cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #21
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Thank you for the lesson. You may have saved me a 50 gallon drum of "ass whoop."

After reading what I wrote, I should probably clarify that don't believe I would ever call up the bishop and report the specific actions of a particular individual. If an individual under my institutional meddling had committed an excommunicable offense and I found about it, I would not tell the bishop. I'm not sure if I would even discuss it with the individual unless they brought it up. Now, if the person told me about it, I would express my support, help and counsel him to go to the bishop. If they refused, I would rely on inspiration and the spirit to guide me at that point, and it may includine telling my EQ president that somebody under my institutional meddling needs help.

Mind you, this is all theory for me. I'm quite lazy in my interactions with fellow ward members. I haven't been home teaching in years, have never held a leadership calling, and I seek to reduce any extra drama in my life.
Don't take my post personally. If the truth be told, I only posted what I did because I wanted an excuse to use that "50 gallon drum of ass whoop" line.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Don't take my post personally. If the truth be told, I only posted what I did because I wanted an excuse to use that "50 gallon drum of ass whoop" line.
I did. You should be expecting a call from your bishop shortly.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Do you weigh as much as a duck?
Ducks float. You know what else floats? Very small rocks.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #24
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been in this situation twice now. Both times I learned that somebody I knew very well was having affairs. In one of the instances, I learned it from one of the participants. In the other, through an ex-lover of the accused. In neither case did I feel responsible to report what I'd learned to a bishop.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #25
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Anyone care to share the context of the original post for those non-cbers among us?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

here it is.
Quote:
is there a duty to report re: excommunicable offen

Author: MikeWaters
Date: Apr 25, 2007 - 10:31am
Category: Religious discussion
Viewed 131 times

offenses.

For example, your wife has sex with another man. She feels terrible and confesses to you. But she says she does not want to tell the Bishop.

Do you say anything to the Bishop?

What if you have good reason to believe that a member of your ward has committed an ex'able sin. And he has a responsible position in the ward. Do you tell the Bishop?

What if you have a brother who is a RM, but is inactive and has had a live-in girlfriend for a number of years. He says he doesn't have a testimony. Do you have a duty to report him to the local authorities where he lives?

Or should we just "live and let live"?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops, I guess I've never been in that situation then (hadn't read the cougarboard post just inferred). Neither of the two people I know about had positions of leadership.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:23 AM   #28
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If someone else's safety is at risk, the proper thing to do is to help that person out. I don't know if it's a moral duty or a civil duty, but if you're any kind of a stand-up human being, you're going to want to help another person out.

But when it comes to reporting sin, that's an entirely different matter. ANOTHER PERSON'S SIN IS NONE OF YOUR FREAKING BUSINESS!!!! I don't care how much stewardship (isn't stewardship just a euphemism for institutional meddling?) you pretend to have, it is never any of your business. If my home preacher -- bless his soul -- ever discussed my sins with anyone else, I'd probably get a 50 gallon drum of "ass whoop" and pour it all over the sorry SOB. You might think it's your religious duty, but it's not. You might think you have stewardship, but you don't. You have no obligation or duty than any other neighbor would have. Just because you wear a tie and attend priesthood meeting does mean you're some kind of spiritual deputy. Get your damn nose out of your neighbors' damn business!!

Sorry for the rant. Thus endeth the lesson.
I like your style. By the way, if you ever want to piss off an overzealous "leader", use the words "perceived stewardship". It's not really an insult, but due to their state of mind they take it as an insult. Just be prepard for the "I have stewardship over you whether you like/accept it or not. Of course, it's usually not necessary because most leaders are actually pretty cool.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #29
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I couldn't even barbeque without the neighbors assuming I was performing some sort of animal sacrifice.
Well, were you?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #30
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Imagine if your wife came to you and said she was having an affair and she wanted to make it right with you and you told the bishop on her. If the affair didn't end the marriage then I believe telling on her would.

Which brings up an interesting question, would you divorce your spouse because of an affair. Myself I think if she didn't have any feelings for the guy I would try and work it out.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote