cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 AM   #21
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Had to save Fannie and Freddie.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I take it you are against all these federal interventions in saving these companies. As well as against federal backing of any mortgage.
no need to save a private AIG.

As I mentioned in a previous post, watch GM come a knockin for some loans to help them convert to Ohbama's new technology.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 AM   #22
exUte

Default Two top Ohbama advisors are former Lehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Of course you have to have some regulation, even Mitt Romney says that. We have regulation on the Presidency, he can only run for two terms. Please tell me you aren't against that. We ought to have it for all politicians.

The problem with regulation is not the regulation, but those who enforce it. Regulators get in bed with politicians and the big and influential money on Wall St.

I started 25 years ago with a big Wall St. brokerage firm. The solid lesson I learned working form them was my first duty to my clients is to protect them from the firm I worked for.

By the way for all you libs who might be cheering my words, you will find if you look closely enough a large number of those fat cats back there ripping people off on Wall St. are democrats.
and Fannie Mae top executives. And I believe, the last I checked, Wall Street has donated more to Ohbama than McCain by a 3:1 margin. Geez, I wonder who's in bed with who.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 AM   #23
exUte

Default Wonder how cougjunkie is doing these

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You would like the game to be a little fairer though. You are now seeing those who took advantage of the game getting hammered. Trust me there are some fat cats losing fortunes right now and I cheer.
days. He was helping those who's income didn't justify the cost of their homes, get a mortgage. I'm sure he and others like him made out just fine.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:06 AM   #24
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

exUte, out of curiosity, is it harder to come to terms with the fact that everyone regards you as an unmitigated asshole, or with the fact that they excuse you for it because of your infinitesimal intelligence?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of the populism. Last night Palin was giving a pretty good town hall speech on energy, until she started referring to the oil companies' civic duty to produce oil because "people are hurting."

Memo to all politicians, R and D: COMPANIES EXIST TO MAKE PROFIT. That's it. It's not hard.

Every time I hear McCain talk about punishing the "greed on Wall Street" I just cringe.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Yeah, I'm really not a fan of the populism. Last night Palin was giving a pretty good town hall speech on energy, until she started referring to the oil companies' civic duty to produce oil because "people are hurting."

Memo to all politicians, R and D: COMPANIES EXIST TO MAKE PROFIT. That's it. It's not hard.

Every time I hear McCain talk about punishing the "greed on Wall Street" I just cringe.
You gotta sell something.

Jeez public, you should cheer Big Oil making huge profits while you file bankruptcy.

Do you really want Reps to stand solely for large industry alone? Large industry is no better to economies than government, and monopolies and cartels do not treat markets any more fairly than centralized economies.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You gotta sell something.

Jeez public, you should cheer Big Oil making huge profits while you file bankruptcy.

Do you really want Reps to stand solely for large industry alone? Large industry is no better to economies than government, and monopolies and cartels do not treat markets any more fairly than centralized economies.
Did I say this? I want politicians to understand that businesses get started, thrive, and expand on profits. That's the reason 96.281% (yes, that's a scientific number) of people start businesses. Very few go out and mortgage their homes and incur huge debts (and often fail) because they wanted to do their "civic duty."

Plus, businesses are where my investment money is. Businesses are what pay my salary. We ought to have an extremely business-friendly economic system, because that's what drives our prosperity. When business, big and small, is thriving, so thrives America, in all "classes."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Did I say this? I want politicians to understand that businesses get started, thrive, and expand on profits. That's the reason 96.281% (yes, that's a scientific number) of people start businesses. Very few go out and mortgage their homes and incur huge debts (and often fail) because they wanted to do their "civic duty."

Plus, businesses are where my investment money is. Businesses are what pay my salary. We ought to have an extremely business-friendly economic system, because that's what drives our prosperity. When business, big and small, is thriving, so thrives America, in all "classes."
As if they don't understand that.

The point is most small businesses which statistically are still the backbone of our economy. They are what drive our economy. The larger businesses tend to abuse us because they have market power.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
essentially the govt. wants to regulate the private market so that there is less lying and cheating.

Company X says there product is worth $1 million. It's really worth $100,000. Company Y buys the product. Company Y sells to Company Z. And so forth. In Tex's world, the lies are ok, and should not be regulated.
even Libertarians think the government should try to stop fraud. Nationalizing an insurance company is hardly the same thing though.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
even Libertarians think the government should try to stop fraud. Nationalizing an insurance company is hardly the same thing though.
I'm very skeptical of this buyout.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote