cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you want to tailgate?!
Yes, tailgating is a blast and necessary to being a TRUE BLUE fan... 6 30.00%
Maybe, I'd like to tailgate and see what the fuss is all about.. 6 30.00%
No, I don't tailgate because I live out of state. 7 35.00%
No, It's not an effective use of ones time.... 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I for one am interested in the idea of a stadium full of 50,000 sober fans. It must be nice. I'd imagine you could actually, like, take kids to the game without worrying as much about what they'd see/hear. I won't take my son to the games here because of the language.
If you are ever in Utah in the fall you have a standing invite to a BYU game.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #22
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

You'd rather mow your lawn than tailgate?

That's gay.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

That's gay.
It's even more gay if he does it while wearing hot pants and a tube top.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #24
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

That's gay.
You've obviously never been to a tailgate put on the alumni assocation, my only experience with tailgating. I don't even like mowing the lawn, thats how bad it was.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #25
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I'm a solid maybe:

I've never tailgated before but have season tickets (usually kick-butt seats on the 9th row baby!) and religiously attend BYU home games. I'm not sure what the fuss is all about tailgating-wise. It seems to me like the expenditure of time/effort would exceed any enjoyment I would derive from it. I would fell dumb just tailgaiting by myself with my three kids. Like The Borg previously stated, I think it would be a little wierd just showing up to tailgate with people I've never met before.

Thus, the fact that I've never tailgaited before, don't have any idea how to tailgate, not sure I will even like tailgating, and don't have anyone to tailgate with are all big obstacles to me ever becoming a true tailgater. That being said, it would be nice if you posted your "tailgate checklist" so investigators like myself could get an idea of the time, effort, and commitment involved.

P.S. - Did anyone else realize that The Borg's avatar winks? I just noticed that. Am I the last one to notice everything?
When you team up with others the time spent planning and getting things together goes way down, as does the expenditure. Why would you feel dumb tailgating with your 3 kids? I guess it's more fun when you have some of your own buddies too. I'm excited for when my kid and future kids are of age to tailgate. It will be great for them to soak in the BYU football atmosphere and throw the football around with other BYU fan kids. It's all apart of the indoctination.

About tailgating with people you've never met before. Yeah, that can be a little weird, but if you have something to 'add' to the tailgate it becomes less awkward and you have something to contribute I guess. My wife thinks it's really weird that I talk to other BYU fans on the internet too... let alone tailgate with anyone!

Biggest obstacles in the past for having fun at tailgates.... not being prepared, not having the proper equipment, forgetting the tickets, too hot, some get bored, etc. With all the stuff we bring with the canopy to provide shade, the drinks to keep us cool, not being stressed because we have everything, and not being bored because you like the people you are with.

The reason I never get bored is because I'm cooking the food, catching up with friends and family, I like to throw the football, I like to play cards, I like good food, etc. etc. We need to find some things we all like to do... I also like watching ESPN gameday and now that's possible too...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #26
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
You've obviously never been to a tailgate put on the alumni assocation, my only experience with tailgating. I don't even like mowing the lawn, thats how bad it was.
I can vouch for bluegoose concerning the lameness of the alumni association tailgates... in fact they can't even be considered tailgates.. it's more like attending a tri-stake barbecue and you don't know anybody. bad food for the price, weak entertainment, and NO shade! All that is taken care of when you put on your own tailgates...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Legacy club tailgating is better but generally BYU tailgating sucks because the food isn't any good and you don't have anh hot chicks getting lathered pulling outrageous stunts.

Oh well maybe that's not the type of tailgating you were looking for.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #28
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Legacy club tailgating is better but generally BYU tailgating sucks because the food isn't any good and you don't have anh hot chicks getting lathered pulling outrageous stunts.

Oh well maybe that's not the type of tailgating you were looking for.
Legacy Club tailgating where? Lot 1 just east of the stadium and kitty corner from the MC? I know TBS tailgates there and some of the Poly players families will roast some pigs... Looks fun... Although like I've said, a truly fun tailgating experience is who you do it with. I've seen people just go up and take the food from some of the Polynesian tailgates (and they love for anyone to take some of their food), but it looks funny when some palagi runs up and takes some cheaps and meat with their heart racing and then running back to their friends saying, yeah, it's cool.. you guys can have some too...

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 05-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Legacy Club tailgating where? Lot 1 just east of the stadium and kitty corner from the MC? I know TBS tailgates there and some of the Poly players families will roast some pigs... Looks fun... Although like I've said, a truly fun tailgating experience is who you do it with. I've seen people just go up and take the food from some of the Polynesian tailgates (and they love for anyone to take some of their food), but it looks funny when some palagi runs up and takes some cheaps and meat with their heart racing and then running back to their friends saying, yeah, it's cool.. you guys can have some too...
One of the best tailgating experiences involved CB, when the Polys ran it. It was great as my boys and I threw the football, and ate better food than I could ever think of.

Last year's at the Vegas Bowl was okay but the tailgating at REno was horrible.

Cougar Club tailgating sucks. I have been in the Legacy Tents where the food was noticably better but the company not as good.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #30
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
One of the best tailgating experiences involved CB, when the Polys ran it. It was great as my boys and I threw the football, and ate better food than I could ever think of.

Last year's at the Vegas Bowl was okay but the tailgating at REno was horrible.

Cougar Club tailgating sucks. I have been in the Legacy Tents where the food was noticably better but the company not as good.
CB? Curtis Brown, CougarBoard? Last years Las Vegas Bowl... I assume you are talking about the party thrown by the bowl... half BYU and the other half Oregon. It was cool for the 15 minutes spent looking around, but my crew and I had more fun when we threw up our canopy, flags and grill and just chilled. I can't consider that tailgating. To ensure you have a good tailgating experience you really have to do it yourself and with others you have planned with.

Never been in the Legacy Club tent and seen the magical chocolate fountain, but again, that cannot be classified as tailgating either...

I'm glad your boys had a good time throwing the ball around. That's what it's all about.

"I'm on my beater bike"