cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2008, 04:39 PM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I think I'll agree that Obama has a slight edge (it IS close, however).

Question for you, though. Why in the world did the Democrats come up with this "superdelegate" system if everyone thinks they should just go with the popular vote? I actually think Hillary has a point in her argument that the point of the superdelegates is to make an intelligent decision regarding the nominee. The superdelegates are in a position where they can ignore delegate counts from places like Utah (which the Dems will never win anyway) and look at the delegates from the battleground states. They also can consider the fact that Obama is still a relative unknown--all the dirt is already out on Hillary. Which is why it's close--Obama has NOT yet been under the microscope as Hillary has.
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...67&postcount=2
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #22
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
*shrug* Perhaps. I'd wager I know as much about the economy as Obama does.
That wager would be a quick way for you to lose money, and thereby belies any economic knowledge you think you may have.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Obama could beat McCain. Clinton can't. There is no way she could because she is such a polarizing individual.

Of course, should Clinton not get the nomination that she thinks she is owed, (sorry, I don't think that is an attack but an honest opinion based on her actions) I believe her supporters are spiteful enough to vote for McCain.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #24
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Obama could beat McCain. Clinton can't. There is no way she could because she is such a polarizing individual.

Of course, should Clinton not get the nomination that she thinks she is owed, (sorry, I don't think that is an attack but an honest opinion based on her actions) I believe her supporters are spiteful enough to vote for McCain.
Yeah, I don't think Clinton can beat McCain due to the dynamics of the Dem race. Short of Obama being translated and taken to heaven on a charriot of fire (becasue he is just too damn perfect for this world), I cannot think of a scenario where Hillary gets the nomination without fully alienating Obama supporters (enough of whom would then sit out the general election to ensure a McCain victory).

If Obama is able to put Clinton away early enough, I think that gives Dems time to coalesce around Obama. The longer this drags on the less time for Dems to regroup. What is up with Obama? Too much of a girly boy to get the job done.

While I fully expect Obama to get the nomination, the bloom is off that rose. I think last night was evidence of that. He looks increasingly vulnerable.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #25
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That wager would be a quick way for you to lose money, and thereby belies any economic knowledge you think you may have.
Heh, right. I forgot Obama is Obamaniscient.

Quote:

I'm not sure it's as strong that way as the other. I think Obama supporters, particularly blacks, would do the same (or just stay home) in much larger proportions were their man not to get the nod.

I don't know that Obama personally has the same entitlement complex to the Presidency as Hillary, but his black constituency sure does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Yeah, I don't think Clinton can beat McCain due to the dynamics of the Dem race. Short of Obama being translated and taken to heaven on a charriot of fire (becasue he is just too damn perfect for this world), I cannot think of a scenario where Hillary gets the nomination without fully alienating Obama supporters (enough of whom would then sit out the general election to ensure a McCain victory).
Heh, I prefer he adopt Alma's approach.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 04-23-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh, I prefer he adopt Alma's approach.
What? That whole "Alma was translated" story was just Nephite urban legend? He really got eaten by a jaguar after all?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #27
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How do you envision Clinton becoming the nominee without destroying the party? And if she can raise lots of money, where will it come from?
In the scenario in which she gets it through superdelegates, those superdelgates will make that choice because they perceive it to be the best choice. Things like public opinion at that time will play into it. The Democratic party can and does do idiotic things, but I don't think duking it out at the convention is necessarily idiotic. I think it could even be energizing. Yes, it's tough to lose when you believe in your candidate, but that's the system, and I think MANY would still turn out to vote for the Dem regardless of which one wins. I simply think the doomsday convention talk is overblown. And as I said before, I fully expect Obama to eventually get the nomination. I will still vote for him in November even though he's not my first choice at this point.

Where will she get the money? I don't know. Maybe she can loan it to herself? no, seriously. I'm sure there's more money to be had. I can only speak anecdotally, but I think there are pleny of people who really haven't tuned in as much as they could, and they may yet contribute. I know people like that.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #28
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't think the vitriol is quite as widespread among the population at large as it appears to be here.

And I don't agress that she thinks the nomination was "owed" to her (owed by whom?). But I will grant that she thinks she deserves it. It was probably hers for the taking at one point, so she can thank herself for screwing that up. Having said that, presumably all the top candidates think they deserve it, or why else run?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I don't think the vitriol is quite as widespread among the population at large as it appears to be here.

And I don't agress that she thinks the nomination was "owed" to her (owed by whom?). But I will grant that she thinks she deserves it. It was probably hers for the taking at one point, so she can thank herself for screwing that up. Having said that, presumably all the top candidates think they deserve it, or why else run?
You say deserves. I say owed. It's the same thing.

No candidate deserves to be in the White House. It's a privilege to serve the US citizens. And no politician sees it as a privilege, be he/she Republican or Democrat. They all have a sense of entitlement and of the three remaining candidates, Mrs. Clinton believes she is more entitled.

Not to be rude because that isn't my intention, but perhaps you don't see it because you support her for the Presidency?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM   #30
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
You underestimate.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote