cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Well, it was certainly nice of him to strike all of the conservative counties in California. Maybe he needs to update his political map. BTW, I would have bet a lot of money that you'd agree with that ludicrous idea.
Don't kid yourself SteelBlue, you, Bluegoose, TripletDaddy and all the other Californians need to get the heck out and don't look back before you turn into a pillar of salt.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Don't kid yourself SteelBlue, you, Bluegoose, TripletDaddy and all the other Californians need to get the heck out and don't look back before you turn into a pillar of salt.
No kidding. In all honesty, I'm a bit shocked that there are educated adults out there making this connection. The fact that even some bishops are apparently going there is embarrassing.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #23
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Shock and outrage abound but no real cogent counter-argument to the below point has been offered.

"God did it before in the scriptures, is he doing it again now?"
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #24
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Dude. Where is the wow factor here? Can you address the issue at all? I'm not trying to piss anyone off. I have no clue if there is a connection or not. What is with the outrage? Do you read 3rd Nephi and then throw your BOM against the wall in disgust? I'm just thinking this through. Chill.
Since massive wildfires seem to happen every year in CA, it seems a bit of a stretch to chalk this particular round up to divine retribution.

Now if San Francisco literally fell into the sea, I'd be with you.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is a story in the scriptures where God started some wildfires in response to a court ruling?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

It always amazes me when when a group of people are suffering due to a natural disaster and then some dumbasses add insult to injury by telling them it is a punishment from God.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #27
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
There is a story in the scriptures where God started some wildfires in response to a court ruling?
I've posted a couple times earlier in the thread speaking in more general terms. I'm talking at a general level of using natural disasters to punish wickedness. I tried to make it really obvious where I was going. Sorry if I failed you.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #28
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
It always amazes me when when a group of people are suffering due to a natural disaster and then some dumbasses add insult to injury by telling them it is a punishment from God.
Agreed. That does suck. How do you look at the accounts of natural disasters in 3rd Nephi? Are they bogus? True? Exaggerated? False correlation?

Again, I don't feel strongly about this either way. I'm looking for an intelligent response that can avoid pompous arrogance and snide remarks.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #29
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Shock and outrage abound but no real cogent counter-argument to the below point has been offered.

Here is the salient questoin emanating from this ludicrous thread: Is this illustrative of a morally and intellectually bankrupt state of LDS sacrament meetings? Yes, this is meant to be a rhetorical question. JL, Waters, Cali, others of you, I don't know why you waste a precious second with such awful, boorish, unschooled people whose lives are guided by superstition and mythology.

Colly Wolly, it's easy to see through your avowed agnosticism on this point. You're as big a POS as your bishop. We know you.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #30
Colly Wolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Here is the salient questoin emanating from this ludicrous thread: Is this illustrative of a morally and intellectually bankrupt state of LDS sacrament meetings? Yes, this is meant to be a rhetorical question. JL, Waters, Cali, others of you, I don't know why you waste a precious second with such awful, boorish, unschooled people whose lives are guided by superstition and mythology.

Colly Wolly, it's easy to see through your avowed agnosticism on this point. You're as big a POS as your bishop. We know you.
You are free to jump to whatever conclusions you wish. My wife's family is all from San Diego, and they experienced these fires first hand a few years ago. The cops evacuated them, but their house was spared. Their neighbors were not so lucky. I don't judge people hurt by disasters, I don't judge the state of California either. It sucks.

I'm simply trying to reconcile the outrage that exists with what I read in the scriptures. Sorry if that's hard for you. You've got your mind made up about me. That's fine, I've got mine made up about you as well. Good day.