cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Welcome to the "intellectual" club, Lebowski. My guess is that if you knew that all you had to do to gain entrance was say something Rocky disgarees with you would have joined sooner.
I am baffled. I thought I was part of that infamous crowd a long time ago. (According to the "board conscience", that is)

In any case, it's good to see that Rocky has Indy's back.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-23-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #22
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am baffled. I thought I was part of that infamous crowd a long time ago. (According the "board conscience", that is)

In any case, it's good to see that Rocky has Indy's back.
Yes. A very odd paring. Who would have suspected that those two would align with one another?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Arch's question was more interesting than the psychoanalysis of Indy. Here's my ranking in order of best to worst.

Bishopric--usually a good talk. doctrinally sound and inspiring and personal.
new members--usually good to hear from new people. I'll take it as new move ins not new converts, which are rare in my area
Stake President--current one is dry, impersonal, and heavy handed. Past one was very good.
departing missionaries--I usually have a personal connection with the, and it's great to hear their testimony
returning missionaries--the good ones are great, but many of them are cocky
youth--always good to hear from the youth unless they are reading their talk and they pass the 3 minute mark
Cut and paste from Ensign speaker--usually not bad if they add their personal views and testimony
Ward wannabe scholar--usually has comedic value
Ward scholar--usually boring and trying to convince others how smart they are--bad combo
High Council--heavy handed and boring--worst combo
unranked: golden oldies: wards i've lived in have always grown so fast or changed so fast there are never golden oldies

P.S. Arch: I disagree with your evaluation of intellect and level of deep thinking nearly all the time. You are impressed by window dressing, cheap references to literature and philosophy, and vocabulary. You don't give enough credit to actual content of an idea.
Thanks for the always drive-by hit piece, Jay. You had a nice post going until that comment. You probably have no idea what I value despite my thousands of posts. The reason, depending on the season, what I value as "deep", (profound?), varies upon the seasons and my needs. Thus, if you ascribe me finding any one concrete aspect as profound, then you truly have not understood my postings. Profundity is dynamic, not static, so neither are my estimations.

Example, a child of twelve or thirteen, who suddenly realizes through the death of a close friend, that life is temporary, but bears testimony of the value of life has given me something profound.

Yet, trite recitations by members of scriptures read thousands of times, without additions to new meaning or new insight are not profound, just tired and lazy.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Yes. A very odd paring. Who would have suspected that those two would align with one another?
Case in point of someone who doesn't think their own shit stinks.

You must be an incredible contortionist that coincides with your head in the position of getting that constant down wind.

Then again,,,if the head fits....
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We're aligned together? Hardly. Rocky and I have butted heads repeatedly and sometimes nastily in the past.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #26
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
As long as Lebowski is basking in the glow of irony, add to the fact you guys can't take what you shovel.

That's the greatest irony of the "intellectuals" on Cougarguard.
As far as "alternative voice" gate goes I have to side with Rocky on this one. I thought SIEQ was out of line, and Indy hasn't done much in the thread Archaea posted here to merit the piling on. We all like to dish it out, but some of us around here need to learn to take it a little better.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #27
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
We're aligned together? Hardly. Rocky and I have butted heads repeatedly and sometimes nastily in the past.
What is this fascination you have with butts and heads?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
As far as "alternative voice" gate goes I have to side with Rocky on this one. I thought SIEQ was out of line, and Indy hasn't done much in the thread Archaea posted here to merit the piling on. We all like to dish it out, but some of us around here need to learn to take it a little better.
True.

Indy: I apologize for my caustic remarks of late. Peace, brother.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #29
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

You know I was just about to post a thread about how everyone was getting along so nicely today. I think it had been several days since we had a deevolution into namecalling. My internal argument ad hominem attack clock must have been going off. I am a finely tuned empath, obviously.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 PM   #30
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
You know I was just about to post a thread about how everyone was getting along so nicely today. I think it had been several days since we had a deevolution into namecalling. My internal argument ad hominem attack clock must have been going off. I am a finely tuned empath, obviously.
Screw you and your internal clock.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 04-23-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote