cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
so you think they will change the rules at the end of the year when the results of the formula are not what they like? I don't think so. They will change future years if the results of their formula isn't what they like, but they are stuck with what they have during this season.
Well, I'm much more cynical/tinfoil hat about this than pretty much anyone. The BCS has never done anything to show that they want to find a true NCAA football champion, but a champion of their club.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #22
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, I'm much more cynical/tinfoil hat about this than pretty much anyone. The BCS has never done anything to show that they want to find a true NCAA football champion, but a champion of their club.
The problem they have though is the the formula is public knowledge they can't change it mid season without everybody knowing about it. Non-BCS schools would not be the only people crying foul play.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Break into the computers? I doubt it.

Request that different data be fed into the computers? Absolutely.

It's their game. They don't like outsiders.
The chance appears minuscule to me, but it appears with a perfect storm brewing, and the BCS powers would its unlikely eventuality to their advantage claiming nothing's broke, see it worked, for BYU to slide in.

I'm not betting on it, as I would be delighted with any BCS bowl and BYU, but I'd be silly to vote for anything but the championship if we had a choice.

I don't believe we match up well defensively against the top five teams, but then again on any give night, who knows. And if we lose, even badly, so what. It will have been an experience worth watching, cuz it comes around every 12 years.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #24
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldn't the best case scenario be BYU ranked # 1 by the AP poll, but # 3 or 4 by the BCS poll, and then #2 & #3 play for the BCS championship? That's what would really illustrate the unfairness (if any) of the whole thing.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #25
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Wouldn't the best case scenario be BYU ranked # 1 by the AP poll, but # 3 or 4 by the BCS poll, and then #2 & #3 play for the BCS championship? That's what would really illustrate the unfairness (if any) of the whole thing.
A similar thing happened in 2003. I think every possible scenario has been exploited over the past 10 years but the powers that be refuse to change anything, even though it's the precious USCs, Michigans, and SEC schools that have been getting screwed by one another year after year. Yet they keep extending the contracts.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #26
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
A similar thing happened in 2003. I think every possible scenario has been exploited over the past 10 years but the powers that be refuse to change anything, even though it's the precious USCs, Michigans, and SEC schools that have been getting screwed by one another year after year. Yet they keep extending the contracts.
That's because the screwing is not in money, only in title. If the difference was to the bottom line in a significant way, then you might hear some squawking.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The problem they have though is the the formula is public knowledge they can't change it mid season without everybody knowing about it. Non-BCS schools would not be the only people crying foul play.
Stop being logical! College football is supposed to be about conspiracies - from getting hosed by refs to having game plans disrupted by rogue grounds crews to getting shutout of a fake championship game by corrupt computer geeks.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #28
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Hopefully BYU will get to play a 5-loss Michigan team and beat them by a touchdown. If undefeated, call yourselves the champions.
If we are #1 in both polls, I am with you.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
If we are #1 in both polls, I am with you.
I'd prefer that BYU beat a crappy Pitt team in a non-championship bowl and then we can all get really excited about it and wear sombreros!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I'd prefer that BYU beat a crappy Pitt team in a non-championship bowl and then we can all get really excited about it and wear sombreros!
The truth comes out! You're jealous of the sombreros, aren't you?

If we ever do have lunch, I'll bring my sombrero as a gift to you.