cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What a ridiculous characterization. I'm not kicking anybody. I don't make the rules. However, I do believe that Elder Nelson has a better fix on what the rules are than you or I do for this particular matter.

Do I rejoice in the concept that people cannot be united eternally without being sealed and/or failing to live up to their covenants? No. In fact, I have close family members I worry about because of this.

Heck, I worry about my own marriage and whether or not I'm sufficiently keeping up my end of the bargain.
I am not surprised by Elder Nelson's talk and we shall continue to hear more of the same. In fact, I doubt I shall ever live to see the day when a GA proclaims anything but exclusivity for exaltation. That doesn't mean there are in the eternities exceptions or other methodologies for salvation and exaltation, but only you won't find them preached by leadership.

It was a weird way of approaching the topic, but not too surprising.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I am not surprised by Elder Nelson's talk and we shall continue to hear more of the same. In fact, I doubt I shall ever live to see the day when a GA proclaims anything but exclusivity for exaltation. That doesn't mean there are in the eternities exceptions or other methodologies for salvation and exaltation, but only you won't find them preached by leadership.

It was a weird way of approaching the topic, but not too surprising.
So the Gospel is essentially a giant wink and nod exercise?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #23
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

In an earthly correctional facility you aren't allowed to be with your spouse. Why would you be allowed to be with your spouse in the Spirit Correctional Facility?

Just like solving an equation. It's all about logic, folks.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Notice I've never suggested people can "be united eternally without being sealed and/or failing to live up to their covenants".

I just have an extreme problem with people speaking with certainty of items 1,2,3 from previous post.
What did you expect him to say? "D&C 132 teaches that all connections, associations, and expectations not made by the priesthood are of no efficacy, but who knows? Maybe you'll get visitation rights"?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
What did you expect him to say? "D&C 132 teaches that all connections, associations, and expectations not made by the priesthood are of no efficacy, but who knows? Maybe you'll get visitation rights"?
He didn't need to say it at all. He was telling people who say a loved one was reunited with a deceased spouse that they're wrong. That's extremely direct and bold and potentially offensive. And it's not backed up by any clear, regularly taught doctrine.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
He didn't need to say it at all. He was telling people who say a loved one was reunited with a deceased spouse that they're wrong. That's extremely direct and bold and potentially offensive. And it's not backed up by any clear, regularly taught doctrine.
How is that not backed up by the verse he quoted following?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #27
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
What a ridiculous characterization. I'm not kicking anybody. I don't make the rules. However, I do believe that Elder Nelson has a better fix on what the rules are than you or I do for this particular matter.
Who here besides Indy believes this?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #28
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
In an earthly correctional facility you aren't allowed to be with your spouse. Why would you be allowed to be with your spouse in the Spirit Correctional Facility?

Just like solving an equation. It's all about logic, folks.
Conjugal visits are allowed in some prisons. I am hoping this logic holds true for me.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #29
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I too thought it rather harsh and in need of clarification for non-Mormons like SU (oh, I forgot, SU is still a Mormon). I remember as a newly married couple sitting with non-member friends of my wife (I nipped that in the bud quickly, and for good reason as you will see) discussing the temple and the states of souls after death. I noted our belief in "eternal marriage" and that I would be with my wife after death.

One friend responded that she fully expected to be with her spouse after death as well, not necessarily as man and wife, but that they would be together. I still don't see why she is not correct.

Hence, I see Elder Nelson's reading of the obit as fairly narrow in his interpretation, and probably no where the original intent of the author.

There, that's all the criticism of The Bretheren that I can muster for one day.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #30
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Who here besides Indy believes this?
Me.

I am fairly sure an Apostle of the Lord has things figured out a little better than I do.