cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #21
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Put it this way. It's not that we think BYU will win a national championship. What we don't like is that it is IMPOSSIBLE for BYU to win a national championship. We can't even entertain the idea.

We care barely even entertain the idea of BCS bid during an undefeated season at this point, as an independent.

It's going to be the armed forces bowl if we are 6-6 or 11-1 or even 12-0.
It's not impossible. That's where scheduling comes in. I'd argue our chances are better as an Indy than in the MWC (see: Boise), and one could make a reasonable argument that our chances are better as an Indy than in the Big 12. Any idea how many current Big 12 teams have an NC, by the way? Ditto BCS games.

Bowl affiliations don't change over night. If you're still right 5 years from now, maybe I'll change my position on that.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, think about it. Which schools are really successful? The ones where fans demand success. Passionate fans, who pour money into the program, who demand success.

Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and so forth. Do you think their fans are happy with 7-6?

Texas' coach is on the hot seat, and he is not too far removed from a national championship! Same with Les Miles at LSU. For heaven's sake, he had to dump Gary Crowton because of the pressure!

Hell yes, Bronco should be under pressure. Hell yes, we should be pissed when the team underperforms and Bronco tells the media about how he goes home at 5pm, and football is not a top priority, and how he can't see himself as a longterm coach.

We can't expect consistent excellence with guys that are paid 7 figures? No one needs to cry for Bronco Mendenhall.

I know exactly what we have with Bronco. He is not an elite x's and o's coach. He will be out-gameplanned. He's not that bright, and he's certainly not that flexible. But he does instill discipline and he is very steady and consistent in approach and demeanor. We can live with that, mainly because it's not apparent that there is anyone better out there.

BYU fans ought to be howling with rage right now and directing all kinds of firebombs (not literal) towards the AD and President.

It just so happens that I don't care as much as I used to, and I expect a certain level of mediocrity and incompetence from all parts of BYU. Where ability and advancement are not entrained.

Remember, I'm the guy that doesn't want to pay $30 to park at Cowboys Stadium.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #23
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's going to be the armed forces bowl if we are 6-6 or 11-1 or even 12-0.
This is the nail on the head. Lose out this season, finish 6-6, and BYU is in the AFB. Win out, finish 10-2, and BYU is in the AFB. The very fact that BYU's admin signed that exclusive contract is a sign that they're just not interested in being a part of the direction that college football is headed.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Also, think about it. Which schools are really successful? The ones where fans demand success. Passionate fans, who pour money into the program, who demand success.

Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, and so forth. Do you think their fans are happy with 7-6?

Texas' coach is on the hot seat, and he is not too far removed from a national championship! Same with Les Miles at LSU. For heaven's sake, he had to dump Gary Crowton because of the pressure!

Hell yes, Bronco should be under pressure. Hell yes, we should be pissed when the team underperforms and Bronco tells the media about how he goes home at 5pm, and football is not a top priority, and how he can't see himself as a longterm coach.

We can't expect consistent excellence with guys that are paid 7 figures? No one needs to cry for Bronco Mendenhall.

I know exactly what we have with Bronco. He is not an elite x's and o's coach. He will be out-gameplanned. He's not that bright, and he's certainly not that flexible. But he does instill discipline and he is very steady and consistent in approach and demeanor. We can live with that, mainly because it's not apparent that there is anyone better out there.

BYU fans ought to be howling with rage right now and directing all kinds of firebombs (not literal) towards the AD and President.

It just so happens that I don't care as much as I used to, and I expect a certain level of mediocrity and incompetence from all parts of BYU. Where ability and advancement are not entrained.

BYU's fanbase is milder than most because the cultural respect for authority. In the fan message culture, you see a lot of fans defending the administration no matter and not desiring an explanation. Tex right here exhibited the typical acceptance of authority response.

This yielding to authority is likely to keep BYU from making the final step toward athletic excellence.

Passion creates a two-edged sword. One that drives fans to contribute and one that makes them crazy when goals are not achieved.

BYU has let its fanbase down by not reaching a BCS bowl and by not being in a BCS conference.

I agree that Bronco is a good, but not excellent coach. I also agree we may not have a better alternative right now.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #25
Tex

*Insert comment about self-loathing Mormons here.*

If the BYU administration were as apathetic and incompetent as Waters and Arch suggest, and as disinterested in the "direction CFB is headed" per ute4ever (how's the PAC working out for you bro?), they wouldn't have tried the MWC experiment, have gone independent, or even entertained the Big 12 as a possibility in the first place.

Cougar nation is fortunate that the larger, silent majority is not filled with fans like this, and more so to have an admin with a reasonably thick enough skin to still want to improve our athletic fortunes in the face of such pantywaists.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
*Insert comment about self-loathing Mormons here.*

If the BYU administration were as apathetic and incompetent as Waters and Arch suggest, and as disinterested in the "direction CFB is headed" per ute4ever (how's the PAC working out for you bro?), they wouldn't have tried the MWC experiment, have gone independent, or even entertained the Big 12 as a possibility in the first place.

Cougar nation is fortunate that the larger, silent majority is not filled with fans like this, and more so to have an admin with a reasonably thick enough skin to still want to improve our athletic fortunes in the face of such pantywaists.
Tex, administration makes some efforts, it's just not very good about it.

The standard for being good is successfully achieving consistent BCS access on equal with current AQ conference schools. That standard has not been met.

Once that standard is achieved then consistently ranking in the top fifteen and participating and prevailing in a BCS game every six to seven years is the next standard.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #27
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If the BYU administration were as apathetic and incompetent as Waters and Arch suggest, they wouldn't have tried the MWC experiment, have gone independent, or even entertained the Big 12 as a possibility in the first place.
You're saying that in 1998, BYU knew what the landscape would look like in 2012, and spent the past thirteen years acting accordingly? And there's no reason why today, they would meet with Big XII execs, meet with Big East execs, and walk away feeling shortchanged and disinterested?

Quote:
(how's the PAC working out for you bro?)
Too soon to tell. But come 2013, TV revenues and athletic apparel revenue-sharing will rake in some $30 million per year, plus by then the U will have a better idea of recruiting advantages.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #28
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Tex, administration makes some efforts, it's just not very good about it.

The standard for being good is successfully achieving consistent BCS access on equal with current AQ conference schools. That standard has not been met.

Once that standard is achieved then consistently ranking in the top fifteen and participating and prevailing in a BCS game every six to seven years is the next standard.
I maintain that the obnoxious vocal minority of BYU fans has unrealistic expectations, and you do nothing to dispel that.

Of course, there's no problem wanting it. The problem is the nastiness that comes out when you don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
You're saying that in 1998, BYU knew what the landscape would look like in 2012, and spent the past thirteen years acting accordingly? And there's no reason why today, they would meet with Big XII execs, meet with Big East execs, and walk away feeling shortchanged and disinterested?
You're thinking too narrow. I'm saying BYU has consistently made decisions trying to put a better product on the field in front of a wider audience. I.e., they know what the fanbase wants and they are already trying to provide it. Saying they don't care is just plain retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Too soon to tell. But come 2013, TV revenues and athletic apparel revenue-sharing will rake in some $30 million per year, plus by then the U will have a better idea of recruiting advantages.
I'm sure "Come play for Utah, where you can lose to USC every year!" will be stunningly effective for recruiting. But hey, at least for $30m you might be able to purchase an FBS-level quarterback.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #29
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

ND has been demanding excellence for a decade and a half.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
ND has been demanding excellence for a decade and a half.
goes to show that even if you have money, you need to make the right decisions, the right hires. Look at A&M as well.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote