cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You have to decide which is nicer:

1. Giving a man a fish

2. Teaching him how to fish for himself so you don't have to provide him fish any longer and so he won't be held hostage by your continued providence
Build a man a fire and he is warm for one night. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I guess we all have experiences that shape our feelings. After my divorce and collapse of my business I got heavy into reading self help and positive attitude books. A few years later while still in a positive attitude mode, I gave a guy, age about 30, on the street 5 bucks. I told him to wait and I would come back with something worth more than the $5. I went up and brought back the book, Think and Grow Rich. He handed it back to me and told me to F-off. I haven't given a dime to someone on the street since.
That seems like a pretty intelligent stance to take on the issue. A guy on the street who likely needs to eat in the next 24 hours or so....so you give him a book and wonder why he tells you to F-off.

Any other segments of society you have completely alienated based off dealings with one member?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #23
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
That seems like a pretty intelligent stance to take on the issue. A guy on the street who likely needs to eat in the next 24 hours or so....so you give him a book and wonder why he tells you to F-off.

Any other segments of society you have completely alienated based off dealings with one member?
This was back in the early 80's. If your intent had been to understand what I was conveying instead of lawyering up and trying to debate, you would have noticed I first gave him $5. Back then $5 would have bought you a damn good lunch. I guess you would have preferred I just give him $100 and say have a nice week of eating. I am sure he would have spent the money all week on that, maybe not.

By the way your guess that he needed to eat over the next 24 hours is as big a supposition as a guess that he was just some lazy guy trying to make money the easy way.

Of course, I took the high road and gave him the $5 even if I suspected he was just scamming folks.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Who doesn't need to eat in the next 24 hours or so?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
This was back in the early 80's. If your intent had been to understand what I was conveying instead of lawyering up and trying to debate, you would have noticed I first gave him $5. Back then $5 would have bought you a damn good lunch. I guess you would have preferred I just give him $100 and say have a nice week of eating. I am sure he would have spent the money all week on that, maybe not.

By the way your guess that he needed to eat over the next 24 hours is as big a supposition as a guess that he was just some lazy guy trying to make money the easy way.

Of course, I took the high road and gave him the $5 even if I suspected he was just scamming folks.
I think it is great that you gave him $5. I think it is odd that you were taken aback by his lack of enthusiasm for the self-help book. Have you ever known any beggar to want a book in lieu of cash? He probably thought you were patronizing him.......just like you thought he was scamming people.

I guess it is of no concern anymore since you no longer give to people on the street...all because this one guy 30 years ago didnt want to read your free book.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Who doesn't need to eat in the next 24 hours or so?
Most likely do, which only reinforces my point. Why give a beggar a book? Odds are that even pretend beggars will eventually use some money to buy a meal.

If some guy goes through the trouble of getting dirty and smelly all in an effort to be a fake beggar for the day, I think he has earned the buck or two.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #27
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think it is great that you gave him $5. I think it is odd that you were taken aback by his lack of enthusiasm for the self-help book. Have you ever known any beggar to want a book in lieu of cash? He probably thought you were patronizing him.......just like you thought he was scamming people.

I guess it is of no concern anymore since you no longer give to people on the street...all because this one guy 30 years ago didnt want to read your free book.
I indicated at the time I was kind of high on the self help stuff. You know like the Og Mandino story where he was about to take his life and read a book and it turned his life around. These kind of books had helped me get through some really tough times too.

I am sorry. I had this vision of the guy getting the book, reading it, turning his life around and finding me and telling me how I had changed his life with the gesture. Silly me. I was going through the liberal, pie in the sky, phase in my life.

I am now in the conservative, I will pay taxes and give to charity and let them figure out who needs it and who doesn't part of my life and I am not looking for anyone to come and thank me for changing their lives around.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I never give panhandlers money. I can think of only two times that they were grateful that I would buy them something to eat. I've offered to buy a meal for many, but they want the cash. Odds are that it's for booze and I won't do that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there's a panhandler near where I live who dresses up in pants, white shirt and tie. He has a bucket with some indecipherable cause taped on it.

I'm pretty sure he is a fraud. He looks dumb as hell.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #30
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
One thing that has always fascinated me is the tendency of people that want certain social benefits (e.g. eduction, healthcare, housing, etc.) to want them on a federal, or sometimes even a global, level. Why not do things on a smaller level and let those that are interested in those social benefits move and those that aren't can leave? I've never understood this need to do everything on a national level.
Because, ultimately they want to control you and your choices. Statism, the opposite of individualism.