cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Here's the kicker: if you want your daughter to really be serious about education and careers, don't send her to BYU. I think the evidence argues strongly for this.
That might be a generalization that is true, I don't know.

However I know several women who have gone to BYU and currently have professional careers.

If you took a poll (confidential poll) of BYU students and BYU alumni, I think you would be shocked at how many don't subscribe to a lot of the guidelines given.

I remember a poll on CB about whether the policy of hiring only LDS head coaches was agreed with. I think it was about 70% disagree.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here's the kicker: if you want your daughter to really be serious about education and careers, don't send her to BYU. I think the evidence argues strongly for this.
Why would you say this? I think you are overstating things a bit.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Why would you say this? I think you are overstating things a bit.
The cultural pull to not pursue further career is much stronger at BYU than other institutions, where not considering a career would be somewhat of an aberration.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #24
BYU71

Quote:
The cultural pull to not pursue further career is much stronger at BYU than other institutions, where not considering a career would be somewhat of an aberration.
Duh, BYU is heavily populated by mormons Mike and BYU is more attractive to the more fundamentalist types in the church. I will bet the cultural pull to not pursue a career is even stronger at Ricks and even stronger yet at a Mulsim fundamentalist college.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Duh, BYU is heavily populated by mormons Mike and BYU is more attractive to the more fundamentalist types in the church. I will bet the cultural pull to not pursue a career is even stronger at Ricks and even stronger yet at a Mulsim fundamentalist college.
I can't speak for Muslims, because the Muslim that I most most frequently associated with in the past few years is a married female physician (married to Muslim as well of course).

But I agree with the Ricks/BYU assessment. I would probably actively oppose my kids going to Ricks.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Then that is an LDS artifact and not a result of the institution. I can assure you that the vast majority of the BYU faculty do everything they can to promote equal educational and career opportunities for women.

Ironically, there are more female students than male students at BYU. By a surprisingly large and ever-increasing margin. It is getting to the point where the administration is becoming quite concerned about it.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #27
BYU71

Quote:
I can't speak for Muslims, because the Muslim that I most most frequently associated with in the past few years is a married female physician (married to Muslim as well of course).

But I agree with the Ricks/BYU assessment. I would probably actively oppose my kids going to Ricks.

I don't know. If I had a child that I wanted to turn out like Tex, I would probably send them to Ricks.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #28
BYU71

Quote:
Then that is an LDS artifact and not a result of the institution. I can assure you that the vast majority of the BYU faculty do everything they can to promote equal educational and career opportunities for women.

Ironically, there are more female students than male students at BYU. By a surprisingly large and ever-increasing margin. It is getting to the point where the administration is becoming quite concerned about it.
Well their guidelines for admittance will naturally favor girls.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I don't know. If I had a child that I wanted to turn out like Tex, I would probably send them to Ricks.
LOL. Tex, son of Rexburg.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I can provide evidence to the contrary.