place? Can you find it? You have no idea what I think about these issues. In fact, I have been very disappointed in the way several persons have dealt with you and others on this site and I have told them so. At the same time, it is hard to urge others to behave more civilly if the target of their ire acts in the way they claim.

Moreover, you avoided the primary point I was trying to make: Why do you approach it this way? To what end? If you just want to stir it up, get a rise out of people, then I suppose you are succeeding. If you want to persuade or convince you are failing spectacularly. This is especially true when you accuse me of these things, as I have never taken the positions you assume. You can be as civil or uncivil as you will, but if you want me or others to take you seriously (and this is equally true of several of your more vocal foils) then you need to approach it as something other than a game or an opportunity to display your high school debate techniques.
I make no apology for my occasional sarcasm although I do try and stem my forked tongue most of the time. I guess it's because I expect so little from the responses. If you think decorating my presentation with flowers and chocolates would've elicited any different response from such posters as Lebowski, Cali, and Arch, you are sadly mistaken. All the same, I will agree I ought to "rise above."

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Btw, are you making an offer that if I lecture my "fellow posters" (and here I thought that is what you are) you will behave more civilly in the future? If so, I accept.

I iwll also accept responsibility for the hijack. Sorry about that.
It was more of a rhetorical statement, given that compared to the statements in my sig, any of my sarcasm is milquetoast. But I do prefer intelligent conversation to flame wars, and am happy to oblige.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #24
creekster

Quote:
I make no apology for my occasional sarcasm although I do try and stem my forked tongue most of the time. I guess it's because I expect so little from the responses. If you think decorating my presentation with flowers and chocolates would've elicited any different response from such posters as Lebowski, Cali, and Arch, you are sadly mistaken. All the same, I will agree I ought to "rise above."

It was more of a rhetorical statement, given that compared to the statements in my sig, any of my sarcasm is milquetoast. But I do prefer intelligent conversation to flame wars, and am happy to oblige.
Forget chocolate and flowers, look at this very example: Is it more persuasive to point out affirmatively that HBLee's involvement, along with BKPacker, in founding the Genesis group belies the claim that he is racist or is it better to engage in sarcasm that calls him a racist pig? Which is more likely to elicit the type of response you purport to dislike? How do they disagree with the affirmative statement, as long as you don't over claim it? You know this, but you are refusing to fully concede it. In any event, less unpleasant sarcasm from everyone would be better, IMO.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #25
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think I should have been more detailed when I wrote before. The discussion might not have become so derailed. Cathy Stokes lived in Chicago as recently as 2 years ago. Does she live in Chicago now? I don't know. Also, she has been involved with projects originating in Salt Lake for quite a while now. She is involved with the Genesis Group and was involved with the Freedman's Bank Records genealogy project. Thus, it was not unusual for her to be in Salt Lake as part of these projects. There is a good chance that she happened to be in Salt Lake and not flown in specifically for the project (assuming she still lives in Chicago). Also, she has a certainly prominence as a member. For example, she is mentioned in the following Church news article:
Guys, also let me add a nice story about her as recounted in Eugene England's Dialogues with Myself:

Quote:
Let me add to that a confirming modern testimony from a woman, Lavina Fielding Anderson in that Presidential Address quoted earlier:

Quote:
I had an experience this summer [at a gathering of Mormon women in Nauvoo] that has made me think about that particular vow of consecration [that Mormons make in the temple] in a new way. Catherine Stokes, a black convert in a Chicago ward, related the experience of going to the temple for the first time. "I took my blackness with me," she said, "and that was part of what I consecrated." She told of the woman who assisted her in the initiatory ordinances, barely able to articulate through her tears, and apologizing at the end because she had not wanted her personal emotions to interfere with Cathy's experience. "But I've never had the privilege of doing this for a black woman before," she explained, "and I'm so grateful." Cathy reassured her, "That's all right. That's one of the things I can do for you that no one else in the temple today could do." As she summed up the experience, she added, "My blackness is one of the things that the Lord can use if he wants to"—and apparently it has been a most successful collaboration.

[p.171] I realized I had always assumed that the Lord wanted only my strengths, my abilities, and my competencies. It had not occurred to me that qualities I considered to be unique idiosyncracies or even weaknesses might be equally useful to him but that I, in wrongful humility, was withholding them from consecration.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #26
creekster

Quote:
Guys, also let me add a nice story about her as recounted in Eugene England's Dialogues with Myself:

Excellent story.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #27
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Forget chocolate and flowers, look at this very example: Is it more persuasive to point out affirmatively that HBLee's involvement, along with BKPacker, in founding the Genesis group belies the claim that he is racist or is it better to engage in sarcasm that calls him a racist pig? Which is more likely to elicit the type of response you purport to dislike? How do they disagree with the affirmative statement, as long as you don't over claim it? You know this, but you are refusing to fully concede it. In any event, less unpleasant sarcasm from everyone would be better, IMO.
I'm not refusing to concede it, I'm indicating it makes little difference. But all the same, I agree with you: less unpleasant sarcasm from everyone (including myself) would be better.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you think decorating my presentation with flowers and chocolates would've elicited any different response from such posters as Lebowski, Cali, and Arch, you are sadly mistaken.
Come on, Tex. That sounds awfully paranoid.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It is mostly about style, and a little about content.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #30
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It is mostly about style, and a little about content.
But as you know, style can dramatically affect the effectivenenss of content. (which is why, with all my typos no one takes me seriously)