cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
how can you compare an ill-defined movement in mainstream Christianity to something like Mormonism?

We can't even define what an evangelical is.

Recent statistics show that The Assemblies of God grew at the fastest rate. Mormons were second. Roman Catholics are third, but Mormons percent increase was twice as large.

Oh, and there are double the number of Mormons as their are members of the The Assemblies of God.

There will soon be more Mormons than Methodists in the US, and there have long been more Mormons than Presbyterians.

I know this stuff just kills you.

But I'd like to thank you for keeping your name on the rolls. And sticking around in the Mormon conversation and otherwise associating with Mormons.
One thing I like about this place is that I can't think of another place where I can so often and clearly operate in a zone where the truth is on my side. Modern society is all ambiuity and complexity. Here I find a place where the lines are clearly drawn and I can move easily and comfortably into a personal haven of clear and concrete truth.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
One thing I like about this place is that I can't think of another place where I can so often and clearly operate in a zone where the truth is on my side. Modern society is all ambiuity and complexity. Here I find a place where the lines are clearly drawn and I can move easily and comfortably into a personal haven of clear and concrete truth.
Right, like your claim that all religion in the not-too-distant future will be dead.

LOL.

You are the best comedy on the board. I wouldn't trade you for anyone.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #23
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Right, like your claim that all religion in the not-too-distant future will be dead.

LOL.

You are the best comedy on the board. I wouldn't trade you for anyone.

I've never said that.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've never said that.
I have the ability to know exactly what posters meant to say, even if they did not say it in so many words.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Clearly Indy doesn't have the slightest idea what grace means in traditional Christian theology.
I just wanted to make sure this thread enjoyed a long life.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
In other words you're not open minded whatsoever, an arrogant ass, and are here for your own personal trolling enjoyment.

Got it.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #27
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
The number of commited evangelicals who think "you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want" is comparatively few. That claim is a canard that doesn't hold up very well in reality. Your basic, committed evangelical feels a strong responsibility to study the bible, show love for neighbors, and generally follow the example of Jesus. These activities are seen as evidence of sincere devotion to Christ. They sound good to me.
Yeah. There are many evangelicals who believe in the preservation of the saints through grace alone. I suppose you would expect to see people doing whatever the hell they want under this guise, but it doesn't usually work that way. Guilt (they like to call it "conviction of the Sprit") is a tremendous incentive toward unrequired works.

As far as the selling points of Evangelical churces go, of course in Protestant churches, you don't have to give 10% (or any percent) unless you feel like it. I suppose this would be appealing to some.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #28
SeattleUte

Mike, Can Rocky and Indy have the same avatar? It fits both.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-31-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #29
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
That's an obvious and easy answer.

Deathbed repentance vs. No Death Bed repentance.....in other words....do whatever the you want, works be damned, you'll still be saved by His Grace...that's the fundamental difference.

In the Mormon faith you have to work at it and are held accountable for your actions if you sin seriously. In a lot of other faiths it's...."Hey it's okay you just screwed 5 people this year, you're still saved". No works. That's the difference from most of them.

Now I'm sure this is where you come in with some lame "witty" remark telling me how stupid I am, others who think this way, and the church is..........carry on.

I'll take SU's job on this one but without the lame, witty remark. I'll just tell you straight up how stupid you are--extremely.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:19 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

First, let's assume it's true that the growth in the Evangelical church(es) currently outpaces the LDS church (which certainly wouldn't be the case in my branch which has had 110 converts in the last 24 months).

My explanation for that would simply be that it's easier for someone to commit to a church that doesn't demand as much sacrifice of its members as the LDS Church does. You can slice that "required sacrifice" any number of ways and I think that statement still holds.

I'm not sure which, if any, Evangelical churches would refuse the baptism of potential converts because they currently have legal, moral or Word of Wisdom issues.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote