cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I like both coaches.

I wanted KW for our head coach because I believe he was a good coach and would also improve us vis-a-vis Utah via subtraction.

Bronco has surprised me, but I'm interested to see how he fares next season breaking in a new qb and a new offense basically. I'm not betting against Bronco as he appears to learn and to grow, adapting to circumstances. That is a sign of a good coach.

Again, perhaps each squad got the coach they need under the circumstances. I doubt KW will ever suck, but will he excell to the standards Urban Meyer set? If he doesn't, will Utes be happy winning conference once every five years and finishing second or third most years?
Old 03-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #22
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
For the record; I haven't paid attention to this hread and don't intend to. I'm sure it's peppered with the most inane blue colored horse shit imaginable. Let's just say I'm interested in seeing how BM does when not gifted a first class DI quarterback and running back and seasoned supporting cast a la Giacolewtti and Bogut et al. Also, isn't it funny to think that BM is three seconds away from his job being in jeopardy. For the record, I wouldn't trade you coaches. From their head to head match ups it's clear to me who's tougher and more resourceful.
I was in the camp that wanted KW from the get-go. Like Arch said, I feel like Whit is a good coach and it would have been one more blow to Utah.

I think BYU in 2005 would have been better with Whit as the head man, and I think that BYU in 2006 wouldn't have been quite as good with Whit as the head man.

I think this year is both coaches most important year yet. I do hope though, that we can see both coaches at the schools for a long time to come.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #23
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

IN response to Goat...no I do not believe that Bronco will crash and burn like Giac or Crowton. I think Bronco has a lot to prove and he has done a very good job so far. I think this year will go a long way in showing whether or not he is a good coach or a very good coach. He has lost his main guns...lets see how he sets up his team.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:45 AM   #24
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
IN response to Goat...no I do not believe that Bronco will crash and burn like Giac or Crowton. I think Bronco has a lot to prove and he has done a very good job so far. I think this year will go a long way in showing whether or not he is a good coach or a very good coach. He has lost his main guns...lets see how he sets up his team.
I think that this season will tell us a lot about both coaches. I think with Bronco we might get to see the floor of what he can do, since we lost so much. Last year we pretty much saw the parameters of the penthouse and it was good.

As for Whittingham he has got a lot to prove this year to let Ute fans know if the last 2 years were the ceiling or the basement. If KW does not win more than 8 next year then there may be trouble down the road. I think the Utes will do better, but they have a tough schedule next year do they not?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

KWhit has too many McCrowtin tendencies for me to believe that he's better than Bronco.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I think that this season will tell us a lot about both coaches. I think with Bronco we might get to see the floor of what he can do, since we lost so much. Last year we pretty much saw the parameters of the penthouse and it was good.

As for Whittingham he has got a lot to prove this year to let Ute fans know if the last 2 years were the ceiling or the basement. If KW does not win more than 8 next year then there may be trouble down the road. I think the Utes will do better, but they have a tough schedule next year do they not?
Yes, the Utes have a rather difficult OOC shedule next year - at Oregon State, home vs. UCLA, at Louisville. Between UCLA and Louisville is a home game vs. USU, but that won't be tough.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #27
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yes, the Utes have a rather difficult OOC shedule next year - at Oregon State, home vs. UCLA, at Louisville. Between UCLA and Louisville is a home game vs. USU, but that won't be tough.
Yikes-that is tough. The Vegas money will be on a 1-3 start.

Do ya'll cut KW some slack based upon level of difficulty?
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I do. Not sure about the other Ute fans. Unfortunately, I think most fans suffer from the "Our team isn't as good as we think it is" syndrome. It's a college sports thing, I suppose.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #29
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Absolutely.

The problem is that regardless of who you play, when you lose, everything gets a little more intense and players and coaches start to play the blame game. If that happens, It could get ugly really fast.

When KW said after the BSU game that everything they wanted to accomplish was still in front of them, he was right...and would be again this year after a 1-3 start, but I would think that in a program that has lost games it shouldn't have over the last two years, a few early confidence boosters (non USU) would help tremendously.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #30
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This sounds about right.
Kyle lives in my parents' ward. I know Kyle thought about it good and hard because my dad asked him about. In the end, he felt he made the right decision, and my dad congratulated him on finally seeing the light.
I think Bronco is an ass and am glad you have him and glad we have Kyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Here's what happened with Kyle with 90% certainty:

Kyle wanted the head job at BYU or Utah. With everything else being equal, he preferred BYU for the quality of the program, the church affiliation, and his history with the program. He preferred Utah due to his current bonds developed with players, coaches and boosters and also the location since his teenage kids were entrenched in their schools. Even with money equal, it would have been a hard decision, but my understanding is that he would have chosen BYU.

He would have taken BYU's offer had he not had the counteroffer. But the lowball offer from BYU did make him question their commitment to him, especially when Utah's offer came and was so much higher. He also was concerned with the brethren's involvement and the non-football issues, i.e. honor code, and how much that would handcuff him to do his job.

It was a tough decision for Kyle and he went with the U. Any one of a handful of issues could be named the one thing that swayed him: commitment to his players, not having to uproot his family, $, Honor Code issues at BYU, and instability of BYU admin especially AD position.

I think it's lame to call KW a traitor. For rivalry smack I guess it's cool, but if you really believe that way and have hatred for Kyle, I think you're an idiot.

Also, if you have "inside" info that KW either a) acted completely unethical in a way that BYU fans should hate him or b) think KW never cared for BYU and played them to get the Utah job he wanted all along, I also think you're an idiot.