cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For such a hapless opponent, we weren't dominant.
Coaches don't care about dominant. They care about getting the win. If they wanted to win by a bigger margin they easily could have. But that's not really how they think. To them it's about getting the lead and then running out the clock.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #22
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

On the radio afterwards they said that Max Hall joined the following list of players that had a PER over 200 as a sophomore:

Ty Detmer
John Walsh
Mark Wilson
Gifford Nielsen

John Beck never did. Neither did McMahon. Max Hall could be MWC offensive player of the week for his performance. Jan Jorgenson could be defense POW.

I guess some people are just hard to please.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #23
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They were sloppy, inefficient at times and the running game didn't actually look that great.

Hall needs to look sharper in future games for us to continue to win.
We had 461 yards of total offense in 69 attempts. That's nearly seven yards an attempt. How much more efficient should they be?

The reason the running game didn't look that great is because CSU was trying to take away the run from us and force us to pass (which makes sense if they watched our last 3 games). There's a reason that Max Hall had a PER over 200.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
We had 461 yards of total offense in 69 attempts. That's nearly seven yards an attempt. How much more efficient should they be?

The reason the running game didn't look that great is because CSU was trying to take away the run from us and force us to pass (which makes sense if they watched our last 3 games). There's a reason that Max Hall had a PER over 200.
CSU was commonly stacking 8 or 9 men in the box determined to stop the run.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #25
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Maybe the game was spoiled by the ass sitting next to us taking up an extra seat and not willing to scoot down so we were sitting 3 people in 3 seats, or the idiots on the other side who found something wrong with every play (apparently Pitta was an "idiot" on his 30+ yard reception because he didn't score) but I wasn't overly impressed with the game either. I felt like we seemed a bit sloppy, like things were a bit out of sync.

I'll take a win whenever I can, but honestly this game seemed to be almost as much of a case of CSU's absolute suckiness as it did with BYU's dominance. The end point is BYU did what it needed to do to come away with the win, but it was also very clear why Colorado State is 1-7 (or is it 1-8 now).

We'll see how they fare against TCU.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #26
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
(apparently Pitta was an "idiot" on his 30+ yard reception because he didn't score)
I have to admit I rolled my eyes when he tripped on his way to the endzone. I laughed when TC (or was it the other guy?) blamed it on those tall blades of grass.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 PM   #27
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

It is apparent that Hall's 205 PER was largely due to CSU's inept defense, as the main reason it was so high was his 12+ yards per attempt, and the blown coverage on Collie's TD represents about 2 of those 12. Still, things like that happen and I was very impressed with Hall's ability to take advantage of the rush-prevent defense, as before this game I assumed that's what everyone would do to us the rest of the season. Now, teams will have to pick their poison.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Coaches don't care about dominant. They care about getting the win. If they wanted to win by a bigger margin they easily could have. But that's not really how they think. To them it's about getting the lead and then running out the clock.
Tell that to Mengino at Kansas.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #29
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
It is apparent that Hall's 205 PER was largely due to CSU's inept defense, as the main reason it was so high was his 12+ yards per attempt, and the blown coverage on Collie's TD represents about 2 of those 12. Still, things like that happen and I was very impressed with Hall's ability to take advantage of the rush-prevent defense, as before this game I assumed that's what everyone would do to us the rest of the season. Now, teams will have to pick their poison.
That pass to Collie may have been blown coverage but Hall did a great job of looking off the safety, he stared down teh left side of the field for a good second and a half. Then turned and threw to Collie.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #30
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tell that to Mengino at Kansas.
He held off the dogs for the 4th quarter, scoring only 7 of those points then. Nebraska was so awful he easily could have scored 100 in that game. Either way, you're stretching it to say BYU played badly. The whole fourth quarter was with mostly reserves in the game and BYU not trying to score. To coaches, dominating a game doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as it might to the fans. The fact that BYU basically stopped passing, had only their bench players in there and was only focused on running out the clock for the last quarter of the game is just as dominating to them as winning by a large margin. Of course, the fans don't have much of an appreciation for that. CSU was never in the game. A 205 PER is nothing to sneeze at. If they'd kept exploiting that they could have easily put more points on the board. The fact that they chose not to is not the same thing as playing poorly.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-04-2007 at 11:30 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote