cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #21
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

I've heard it, from a lot of different sources, and I believe it. However, I also think that perhaps our ideas of what constitutes a blessing could potentially be skewed. As someone on cougarboard pointed out to me once, how do we know that we're so much more blessed than the guy living in a little shack somewhere in S. America? His position in this life has freed him of a lot of pride, and given him the humility to accept the gospel, and live it completely. He's not hung up on so many temporal issues. An interesting perspective I thought, and I'm not sure it's inaccurate.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #22
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
With which judgment you proceed so shall you reap. use protection dude.
I always use protection. I keep a Glock in my trunk just in case someone's husband shows up.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #23
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I am attending a business meeting with participants from around the world. Of course the luncheon topic gravitated to religion and when I announced my LDS affiliation, the questions began in rapid fire fashion. One of attendees has received the missionary discussions (lives in London), and had a question I could not answer regarding Mormon Doctrine and pre-mortal judgement. Based on his understanding from the missionary discussions, the LDS doctrine is that we were judged prior to receiving our mortal bodies and this directly affects our lot here on earth.

This is the first time I have heard any linkage between pre-mortal behavior and our mortal life. I would like to tell him this is not true, but am looking for sage advice.
I heard a quotation once - attributed to SW Kimball, but I have no idea if it's legitimate, apocryphal, or what - that said essentially, "If where we go in the next life depends on what we do here, doesn't it stand to reason that where we are here was a result of what we did in the previous life?"

Sorry, I have nothing other than a paraphrase of a questionable quotation I once heard in a meeting.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #24
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
That's good to know. I'm going to assume, then, that the WoW and The Law of Chastity were also not arrived at under inspiration. Now I'm off to grab a bottle of Jack and try to bag me a bar whore. Wish me luck.
My opinion: we are obligated to accept everything a living prophet says. When it comes to doctrine or policy, it's OK to disagree, quietly (or relatively quietly) as long as it doesn't have impact on behavior. If it has do with behavior, then we are obligated to accept it. The test for whether it is true doctrine or not will come over time and whether it is continued to be taught and emphasized.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is what a prophet of the Church said on the subject:

"There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantage. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient, more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less.... There were no neutrals in the war in heaven. All took sides either with Christ or with Satan. Every man had his agency there, and men receive rewards here based upon their actions there, just as they will receive rewards hereafter for deeds done in the body. The Negro, evidently, is receiving the reward he merits."

Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.1, pages 66-67

That came from a prophet, so I guess that does mean it's Church doctrine. Unless, of course, God was just grumpy the day he revealed that to JFS.
Was this written before or after he became President of the church?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's good to know. I'm going to assume, then, that the WoW and The Law of Chastity were also not arrived at under inspiration. Now I'm off to grab a bottle of Jack and try to bag me a bar whore. Wish me luck.
I hate to find myself on the same page with you seq, but you're making the argument I've been making all along, except coming the opposite conclusion.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 AM   #27
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm shocked people 'claim' they haven't heard this....

Acts 17: 24-26
Deuteronomy 32: 7-9
Romans 8: 28-30
D & C 1: 4-5
Jeremiah 1: 5 (Missionaries taught this in discussions)
Jesus and 'war in heaven'
Negroes and their being black because of indecision
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:34 AM   #28
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Regarding premortal judgment: I'm just glad that our side didn't cut and run during the war in heaven.

IMHO, anyone who wants to cut and run from Iraq is sealing their telestial fate.

Regarding primordial soup: Much more interesting topic.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 10-11-2007 at 04:39 AM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 AM   #29
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I'm just glad that our side didn't cut and run during the war in heaven.

IMHO, anyone who wants to cut and run from Iraq is sealing their telestial fate.
No wonder Democrats have more African-American affiliation.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 AM   #30
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I guess I shouldn't have been such a stud in the pre-existence. My athletic ability is diminished due to my righteousness.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote