cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 11:00 PM   #21
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The death penalty is just wrong; it's bad. The gruesome spectacle of Hussein's hanging should be enough to show any of us that a state can't engage in this without dirtying and debasing itsef.
I could be way off on this, but I have a hazy memory of somebody posting a few years back that he and his wife worked on a DP case? Was that you? If so, did that help you reach this conclusion?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:04 PM   #22
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

All American-- Nice post. It immediately reminded me of the South Park episode where Saddam was sent to Heaven to live with the Mormon's as an eternal punishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probably_%28South_Park%29
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #23
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I gotta agree with Seattle, that the death penalty is a heinous and archaic remnant of Mosaic law...

...but AllAmerican's post was more fun.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 AM   #24
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I could be way off on this, but I have a hazy memory of somebody posting a few years back that he and his wife worked on a DP case? Was that you? If so, did that help you reach this conclusion?
Yes, it's our pro bono case. He's still alive. It's a long process. Each day is a victory in a sense, as long as he's on death row at Angola.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:15 AM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Yeah, I gotta agree with Seattle, that the death penalty is a heinous and archaic remnant of Mosaic law...

...but AllAmerican's post was more fun.
How can one support self defense, military in any degree and be against the concpet, not necessarily the application thereof?

To me, it is an example of moral courage.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:18 PM   #26
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
How can one support self defense, military in any degree and be against the concpet, not necessarily the application thereof?

To me, it is an example of moral courage.

Wow, Arch, I think there's a question in there, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what's morally courageous about sentencing a man to die.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #27
Archaea

Quote:
Wow, Arch, I think there's a question in there, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure what's morally courageous about sentencing a man to die.
Being principled means being responsible for tough decisions and not to hide behind others.

We are willing to allow others to die for us, we are willing to allow police to kill, but when we recognize doing something to protect society, using the ultimate penalty, some wimp out. It's also inconsistent.

How can one support other forms of lethal self-defense and not support society's rights against single individuals? It seems weak-hearted and inconsistent.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #28
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8w_-9M5_SA

for those of you that want to see the hanging in its entirety. Click here, it is a cell phone video of it. Trust me when i say his neck breaks.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #29
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
We are willing to allow others to die for us, we are willing to allow police to kill, but when we recognize doing something to protect society, using the ultimate penalty, some wimp out. It's also inconsistent.
Mr. Archaea

I aim for consistency in my ideological belief system.

This is, of course, not entirely possible, as our society is neither a simple nor a binary one.

Insofar as it relates to this discussion, the attempt at consistency means that I oppose premeditated death in nearly every form:

I oppose the death penalty; I oppose abortion; I oppose sending American soldiers to kill and be killed.

Are there exceptions to these tenets? Probably. Are there any easy solutions to the societal ills that these three issues are intended to address? I doubt it.

And "inconsistent"?
Capital punishment itself is inconsistent: We put some to death, but not others. Some are too old, or too young, or too incompetent, or not quite violent enough. Some just hire the right attorney.

As far as those accused of capital crimes, I vote we send them all to Pelican Bay. Seems like a worse punishment anyway.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #30
Archaea

Quote:
Mr. Archaea

I aim for consistency in my ideological belief system.

This is, of course, not entirely possible, as our society is neither a simple nor a binary one.

Insofar as it relates to this discussion, the attempt at consistency means that I oppose premeditated death in nearly every form:

I oppose the death penalty; I oppose abortion; I oppose sending American soldiers to kill and be killed.

Are there exceptions to these tenets? Probably. Are there any easy solutions to the societal ills that these three issues are intended to address? I doubt it.

And "inconsistent"?
Capital punishment itself is inconsistent: We put some to death, but not others. Some are too old, or too young, or too incompetent, or not quite violent enough. Some just hire the right attorney.

As far as those accused of capital crimes, I vote we send them all to Pelican Bay. Seems like a worse punishment anyway.
Do you believe we should not have a military? Do you believe the military should not shoot to kill?

Do you believe police should not be allowed to use lethal force?

If believe government authorized lethal force is ever allowed, how can you be categorically opposed to the death penalty in our criminal justice system?

That is the inconsistency.

I understand objections to uneven application. I will not argue with a straight face that such inequities don't exist. They do. However, it is part of nature that some die and some live. It is part of the universe's order.

Society is built upon rules where ultimate decisions are there.