cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
They're ranked in the Top Ten in total defense.

That means the D is highly rated.

Duh.
Oh. If we are just talking about a statistic then there is no possible way to "overrate" them right? Its just an objective measure. I thought we were talking about how there were subjectively perceived. I guess we've all been talking about nothing here. Sheesh.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Oh. If we are just talking about a statistic then there is no possible way to "overrate" them right? Its just an objective measure. I thought we were talking about how there were subjectively perceived. I guess we've all been talking about nothing here. Sheesh.
Well if the opinion fits....
Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #23
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoylenOver View Post
Interesting stat from the link above: UW is second to last in D rating out of the entire FBS.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #24
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Interesting stat from the link above: UW is second to last in D rating out of the entire FBS.
Ha. They still don't have a sack. In fact, in reading their team profile, statically they are one of the worst teams in the country.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/r...r=2008&org=756

I feel bad for Willingham. I had hoped he do well at UW, just to spite the Domers. But he's gone.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #25
yankeecoug

yankeecoug is on a distinguished road

Not much of a difference what Weber did to Utah compared to what N Iowa did to BYU...though the difference is it was BYU's first game compared to Utah's 5th game.
yankeecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #26
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecoug View Post
Not much of a difference what Weber did to Utah compared to what N Iowa did to BYU...though the difference is it was BYU's first game compared to Utah's 5th game.
Except for the points the O's scored against...although in fairness, BYU didn't play it's 2nd or 3rd string D in the 4th.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #27
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm not saying they are or aren't yet.

Here's something interesting:

BYU Defense PPG: 11

Utah Defense PPG: 19.6

Why?

Is it because Utah has turned the ball over in their own territory giving offenses short fields to work with?

Does it have to do with scheduling thus far and BYU playing more offensive patsies than Utah has to this point?

I acknowledge that overall Utah has better athletes on that side of the ball than we do, but it's a little curious all the praise their defense is getting. They look absolutely dominant at times, so it's a head scratcher they've given up over a TD more ppg game than BYU has.

So what's the answer? Does it lie somewhere in between?

I'll say this much: Last year BYU moved the ball on them rather well, but bogged down in the blue zone and had to kick 3 field goals. That won't happen this year. This BYU offense is an efficient machine. If Utah turns the ball over and the trend of giving other offenses short fields to work with continues, the rivalry game will be a dud and over rather quickly.

Utah's Pass Efficiency Defense is currently at 118.5. The average Pass Efficiency Offense of the teams they've played (not counting the D1AA teams) is 117.67.

BYU's PE Def is currently at 104.9. Their Opponent's PE O? A feeble 94.8.

I suspect having faced the same opponents, their PED's would be similar.

Utah's Run D has been absolutely stellar. There's no question their Run D has performed far better than BYU's has thus far. Interestingly, I think it was generally believed that BYU's Run D would be very good, and Utah's was questionable. I still question how well they can handle a very good power back that likes to run between the tackles. Certainly, the best a team has done against them is the UNLV Rebels with Frank Summers. He averaged 3.8 YPC in that game (He rushed for 4.6YPC 1st half, and only 1YPC on 5 carries in catch-up ball in the 2nd).

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #28
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Prior to the USC game they'd looked terrible all year....getting waxed by Penn State in Beaver Stadium (pun intended) before the USC game and getting out physicaled by Stanford on the road as well.
Funny. Can I use your pun on CB to see if they'll ban me?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote