cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 AM   #21
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I certainly don't like what the FLDS is about, but I haven't heard that they've been causing problems in their new area.
Is abusing a teenage girl not enough of a problem for you? Reportedly this is what brought this about .... someone spoke up about child abuse. If they would just produce the girl and her child maybe all this would not be necessary.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:56 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Is abusing a teenage girl not enough of a problem for you? Reportedly this is what brought this about .... someone spoke up about child abuse. If they would just produce the girl and her child maybe all this would not be necessary.
Is that all you got out of my post?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
according to a CNN report, this guy is and has been in Arizona per his probation officer and he says he has never even heard of this girl.

I'm really wondering if the evidence they had was worth taking 137 kids into custody.

And despite their being absolutely no violence or resistance, the authorities come forward saying they are preparing for violence.

Looks like a police state to me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

what would church procedure be for a LDS temple that was entered and searched by police? Would they just announce it would need to be closed for cleaning, then reopened? Would it need to be rededicated?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:08 AM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what would church procedure be for a LDS temple that was entered and searched by police? Would they just announce it would need to be closed for cleaning, then reopened? Would it need to be rededicated?
Don't know, but that is a good question. I wonder what happened after the guy who holed himself up with a rifle in the DC Temple many years ago.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Authorities have entered the temple according to this article.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008...forts-to-area/

More character assassination from one of the govt. attorneys:

Quote:
Although CPS and Department of Public Safety officials have described the compound’s residents as cooperative, Palmer disagreed.

“Things have been a little tense, a little volatile,” she said.
It's ironic that Tom Green County deputies were brought in.

Tom Green - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Green_%28polygamist%29
Old 04-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #27
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Don't know, but that is a good question. I wonder what happened after the guy who holed himself up with a rifle in the DC Temple many years ago.
Actually I have some insight that may be relevant.

If you have ever been in an elevator in the temple (at least in the states), they almost always have one of those certificates issued by the city that shows that the elevator was inspected, etc...

Also, as everyone knows, temples are usually closed for a few weeks each year for deep cleaning, vacuuming, washing, etc..

As a youth, we went to help clean the LA Temple while it was closed over Christmas break. One the day we were there, a city worker had to come by to re-certify the elevator, as it was recently serviced. The city worker was not wearing any special clothes (except foot coverings, like during the open house).

They certainly did not re-dedicate the temple.

I think the Church is pretty level headed about the temple, both from a temporal and spiritual perspective. In some senses, it is a building. If it gets destroyed, build another...that sort of thing.

It isn't the building itself that we keep private. It is the ordinance and ceremony. So if someone comes into the temple (for instance, the police...)...what do they see? Nothing but empty rooms, some nice Victorian furniture, and, if they are lucky, a cafeteria that allegedly serves caffeine/herbal tea/insert your own WOW-offending beverage....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #28
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Actually I have some insight that may be relevant.

If you have ever been in an elevator in the temple (at least in the states), they almost always have one of those certificates issued by the city that shows that the elevator was inspected, etc...

Also, as everyone knows, temples are usually closed for a few weeks each year for deep cleaning, vacuuming, washing, etc..

As a youth, we went to help clean the LA Temple while it was closed over Christmas break. One the day we were there, a city worker had to come by to re-certify the elevator, as it was recently serviced. The city worker was not wearing any special clothes (except foot coverings, like during the open house).

They certainly did not re-dedicate the temple.

I think the Church is pretty level headed about the temple, both from a temporal and spiritual perspective. In some senses, it is a building. If it gets destroyed, build another...that sort of thing.

It isn't the building itself that we keep private. It is the ordinance and ceremony. So if someone comes into the temple (for instance, the police...)...what do they see? Nothing but empty rooms, some nice Victorian furniture, and, if they are lucky, a cafeteria that allegedly serves caffeine/herbal tea/insert your own WOW-offending beverage....
I've have heard of a person dying during a session, the paramedics came right through the door with a stretcher

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

What about a high profile police search?

Does that change things?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #30
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What about a high profile police search?

Does that change things?
I can only speak to when the police come to search the elevators.

The whole "the heathens have defiled our holy place" is a little too Law of Moses for me, though. If the cops have a warrant, let them in. Then pass-along-card them to death.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote