cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #21
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas View Post
ormons, who question doctrine and live on the fringe of belief, react or reply to scriptures warning the educated of their own intellectual snobbery?
How do people who blindly follow self-proclaimed prophets react or reply to scriptures warning of false prophets?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Intellectual vs spiritual learning: the question is whether or not intellectuals are using the right tools for the job when they use intellectualism in the realm of the spiritual.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
How do people who blindly follow self-proclaimed prophets react or reply to scriptures warning of false prophets?
Methinks the estimate of how many people truly "blindly follow" their leaders is grossly overstated.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #24
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is clever on so many levels. Kudos to hyrum.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #25
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

A demonstration is in order:

"So that passage from 2nd Nephi 9...do you really think that a 7th Century Jew, traveling through the wilderness and in between plagiarizing Shakespeare and quoting passages of Isaiah that hadn't even been written yet, would get all bent out of shape over "the learned such and such?" That has 19th century class warfare written all over it. Elsewhere, if you pay attention, this Jew's brother will write something in French. Anyone with sense would bid the whole thing "adieu."

In all seriousness, my formal education has been the profound discovery of the fact that I know nothing. Intellectuals who live Christ-like lives, keep their covenants, don't restrict their tolerance for ambiguity to intellectual inquiry, and recognize the value of faith, can do just fine. Still, ultra-fundamentalists don't make it any easier for them to do so and they often have their own issues and questions. A vibrant scholarly community can be important. I suspect that Sunstone and the like keep more people in the Church than they push out of it.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 10-12-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #26
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Those warning don't exist in LDS approved scriptures. Our insightful leaders removed them in order to shield us from such thoughts of potential apostacy.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
A demonstration is in order:

"So that passage from 2nd Nephi 9...do you really think that a 7th Century Jew, traveling through the wilderness and in between plagiarizing Shakespeare and quoting passages of Isaiah that hadn't even been written yet, would get all bent out of shape over "the learned such and such?". That has 19th century class warfare written all over it. Elsewhere, if you pay attention, this Jew's brother will write something in French. Anyone with sense would bid the whole thing "adieu."

In all seriousness, my formal education has been the profound discovery of the fact that I know nothing. Intellectuals who live Christ-like lives, keep their covenants, don't restrict their tolerance for ambiguity to intellectual inquiry, and recognize the value of faith, can do just fine. Still, ultra-fundamentalists don't make it any easier for them to do so.
Excellent.

I also like your dialectic explanation of pedals on a bicycle.

For many Mormons, learning and the empirical approach often seems to be an either/or, a binary, proposition, instead of a soup, making certain the right ingredients are inserted to make it taste just right.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #28
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Methinks the estimate of how many people truly "blindly follow" their leaders is grossly overstated.
I agree with this statement. I have seen some on Cougarboard say there isn't much of an uproar anywhere else over Sister Becks talk except on the board and that is only the case because some people brought up the issue.

The other reason that there is no uproar is because not many people gave the talk a second thought one way or another.

For those worried that a lot of members wouldn't heed the council and place stay at home moms in a higher ranking than working moms, they should be worried. Most members didn't hear that council.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I once asked Warren Jeffs that very question. He said false prophets would change the teachings of earlier prophets.

I told him that intellectually I think that is pure bull shit. He warned me about people who rely on intellect and not faith.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote