cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 AM   #21
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagius of OSU View Post
No its clearly for Oklahoma
I thought you were required by law to place "THE" in front of Ohio State. You know, to differentiate it from all those fly by night internet Ohio States.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 AM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You can hardly blame Kneejerk for it. I am the one that edited. He just responded to what I wrote.
so should I go back and edit . . .wait a minute, now you're trying to trap me in your little game, eh?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #23
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I thought you were required by law to place "THE" in front of Ohio State. You know, to differentiate it from all those fly by night internet Ohio States.
Yes, I would have done that but last time I did Creekster scolded me about how The Johns Hopkins University is the only university allowed to use the definite article. So you will have to excuse me for being gun shy (the wrath of Creekster can be a terrible thing).

Last edited by pelagius; 08-28-2008 at 02:52 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #24
landpoke

Quote:
Yes, I would have done that but last time I did Creekster scolded me about how The Johns Hopkins University is the only university allowed allowed to use the definite article. So you will have to excuse me for being gun shy (the wrath of Creekster can be a terrible thing).
I'll fight to the death to defend your right, and by extension Ohio's right, to use the definite article.

Signed

landpoke
THE American University
ex 90
Old 08-28-2008, 03:04 AM   #25
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I'll fight to the death to defend your right, and by extension Ohio's right, to use the definite article.

Signed

landpoke
THE American University
ex 90
Representative agent will give life for universal definite article use. Best estimates suggest that Americans behave as if they value an additional year of life at about 100,000. Assume constant real growth and another 50 years of life for landpoke. Value of definite article right: $5 million per person.

Costs: Well I suppose we will have to see how passionate creekster is but there are way more Ohio State grads so pretty sure costs can't match.

Unrestricted definite article use is clearly optimal.

Last edited by pelagius; 08-28-2008 at 03:08 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I've been pondering this thread.

I have to admit this approach to apply optimization to civil rights is odd to me. It's my kind of thing, but I can't remember being exposed to it before. Maybe I was in my undergrad days and don't remember it.

My initial reaction is to refuse to listen and blurt out "you can't apply optimization to civil rights! It's either right or it's wrong!".

But then if one is rational about it, you can admit that not everyone agrees on what is right and wrong, so we have to come to some agreement on the matter, and the cost/benefit/market/optimization method Pelagius suggests is the right way.

But it's still too difficult for me to swallow. I think there's a right and wrong in civil rights, and one has a responsibility to push for the right. So I can't agree with using the model to evaluate the issue. Or maybe I'm still not internalizing Pelagius' model.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I've been pondering this thread.

I have to admit this approach to apply optimization to civil rights is odd to me. It's my kind of thing, but I can't remember being exposed to it before. Maybe I was in my undergrad days and don't remember it.

My initial reaction is to refuse to listen and blurt out "you can't apply optimization to civil rights! It's either right or it's wrong!".

But then if one is rational about it, you can admit that not everyone agrees on what is right and wrong, so we have to come to some agreement on the matter, and the cost/benefit/market/optimization method Pelagius suggests is the right way.

But it's still too difficult for me to swallow. I think there's a right and wrong in civil rights, and one has a responsibility to push for the right. So I can't agree with using the model to evaluate the issue. Or maybe I'm still not internalizing Pelagius' model.
it's not the right way.

it breaks down when someone who cares deeply about an issue has no resources.

like slavery. It may be worth $1,000,000 to a slave to get his freedom, but since he has only $1, he can only apply $1. It is worth $10,000 for the slave owner and he can apply $10,000. Slave owner wins.

Look at the holocaust.

Look at the current treatment of gypsies in Europe.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #28
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
it's not the right way.

it breaks down when someone who cares deeply about an issue has no resources.

like slavery. It may be worth $1,000,000 to a slave to get his freedom, but since he has only $1, he can only apply $1. It is worth $10,000 for the slave owner and he can apply $10,000. Slave owner wins.

Look at the holocaust.

The way I'm interpreting this, $ is just a representative measure because it's something we all recognize. You could create an imaginary unit called of feeling or passion. I could put in 10 units of passion against gay marriage and you put in 100 units of passion for gay marriage and we optimize it this way. I don't think Pelagius would agree that finances are the issue here.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The way I'm interpreting this, $ is just a representative measure because it's something we all recognize. You could create an imaginary unit called of feeling or passion. I could put in 10 units of passion against gay marriage and you put in 100 units of passion for gay marriage and we optimize it this way. I don't think Pelagius would agree that finances are the issue here.
my point is if that passion can find no access to change, then it isn't worth very much.

I may be passionate about an issue, but you just murdered me. My passion amounts to nothing, I'm dead.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #30
landpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The gypsies have no one to blame but themselves.