cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, the 55,000 that were at the Fiesta Bowl would prove you wrong, but it has been a while since that happened.

Still, you folks know I'm right about BYU fans and travel. Even St. Lavell would agree and I didn't even mention the 10 commandments and a $20 bill.
If BYU ever were invited to a BCS bowl, you can bet your last dollar, BYU fans would be there in droves. As far as attendance smack, We are Kings of the Universe, outside of USC, Michigan, Ohio State ......
Old 09-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, the 55,000 that were at the Fiesta Bowl would prove you wrong...
These are "out-of-the-woodwork Utah fans." They're the kind of fans that might keep track of whether Utah wins when they read the sports on Sunday morning, but they would have no idea who Eric "God" Weddle is.

My in-laws are a little bit that way. They don't follow Utah super closely, but they'll travel to a key game if Utah has a good season.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #23
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Still, you folks know I'm right about BYU fans and travel. Even St. Lavell would agree and I didn't even mention the 10 commandments and a $20 bill.
You're way off on this one, IPU. We drove 6.5 hours and aside from SC, his wife, BG, and her son, I didn't run into anyone else from OK. All from TN, KS, AR, TX (we suffered the well), and a bunch of old codgers from UT. We occupied three full sections of that cruddy stadium.

Cougarnation represented well. We are fully invested.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
myboynoah

Oh, and BG, nice talking to you.

You brought salmon to a tailgate, a dead give away for non-Mormon.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #25
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't be fooled. BYU fans don't travel, unless you define "travel" as "drove no more than two hours to get to the game."

I'd wager that the large majority of the BYU fans there are locals.
If BYU ever scheduled to come play Minnesota (these days, a pretty easy win against one of those BCS teams that are so powerful), I'd be there. In fact, I've calculated where I'd travel to for a Cougar football game - Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Illinois, and Purdue. From here, Nebraska and Purdue are about an 8 hour drive.

I'd consider traveling 3 or 4 hours (Iowa State or Wisconsin) for other sports, even something like tennis or gymnastics. Just to cheer for my school, and to work on indoctrinating my kids correctly.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I will always say that most of the BYU fans in the stadium are locals. You folks that traveled to Tulsa get credit for doing so, but how many there lived in Tulsa or not far from Tulsa? How many came from Provo/Salt Lake to the game?

If you want me to admit that BYU outdraws Utah on the road, I will and have no problem doing that. BYU has a built in fan base pretty much anywhere they go because of Church affiliation, so most BYU fans in the stadium didn't travel.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #27
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
I will always say that most of the BYU fans in the stadium are locals. You folks that traveled to Tulsa get credit for doing so, but how many there lived in Tulsa or not far from Tulsa? How many came from Provo/Salt Lake to the game?

If you want me to admit that BYU outdraws Utah on the road, I will and have no problem doing that. BYU has a built in fan base pretty much anywhere they go because of Church affiliation, so most BYU fans in the stadium didn't travel.
I'll just repeat that we talked to TONS of BYU fans at the game, and none were from OK. Aside from the SoonerCougs and BG that is.

As a resonable comparisonl, how well does Utah travel to UNLV. Or somehwere in Colorado?
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #28
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

In fairness to Il Padrino, I saw about 15 people from my ward, and I had no idea any of them were going to be at the game.

That said, there are only about 30,000 Mormons in Oklahoma. That means there are probably only 10,000 active Mormons. And a lot of the local Mormons aren't BYU fans.

I'd say Okie BYU fans made up a very small percentage of the total BYU fans at the game.

I attended the Armed Forces Bowl last year, and I think we had many more BYU fans at the Tulsa game than Utah had at the Armed Forces Bowl.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, I've never claimed that Utah travels better (other than the Fiesta Bowl reference).

I didn't mean to make the thread about this. I was just trying to take a little dig.

I guess I only have myself to blame, eh? I'm used to that though. I'm married.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 PM   #30
myboynoah

Quote:
I didn't mean to make the thread about this. I was just trying to take a little dig.

I guess I only have myself to blame, eh? I'm used to that though. I'm married.
Well then, you know the drill. Admit you were wrong and beg forgiveness.