cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:52 AM   #21
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Why shouldn't you have confidence in Max Hall? It's not an automatic that a new starter is going to have huge problems

People are acting like this is a true freshman thrown unexpectedly into a starting role on a team with a lot of questions - because that's what we're used to in the recent past.

He's been groomed for the position for a full year. He's already redshirted a year for a Pac-10 team. He served a mini-mission, so he hasn't really been away from the game all that much.

He's playing behind one of BYU's best offensive lines in years, with a solid RB corps, and the best WR corps, as a whole, I can remember BYU having. (Austin Collie will be BYU's best WR ever).

BYU's also got a good defense.

I like the fact that Bronco gave him double the reps during the fall - that could come back to bite him if Hall gets hurt, but I think it was a good, calculated risk.

In short, it seems to me that everything's in place for Hall to succeed as a new starting QB, where so many others in the recent past have not.

This year, more than any other, I think the team can afford for Hall to make mistakes, as long as he also makes a few plays.

I don't think 2 or fewer losses is an unreasonable expectation, given the schedule, especially with TCU and Utah being so late in the year, when he will have had almost a full year's experience.

I won't slit my wrists if we lose 3 or 4, but I think 2 is definitely reasonable.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #22
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Anyone with any faith in Max Hall is either critically unaware of college football or just plain dumb.

I expect and I am convinced Max Hall will struggle.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 09-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #23
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am glad you said partially looney. That leaves you an out doesn't it. Just so we all know, you are on record as BYU winning 8 or less, right?

I think it is possible BYU will go 11-1 this year and I wouldn't consider them a powerhouse. If they did, some would cry and moan if we didn't get a BCS game. I wouldn't be one of them.

We play in a weak conference. We have scheduled a bottom of the rung Az. game at home. The tough teams in our weak conference are at home and we have scheduled that powerhouse from the NW, Eastern Washington at home.

I am predicting 10-2 and sticking to it. That record though by no means indicates to me we are a powerhouse. It would be evidence that the coaches are doing a better than average job and I think they will.

By the way. If our schedule were reversed, I might be elated with an 8 win season.
I wonder how long it will take for more and more to jump on the 10-2 bandwaggon and forget they weren't there all along.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:37 PM   #24
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wonder how long it will take for more and more to jump on the 10-2 bandwaggon and forget they weren't there all along.
I'm there.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm not big on preseason W-L predictions, but I did make the comment on CG that an average coach should be able to roll out of bed and get 8 wins with this team, so that puts me on the 9-3 or better bandwagon, I guess.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #26
SoCalCoug

So, Goatnapper, are you happier than a clam in mud? (assuming we win one of the next two, of course).

Have we finally defined "realistic expectations" yet? Before the season, I was accused of having blue-tinted goggles on. Anyone who said that can just bite me.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #27
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
So, Goatnapper, are you happier than a clam in mud? (assuming we win one of the next two, of course).

Have we finally defined "realistic expectations" yet? Before the season, I was accused of having blue-tinted goggles on. Anyone who said that can just bite me.
Good find.

Some fans just aren't happy unless they have something to worry about.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #28
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post

This has been one of the greatest years in years. If BYU wins the final two it will be much better than last year.

Max and this club have me sucking down a whole lot of crow.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:12 AM   #29
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
This has been one of the greatest years in years. If BYU wins the final two it will be much better than last year.

Max and this club have me sucking down a whole lot of crow.
Well we haven't got Utah beat yet. It will be a tough game, but the guy in this thread who kept arguing this team would win 10 looks pretty smart.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well we haven't got Utah beat yet. It will be a tough game, but the guy in this thread who kept arguing this team would win 10 looks pretty smart.
Nice smile and big boobs.

Congrats on sticking to a prediction.

Utah scares me. We're winning; Utah's throttling folks.