cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #21
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Now let's be fair. You will search in vain for any comment I made saying I liked you're so vain. I don't particualrly care for it as I find it a bit boring and musically dull. I simply pointed out that it appeared to me that Jef L had missed the point of the song.

I actusally don't mind the Clouds in my cofee line, as it works very well if you assume, as I choose to, that she is talking about the moment jkust after you put cream in black coffee and for a few seconds you can see the cream like a cloud in the sky until it compeltely disperses and is lost as a separate substance.

Per Wiki, I may or may not be rigth about Jagger as the subject, but I can't say it matters much to me. The reall point, I think, should be that Carly Simon is not the same thing as You're so vain. She has a nice voice and, even thought that particular song is dull, she does some other stuff very well, such as Nobody DOes it Better, which is where SIEQ started this whole mess.
Still, I don't understand how you could claim You're so Vain is musically dull but not Nobody Does it Better.

As for me, You're So Vain was recorded before my parents were even married, so I probably know not of which I speak. But Carly Simon embodies the worst movement of 1970s music, a movement which also includes Debby Boone and a few choice others.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Still, I don't understand how you could claim You're so Vain is musically dull but not Nobody Does it Better.

As for me, You're So Vain was recorded before my parents were even married, so I probably know not of which I speak. But Carly Simon embodies the worst movement of 1970s music, a movement which also includes Debby Boone and a few choice others.
I see: THis is a generational thing. You are too young to remeber Carly in her prime. She was very good. She also suffered from sever stage fright and did nto perfrom publicly for a long time, but she does have a good voice. Smokey alto indeed.

You're so vain is built on a minor chord that just keepos thumping along. Little variation in the melody, repetitive chorus in kyric and melody. No drama or interest. It's only an opinion, but it's boring, and I was alive and listening to musi when it was released. Nobody does it better is more interesting musically. traditional chord structure, but at least it moves aro9und a bit. It builds and has some variation. Besides (and this is where SIEQ is dead wrong, I might add) the song is about ME. Thanks, Carly.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #23
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post

One other thing. Carly Simon has absolutely nothing in common with Debby Boone. It may look like one big morass of bad hair and silly clothes to you, but from one who lived through the 70s, there was a HUGE gulf between Carly Simon and Debby Boone. Debby Bioone did not light up my life, but Carly can sing about me any time.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #24
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I always heard that song was about Warren Beatty.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I always heard that song was about Warren Beatty.
That's what I've heard as well. Or maybe it's about whitney64.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #26
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

When the big to-do happened a couple of years ago in which Dick Ebersol bought the opportunity to hear first hand from Carly Simon who the song was about, all of the speculation that I had heard was between Beatty and James Taylor. Wiki throws Jagger in there as well, but it seems clear it most likely was not him. I was leaning toward Beatty for no particular reason.

I had considered making some comment about the unfortunate plane crash a couple of years ago being an attempt by Simon to bury her secret, but thought that would be insensitive, considering Ebersols son died in the "accident".
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #27
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Carly
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #28
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
When the big to-do happened a couple of years ago in which Dick Ebersol bought the opportunity to hear first hand from Carly Simon who the song was about, all of the speculation that I had heard was between Beatty and James Taylor. Wiki throws Jagger in there as well, but it seems clear it most likely was not him. I was leaning toward Beatty for no particular reason.

I had considered making some comment about the unfortunate plane crash a couple of years ago being an attempt by Simon to bury her secret, but thought that would be insensitive, considering Ebersols son died in the "accident".
Why is it clear it's not Jagger?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:10 PM   #29
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Why is it clear it's not Jagger?
Thats a good question. I suppose its really not all that clear. I only say what Wikipedia tells me to.

I don't recall his name as being included in the speculation back in 2004. Probably considering the fact that he was singing back-up vocals for the song. Some might say that is all the more reason why it may have been him she was singing about.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote